Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold a New Car, Found out its Used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends,
Well, I finally finally finally since my search first began in March 2019, Got a car. After a 5,000 supercharging fiasco, losing that and forced to change advisors I was offered a new car. A new model 3 with blue, but the kicker is this new car had 19 in rims on it. After debating whether to shell out 1,500 for the upgrade I bit. After all, I would finally get my dream car and getting the car and two days before the tax credit was cut in half.

They stopped doing local deliveries so, my family and I packed and loaded up in my trusty old trade in. We drove the 2.5 trip and looked forward to taking delivery.
A 10 am appointed turned into a 1 pm pickup waiting there for hours. Excuses given car was on a supercharger, car was being detailed.
Finally, we get to see the car that had been left out in the rain and soaking wet, So much for that multiple hour detailing wait.

First impression, with a delivery advisor hovering over us was something is wrong with this car. It was very uncomfortable and many comments where made referring to using wanting to look at the car, we were rushed and told to take it or they will be removing it from us. A strategy to maybe force a buyer to accept a vehicle without an inspection, this is all after they demanded we sign papers and pay before even seeing the car. They were deeply offended when we refused to sign.
Moving past the delivery employees,

The car, well this care was not just dirty but, filthy. We asked what wrong with the car, was it detailed? How many people have been in the car? Why was the condition looking so poor. They countered with do we want it or not with no further details. I insisted enough that they came out with a spray bottle and wiped some scuff marks, they could not be removed. These scuff marks are deep into the plastic, on all four doors, door wells, and seats, especially the back seats and drivers door well. The pillars where multiple colored riddled with fingerprints, the same for visors and mirrors.

We reluctantly accepted delivery, thinking it was new, and maybe it just needs a professional clean.

Leaving the dealership, we found the wheel was off center and the car wants to veer off the road to the right.

Confused and upset with the condition of the car, we reached out to anyone willing to help, Many calls where made and emails sent. Until a good soul finally answered our question.

It turns out this car was a showroom car, for multiple months, in the second highest traffic mall in the country.

We found pictures online of the car, called the store and he said he was well aware of that car and many cars are damaged from heavy usage in the showroom, especially from a mall.

Now what?
We feel a $50,000+ purchase is a big deal, saving for years to have the opportunity to buy a magical piece of delicate equipment.

Thinking we are getting a new vehicle, being lied to about the usage and condition.
Tesla is not willing to even pay for alignment, or offer some type of explanation, or repair the cosmetic damage, nor mechanical (alignment, tire balance).

We paid full price for this car including the upgraded rims.

This car was located at Aventura Mall in Miami.

Attachments

• IMG_20190702_195402967.jpg
    IMG_20190702_195402967.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20190702_211503096.jpg
    IMG_20190702_211503096.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 242
At most dealers, cars sit on the lot and in the showroom, sometimes for extended periods of time and are sold as new. IT's very possible that a lot of people have gotten into the car, maybe even test driven it, and things get scuffed up. As far as I know, these are ALL sold as new cars.

To me, your picture show a rear seat with some slight scuffs on it and another car, except for the wheels, is MY car.

Steering wheel alignment is something that other cars have had issues with, a simple fix, from what I understand. The scuffs look like something a wet cloth or spray product will make disappear.

Picking up the car on the last days of the busiest quarter so far, may have saved a few dollars, but I'm sure was very hectic. I can easily see that all of the Superchargers were full, even the 35 Superchargers at the Aventura Mall.

I will say that you must have had some very specific requirements to have to drive to at least the 5th closest location to you to pick up a car. Or maybe you waited until the last minute to try to get a better deal.

Hello Ewoodrick,

The people tried to remove the scuff marks, what you see is the aftermath of multiple attempts to wipe them off.
First of all, I know showroom cars come with discounts, in fact, there are entire websites for finding these largely discounted cars.
They represent the car as used in a showroom, used for tests drives, offering a substantial discount for accepting them
This was not the case, this car was represented as new, never used for any form of promotion.

The picture of my car in the showroom was confirmed via the vin BY a sales agent in the mall.

