Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! Curious how complicated the roof is, in terms of different planes and vents/etc? I'm guessing 9.1kW wasn't 'max solar' unless there's a good bit going on on the roof?

Woferry, the roof is pretty basic with three main sections. Max solar would have put active solar on the north-facing side of our roof so that didn't make much sense. Here is a diagram showing the active tile placement.

Attachments

• solar Glass.jpg
    solar Glass.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: jboy210 and MP3Mike
FYI - I uploaded my power bill and took photos yesterday, then called and spoke to my advisor at Tesla Energy today, and he said in Los Angeles the Solarglass install will probably be about 8 weeks from now. Much sooner than I thought. I'm not sure if it's because I already had a $1000 solar roof reservation. He said installs in colder states might take another few months. He mentioned that they have lots of orders and they are trying to hire lots of employees to help with planning and installations.

@BlackM3 could you upload a cropped image of your home from google maps or something? im really intrigued what it is about my also los angeles home that is completly ill suited for solar roof. still pissed that over the course of my 3 year pre order they managed to make the product that would perfectly suit my needs into something that make my home non applicable...

will also take a pm message if you dont want to broadcast such info.

FYI - I uploaded my power bill and took photos yesterday, then called and spoke to my advisor at Tesla Energy today, and he said in Los Angeles the Solarglass install will probably be about 8 weeks from now. Much sooner than I thought. I'm not sure if it's because I already had a $1000 solar roof reservation. He said installs in colder states might take another few months. He mentioned that they have lots of orders and they are trying to hire lots of employees to help with planning and installations.

From that point I think it took 6 weeks or so before got a proposal with the layout and a contract item in our account. The contract states installation start in 3 to 6 months.

• Informative
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
I behaved myself and did all the photos required and sat and waited. Well I read someone on here called their "advisor," and the next thing happened fast.
So Yesterday I called my advisor, She informed me I needed to have a rep come out and look it over though the photos I sent in were "helpful." I called the scheduler today, and day after tomorrow (friday) the representative will be here to assess my structure at 9 in the morning.
They told me it may take 4 hours. I laughed and said as small as my home is I thought it would take four minutes. They told me it more often takes 8 hours but the photos were useful to the point that it dropped the time to 4 hrs.

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
I behaved myself and did all the photos required and sat and waited. Well I read someone on here called their "advisor," and the next thing happened fast.
So Yesterday I called my advisor, She informed me I needed to have a rep come out and look it over though the photos I sent in were "helpful." I called the scheduler today, and day after tomorrow (friday) the representative will be here to assess my structure at 9 in the morning.
They told me it may take 4 hours. I laughed and said as small as my home is I thought it would take four minutes. They told me it more often takes 8 hours but the photos were useful to the point that it dropped the time to 4 hrs.

Sounds like we have the same sit survey scheduled for the 15th. They also said they needed 4 hours. We have to be here and they gave us just a start time window 9-11AM

My install start date just got pushed from January 15th to the 22nd. Cited weather (rain in the forecast) and crew scheduling.

Interesting, a co-worker just signed-off and his San Jose job is also scheduled for 1/22. Curious whether one of you two will be bumped or if there are now at least 2 crews running in the area.

At least with v2 last March it was purely Tesla employees for everything but the gutters. They had told me that my tear-off would be done by a contractor, but that changed by the time of the job and the install crew also did the tear-off.

As I told my co-worker, two pieces of advice I'd give (more about the tear-off so probably more generic to any roofing job, the install itself was pretty smooth) that they'll hopefully do but in case they haven't incorporated my feedback. I'd suggest you do a thorough check for anything close to your house that might be broken during tear-off, given that a large portion of the yard close to the house will probably be tarped, and could be hit by falling debris or people stepping on the tarp not realizing what was underneath. I had a few small things broken, like a water sprinkler, a security sign, a hummingbird feeder (the feeder survived, but the ant blocker that it attached to broke after being bumped too many times), and a hose that tore open after getting run over with a hand truck many times while staging materials on my back patio. None of them were a big enough deal for me to raise a stink about, but you can save yourself some hassle by moving/protecting anything similar in case they don't ask you to do something about it first. The second has to do with roof vents, I'd suggest asking them to be particularly careful about anything that ends in a fan, to make sure debris doesn't get into the vent that could make a mess or cause damage. My hall bathroom fan picked up a good bit of roof debris, but fortunately I was replacing it anyway. But I made sure they covered my microwave vent and kept it covered until they had the new flashing ready, preferring a few days of inconvenience not being able to use the vent vs. possibly getting staples or wood chunks or the like into the fan.

Reactions: jboy210 and MP3Mike
@woferry. Did they replace or cover your roof stack vents and other protrusions? The brochure that came with the quote showed some cool looking vents, but I did not know if these were included, and if they were just covers of the existing pipes that run through the roof or they redo the stack pipes from the inside.

I need some help. Tesla finally came back with a quote of $46,000 for solar roof.

My electricity bill is around $80 per month. Should I get solar or just get a normal roof for $12,000?

My utility does net metering and the way SCE is doing their tier rates I don't think it'll much sense to go solar. What do you think? Will I end up spending more money by going solar or just keep paying my electricity as is?

My biggest goal is on saving money. How long will it take to break even? Thanks!

I need some help. Tesla finally came back with a quote of $46,000 for solar roof.

My electricity bill is around $80 per month. Should I get solar or just get a normal roof for $12,000?

My utility does net metering and the way SCE is doing their tier rates I don't think it'll much sense to go solar. What do you think? Will I end up spending more money by going solar or just keep paying my electricity as is?

My biggest goal is on saving money. How long will it take to break even? Thanks!
does your solar roof quote include powerwalls?

If your electricity bill is only $80 total, in Los Angeles, with SCE, I dont think solar makes much sense from a "want to save money" perspective.. unless you have a huge spike in usage during the summer. Im curious how you are charging 2 cars and only spending $80 a month in electricity though, as your signature says you have 2 model 3s. If thats the case, you must not drive hardly at all.

No, and they just sent me a recommended install quote. It's crazy.

I pay like $1100 a year and they want me to install a $90k solar roof.

I don't think I can get a check for over producing. What should I do? Not go solar?

Screenshot_20200111-180945_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200111-180616_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200111-180945_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111-180945_Chrome.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
If your electricity bill is only $80 total, in Los Angeles, with SCE, I dont think solar makes much sense from a "want to save money" perspective.. unless you have a huge spike in usage during the summer. Im curious how you are charging 2 cars and only spending $80 a month in electricity though, as your signature says you have 2 model 3s. If thats the case, you must not drive hardly at all.

Thank you! I will email the advisor on a despot return if solar doesn't make sense. Still trying to read more about it. Also, this is out of my price range if ROI is low as I want to get a Cybertruck too :)

My wife and I drive about 20k to 25k miles a year. We charge after 10pm which is .12 to .13 cents per khw. Home is efficient which we hardly have to run the AC, and before Teslas our bill was around $25 per month for electricity.

20200111_181456.jpg
20200111_181429.jpg