Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge WaveHD inverter error “18xB5 Vcap11 Surge” meaning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t have a panel layout before. But it looks like I’m going to have to call SolarEdge to update my account with the new inverter. I don’t see anyway to do it myself.
Actually, they will likely have you to contact your installer to do that. Your installer has admin rights and takes care of most of these things in your online account. Although, I don't know about the agreement between Tesla and SE. Maybe Se is responsible for online changes, but usually the installer is responsible.

Last edited:
Actually, they will likely have you to contact your installer to do that. Your installer has admin rights and takes care of most of these things in your online account. Although, I don't know about the agreement between Tesla and SE. Maybe Se is responsible for online changes, but usually the installer is responsible.
One can technically move the account into a persons name, and off installer, if both parties agree. I maybe doing that myself.

Final update after getting all the details ironed out with the new inverter.

I called SolarEdge and they were able to log into my site and update the serial number for the inverter. Since they issued the RMA I didn’t even need to give them the new serial, they had it in my case and just pasted it in. Within an hour the SolarEdge app and dashboard once again listed a current “last update” within 15 minutes of the present time. Before updating the serial it had been stuck with the last date and time the old broken inverter had updated.

The SolarEdge tech said to give it 24 hours before production data started showing up though. Life got in the way and after a week of no production data in the app even though it had current “last update” time stamps but I was finally able to call SolarEdge back today.

This is where it gets weird and why I am sharing, I’ve seen others online describe or scratch their heads in how this works so here is my experience with the Tesla black Zigbee box previously known as the solar gateway…

SolarEdge could see the inverter was online and could basically get the same info that I could see when connecting to the inverter locally. That is, the instantaneous production info, error log, and communication status. And communication status through Zigbee was A-OK.

The Tesla black box had no red errors on it, like show if it is out of range etc, and the white status light was lit. So everything should be working right???? I have no other Zigbee gateways or devices so the inverter was definitely communicating out through the Tesla box but just not sending production data…

So bit the bullet and called Tesla (avoided this because of the hours long wait on hold times and usually just told a ticket will be opened and then wait weeks for an email reply). Pleasantly after only a few minutes wait times got someone and explained the problem. They took down the notes and said, wait for it, they would open a ticket and get back to me! I asked if I would get an email with the ticket number and they said of course.

I never got an email with a ticket number. But a few hours later the day production history from the new inverter started showing up in the SolarEdge app! Oldest data first but after a few hours there week or two of data had caught up to present day.

So Tesla controls the flow of production data from the SolarEdge inverter to the SolarEdge dashboard and app. I’m not sure what they are doing but it seems kludgy and like they are working around some sort of limitation. It seems that the inverter can only send data one place and Tesla redirects it, but then also needs to forward it back in to SolarEdge?? One clue I got from the SolarEdge support was that from their end it showed that Ethernet was the source of my production data… but I’ve never ever had my inverters connected by Ethernet. But I bet Teslas’ server is connected via Ethernet, and it is getting the production data sent to it from my little black Tesla zigbee box.

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph
Thanks so much for this post. I just experienced the same error message after 8 months of successful solar production. We submitted a ticket to Tesla, but after reading this thread, I intend too contact SolarEdge and start the ball rolling on what I hope will be a quick replacement.

FYI, I experienced similar Tesla customer support problems. So the history you reported was very helpful. Thanks :)

Reactions: Electrph
I had similar error code on same inverter. I just reached out to Tesla. They immediately said I needed a replacement inverter. I guess they have realized this error code means something? Anyhow, I sent a picture of the error code- now I am supposed to wait 4-6 weeks for the replacement inverter to come in and schedule an appointment on my Tesla app. I didn’t go through Solaredge at all. We will see if I have better luck just going through Tesla and let them deal with the inverter company. Thanks for sharing your original post. It was crazy to go from this little error code to them telling me (without even coming out to look at it)- you need a new inverter🥲 I guess that’s technology for you?

I had similar error code on same inverter. I just reached out to Tesla. They immediately said I needed a replacement inverter. I guess they have realized this error code means something? Anyhow, I sent a picture of the error code- now I am supposed to wait 4-6 weeks for the replacement inverter to come in and schedule an appointment on my Tesla app. I didn’t go through Solaredge at all. We will see if I have better luck just going through Tesla and let them deal with the inverter company. Thanks for sharing your original post. It was crazy to go from this little error code to them telling me (without even coming out to look at it)- you need a new inverter🥲 I guess that’s technology for you?

What is the exact code you got? Also, if you didn't go through Solarege, how can you compare the luck between dealing with both companies?