I truly hope you are not scammed and cheated in your future. We all know these cars are built to be cared for not abused. Every part of this car is built with sensitive electronics due of respect in usage.
Further details, delivery was not busy, there were two deliveries that took the entire time we were there, One being ours another being a great and friendly couple.

Shall I pass on this $300 dollar bill tesla has already quoted me to repair this vehicle?

• Disagree
Reactions: Russell
Slightly similar experience with my MX100D June 10 Delivery. But I chalked it up to a poor Delivery Center and staff. Similar senario, dirty car, oil stains on my white vegan seats (yes, oil stains) and other interior panels.

We got to our 5:00pm appt and the person they assigned to us didn't see us until 6:30pm and said, noone told him that we were waiting over there and that he is not aware we were coming. There were more issues that is all behind me now and don't care to repeat anymore.:mad:

I posted my experience in the Tesla forum and I was chastised by a few of the diehard fans over there. Yes, I did get some dollars off the sticker, and yes I did get Free Unlimited SC, but $100k new inventory car should not have oil stains nor should I be rushed to sign paper work. I asked if they can give me a detail credit and their response is, if you don't like this car, you can always custom order.

Needless to say, being an existing Tesla owner and even owning a very little amount in Tesla shares, I took it on the chin and moved on. Love the cars, the technology and the mission - it's just they suck in Customer Service right now and they need to correct that.

Oh, and that Free Unlimited SC is currently not active with multiple efforts by me and my sales advisor to correct to no avail. Hopefully I'll get it soon... not EM soon, but soon.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
At most dealers, cars sit on the lot and in the showroom, sometimes for extended periods of time and are sold as new. IT's very possible that a lot of people have gotten into the car, maybe even test driven it, and things get scuffed up. As far as I know, these are ALL sold as new cars.
Cars that are used as showroom demos are sold as such. Yes they are "new cars", but they are in a category of their own. Not disclosing that the car was a showroom demo seems pretty close to fraud to me.

I agree with traxilla. I say this also as a shareholder, multiple Tesla owner, and someone who has to put up with you on a daily basis. ;)

This was a completely fraudulent move by the company which, unfortunately, continues to behave rather shamelessly and/or incompetently. I am beyond disappointment. Good thing the stock went up today but my loyalty reserves have been exhausted at this point.

• Funny
Reactions: 3Sweet
As many have said, “Return it,” within the first 7 days or less than 1000 miles. If you don’t return it, then don’t complain with what you decided to keep. Just sayin.... yeah, I agree with you 100% on the BS you went through leading up to a rushed delivery. But now, you have the power to put it back on them. Free Will.

How many miles were on it? I do seem to recall that if it hasn't been titled and under a certain mileage a car could be sold as New actually. Not a Tesla thing but a auto sales thing. There's been discussion on this in a thread or two in the past. So if they said it was a new car, they may have been correct in saying so.

If I paid full price (that is what you paid right?) for a new car and found people had been in it as a demo unit, even if it hadn't been driven, and it was in less than desirable condition, I think I would have rejected it off the bat. The steering wheel alignment from having heard this happened to a few owners cars on here is an easy fix. Sounds like you're saying they won't do that as a due bill item though?

I'm sure they were busy with deliveries two days before end of quarter and can see them wanting to move sales along. My delivery at a delivery center end of quarter rush was in the morning also. Think I was the second or third that morning so was more or less on time to start off. I could tell by the end of my appointment however that more new owners had shown up, some requiring no real time with the car and paperwork and others needing way more which pushed other appointments back. If cars had recently come off the trailer and needed charging, that can delay the actual delivery time too. I don't think I had a full charge but enough to get me closer to home and a Supercharger on the way. Just the way it is from what I've seen based on my own delivery during crunch time.

As people have said, if you don't feel like you can be happy with the car's condition and what they will or won't do for you then return it. Tesla wants happy owners so made this offer and it doesn't sound like this particular car will make you happy.

