Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my car- won't let the buyer supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my model 3 (got a Y), and the buyer flew in to pick it up. I removed the vehicle from my Tesla account so they could put it into their account but apparently they can't do that until the Title is in their name. We did transfer ownership but apparently it takes a couple of weeks for the buyer to receive the new title.

So now, Tesla has locked supercharging because there is no payment information associated with the car.

Any ideas how the buyer can get home?

So now, Tesla has locked supercharging because there is no payment information associated with the car.
Have you actually tried to Supercharge the car? Or is this "locked" statement something that appears on a screen (app or car)? If it's the latter, I'd take the car to the nearest Supercharger and plug it in and see what happens.

My understanding is that you can Supercharge the car if there's no credit card information on the account, but don't expect it to last a long time. Good enough for your buyer to get back home? Don't know.

As far as getting in contact with somebody, there's been some advice given here about how to get a human on the line. It involves calling the local Service Center and navigating the menu to select the option to check the status of your repair. I've not tried it, but you might give it a shot.

Reactions: bedoig
Have you actually tried to Supercharge the car? Or is this "locked" statement something that appears on a screen (app or car)? If it's the latter, I'd take the car to the nearest Supercharger and plug it in and see what happens.

My understanding is that you can Supercharge the car if there's no credit card information on the account, but don't expect it to last a long time. Good enough for your buyer to get back home? Don't know.

As far as getting in contact with somebody, there's been some advice given here about how to get a human on the line. It involves calling the local Service Center and navigating the menu to select the option to check the status of your repair. I've not tried it, but you might give it a shot.
This human won't be able to help. It's just some random at the shop and they can't really help title transfer.

Reactions: jjrandorin
They might have a contact further up the chain.

So, Googling around I find this: (888) 518-3752 which is supposed to be Tesla Customer Service. Then there's Roadside Assistance at (877) 798-3752. Both sound like you might get in contact with an actual carbon-based lifeform who can help.

I just sold my model 3 (got a Y), and the buyer flew in to pick it up. I removed the vehicle from my Tesla account so they could put it into their account but apparently they can't do that until the Title is in their name. We did transfer ownership but apparently it takes a couple of weeks for the buyer to receive the new title.

My understanding is that rather than removing it from your account you are supposed to transfer it to the other person's account directly.

And then there were articles a while back that you could put a credit card in on the screen in the Model 3 to pay for a single Supercharging session even if it wasn't currently in a Tesla account. Maybe that didn't actually happen, or it got pulled?

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Ooh boy, you should have done your home work. I sold my 3 to a buyer that flew in. We had everything done before he flew in. I was driving his car before he came to pick it up :).

We magically got it transferred all in one day. But you don’t remove the car from your account. Ever. Let them pull it out when they are ready to put it somewhere else.

But if you can put it back add him to your account and track what he owes you.

I’ll never sell remote again. It was a lot of work and a lot of building up trust of one another. Lucky it worked out fine. He was thrilled.

There really should be a sticky on this in the Tesla for Sale forum.

Last edited:
Yes, and I added the buyers name and email address.

He supercharged before leaving town and it let him. But then he received an email that said supercharging would be disabled because there was no valid form of payment even though he added his credit card.

Anyway, his first attempt to rectify this with Tesla got him nowhere and they told him it was a security feature. He called again and found someone who was able to process the payment with the credit card on file and then the supercharging was re-enabled. Not clear why the card wasn't processed properly the first time, but all is good now. What a pain though.

Most people that buy a Tesla directly from Tesla don't know what is required to get a car registered to your Tesla account because Tesla does all that for you prior to delivering your car. I bought my car used and it took almost a week after submitting all my paper work to Tesla before the car was actually registered to my account. It's good to know through this thread that there is a transfer process from buyer to buyer, but when you are buying from a used car lot, this is not an option. When you go to Tesla's support page there is an option there for adding a car to your account and it involves uploading the right paperwork and a few days time.

Last edited:
Just went through this as a buyer. I did not have any title work but they did accept a copy of the bill of sale. Once I did that on the app, I submitted my credit card information on line and was able to supercharge. if this didn't work I would have turned on wifi to a non working router, ie my phone and hook up to a supercharger. I understand that if there is no service, the car would still charge. Tesla don't tell you that they take bill of sales. Taken a picture of that and uploaded to the app allowed this to work.

Did any of this happen yesterday while Tesla had their big outage?

Nope, this was all today.

The buyer was asked for the title when uploading documents. He probably did not know that a bill of sale would work but Tesla should make that clear.

The interesting thing is that I told the buyer to supercharge before he left town and he did. It worked but then he received an email saying "supercharger payment needed". So he called and they told him future supercharging is disabled. And the only way to re-enable is to get the proper documents uploaded which we already tried but because the title wasn't in his name yet, the account was not active. Just a big run-around.

Next Tesla agent was able to login with his account and validate the credit card for supercharger payment. So not sure why Tesla doesn't make this easy, but it's all good now.

Nope, this was all today.

The buyer was asked for the title when uploading documents. He probably did not know that a bill of sale would work but Tesla should make that clear.

The interesting thing is that I told the buyer to supercharge before he left town and he did. It worked but then he received an email saying "supercharger payment needed". So he called and they told him future supercharging is disabled. And the only way to re-enable is to get the proper documents uploaded which we already tried but because the title wasn't in his name yet, the account was not active. Just a big run-around.

Next Tesla agent was able to login with his account and validate the credit card for supercharger payment. So not sure why Tesla doesn't make this easy, but it's all good now.
Glad it worked out. Not sure if Tesla actually knew about being able to upload the bill of sale. I did it for it was the only document that I had available. Hell, Like Brkaus mentioned, it takes so long to get the title work completed. Took me over a month myself.