Hello friends,
Well, I finally finally finally since my search first began in March 2019, Got a car. After a 5,000 supercharging fiasco, losing that and forced to change advisors I was offered a new car. A new model 3 with blue, but the kicker is this new car had 19 in rims on it. After debating whether to shell out 1,500 for the upgrade I bit. After all, I would finally get my dream car and getting the car and two days before the tax credit was cut in half.

They stopped doing local deliveries so, my family and I packed and loaded up in my trusty old trade in. We drove the 2.5 trip and looked forward to taking delivery.
A 10 am appointed turned into a 1 pm pickup waiting there for hours. Excuses given car was on a supercharger, car was being detailed.
Finally, we get to see the car that had been left out in the rain and soaking wet, So much for that multiple hour detailing wait.

First impression, with a delivery advisor hovering over us was something is wrong with this car. It was very uncomfortable and many comments where made referring to using wanting to look at the car, we were rushed and told to take it or they will be removing it from us. A strategy to maybe force a buyer to accept a vehicle without an inspection, this is all after they demanded we sign papers and pay before even seeing the car. They were deeply offended when we refused to sign.
Moving past the delivery employees,

The car, well this care was not just dirty but, filthy. We asked what wrong with the car, was it detailed? How many people have been in the car? Why was the condition looking so poor. They countered with do we want it or not with no further details. I insisted enough that they came out with a spray bottle and wiped some scuff marks, they could not be removed. These scuff marks are deep into the plastic, on all four doors, door wells, and seats, especially the back seats and drivers door well. The pillars where multiple colored riddled with fingerprints, the same for visors and mirrors.

We reluctantly accepted delivery, thinking it was new, and maybe it just needs a professional clean.

Leaving the dealership, we found the wheel was off center and the car wants to veer off the road to the right.

Confused and upset with the condition of the car, we reached out to anyone willing to help, Many calls where made and emails sent. Until a good soul finally answered our question.

It turns out this car was a showroom car, for multiple months, in the second highest traffic mall in the country.

We found pictures online of the car, called the store and he said he was well aware of that car and many cars are damaged from heavy usage in the showroom, especially from a mall.

Now what?
We feel a $50,000+ purchase is a big deal, saving for years to have the opportunity to buy a magical piece of delicate equipment.

Thinking we are getting a new vehicle, being lied to about the usage and condition.
Tesla is not willing to even pay for alignment, or offer some type of explanation, or repair the cosmetic damage, nor mechanical (alignment, tire balance).

We paid full price for this car including the upgraded rims.

This car was located at Aventura Mall in Miami.
How many miles were on the odometer when you took delivery? Seems like that would have indicated whether is was a demo or not.

I have insider knowledge on this situation. She was told the car had been sitting in a parking lot for two months, but remained suspicious after taking the car, and was only informed AFTER taking the car that it had been a demo. Keep in mind...there was a lot of pressure to take the car in large part because of the expiring tax credit. The concerns upon taking the car were felt to be probably just cosmetic and so she was willing to bite the bullet on a detail.

But now...knowing the car was sitting in a very busy shopping mall for those two months...there are concerns that more problems will become apparent before long. A Tesla employee who works at this shopping mall advised her to return it. The car was picked up in West Palm Beach, BTW...NOT at the shopping mall in Aventura.

The car only had 30 miles on it because it was not a drivable demo, but it does sound like thousands of people were free to enter and exit the car at will. Who knows what kind of stress was put on the steering wheel, or the seats, or whatever else. Who knows how many times the doors or the trunk or frunk were open and closed, slammed shut, etc.

The car's going back.

Really sorry to hear about this. I’d return it. But Tesla will take 60 days to issue a refund so be prepared to wait for your money. It’s always better to reject a car you’re not completely satisfied with then to take it and rely on the 7 day return policy. You will get your money back, but it will be on Elon time. And of course if you order again you have the reduced tax credit now. Bummer.

It can be sold as new but I feel it should be disclosed as a demo. Of course there is no legal requirement. A car can have significant undisclosed body work done and still be sold as new in most states. That’s what dealers do before putting them on the front lot.

Anyway, they should have indicated it was a showroom car and offered a discount.

But I don’t buy that people sitting in it would destroy the steering. Lots of 3s have been delivered misaligned.