Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you about the climate change. But what I finally accepted is that most people will not do the right thing unless there is another reason to do so. IE, that EVs are much better than gas (which they are in almost every worthwhile metric but people are slow to get over the stigma), gas is really expensive (which with how pricing is skewed, it appears it’s cheap to people) and better for our health (which it is but not yet bad enough to convince the average person).

Most people are reasonable practical, not zealots on either end of the spectrum . When Tesla can produce a car that costs and can be financed & leased like most average ICE cars, AND can be serviced/repaired like the average ICE vehicles, AND can be "refueled" in a few minutes, then mass adoption will occur. Forget the "saving the environment" aspect. People don't care if it doesn't fit their budget.

Do you think VW should not have been forced to buy back the diesel cars which required new firmware limiting the hp and efficiency?
It’s important to note that nowhere in the world was VW “forced” to buy back those cars.

You can speculate as to whether or not it would have reached that point if they had continued to resist instead of roll over and offer a generous settlement - but “forced” means something that simply doesn’t apply here.

eye.doctor got a very reasonable replacement car. Few would find his choice objectionable. Not a big Mercedes etc.

Gotta calm down here. Everything is OK.

Everybody has the right to make their own choices, based on their individual experiences.

People need to stop being so judgemental.

Hopefully when the World gets back to normalcy we can get back to enjoying our fantastic Teslas.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Very wrong.

You wrote:

"Everybody has the right to make their own choices, based on their individual experiences."

Yes, if only that were the case.

Unfortunately, that's a huge issue when we all have to share one friggin' planet, one with a future in great peril because for over a century it's been the norm to just dump your GHG's at ZERO cost. The thinking in that statement above may end up killing us all.

For the OP to replace an EV with a NON-EV is unconscionable; to think otherwise screams massive, stunning, willful ignorance, or an "I don't give a damn/FU!" attitude.

Do you see a third option? I sure as heck don't see one.

Perhaps if you had a better understanding of the threat, you'd avoid posting such things?

Start here:

www.climate.nasa.gov

Thx.

If that were only so. Tesla has more demand than supply. If Dr. did not buy a new tesla, then somebody else did. Someone also purchased his old Model S, so that is still working to save the planet.
He just removed himself from the EV world, but left a space open for someone else.

The Model S battery and drivetrain warranty is now 8 years, 150k miles. Still pretty good. But some people are just plain disgruntled and unlikely to change their mind. Not worth the effort.

True this.

But not applicable for the OP as his is/was 8 years/unlimited mileage.

Odd, as unlimited miles is just asking for abuse a la Tesloop's 400k- and 500k-mile cars . . . . Still, 150k isn't bad; 200k would have been nicer though:)

Hmmm.

Destroying one's planetary home would be one Hell of a harm, no?

Oh please. You think the mining and refining of battery components is Snow White pure?

I am interested in a Tesla because efficiency is its own virtue. (And the acceleration too).

The snark I can put up with. Perhaps even understand once I get my own Tesla though the interiors are decidedly below Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes. I probably won't feel too smart (or snarky) about that part of the deal. But I still want the car.

It's a nice side benefit that nitrogen and sulphur oxides will not be going into the air. From the car at least, don't know about the power plants. Since I will be charging largely during the overnight hours, those electrons will be fossil fuel generated (well, maybe a small percentage from nuclear and hydro given my location).

Outsiders like me come here trying to learn about EV's. But climate religious extremism is repulsive. Makes me (and probably others) think you are all zealots.

The science? The rocks tell the story. Unequivocally most of the Phanerozoic Eon carbon dioxide was measured in thousands of ppm and life flourished everywhere.

Sure, call me a Denier - the age-old slur used by religious zealots for the non-cult members. In your case I will not be surprised.

Ok, let's modify @David.85D 's house example. Imagine you bought a house with a basement and builder came one day while you were away and flooded the entire basement with concrete, or some epoxy, or some expanding foam filler. Upon realizing your basement is encased in some substance, you try to ask the builder about it and they tell you "this is normal", but someone theorizes that "the builder didn't calculate the loads properly, and they had to encase the basement to prevent the house from collapsing into the basement", you'd be understanding and say "yea, I don't like it, but I'm ok with it"?

And is this somehow equivalent to a minor reduction in Supercharger speeds and battery capacity?

Let us not forget, the Supercharger network barely existed when the OP purchased his terrible MS . . . the one that has him livid with Elon for pushing the envelope just a hair too far.

And now his anger is manifested by a "TAKE THIS!" purchase of an ICE vehicle, a purchase that harms our planet's future?

Sorry, but the logic escapes me, especially now with all those "Tesla Killers" from Jaguar, Audi, MBZ, et al, that are unable to match the performance of a 2012 Model S.

You keep telling people to keep buying new Teslas when their old ones get nerfed. I get you want to save the planet. So, are you donating your savings to the cause, maybe offer to pay 10% of the cost of a new Tesla for anyone buying a Tesla instead of an ICE car replacement? Think of all the good you'd be doing for the planet. If you're thinking "I'm not giving people my hard earned money so they can save the planet", well, that is what the OP thought when he chose not to give Tesla more money.

" . . . when their old ones get nerfed."

Huh?

A minor reduction in SC speed is "nerfing" the car?

Ah, no.

Look, the reality is that all cars, even Teslas, are superseded by newer, better cars that are likely to cost less (if it's a Tesla). The OP choose to replace his MS with an ICE and that is unconscionable to any and all that have even the slightest clue on just how far behind we are in addressing the risks posed by unchecked GHG dumping.

His purchase of an ICE "GHG dumper" is beyond the pale; this was a mistake that he will likely regret.

Buy a new Tesla after 6 years when your old one craps out! It’s what’s best for the environment!... can’t find any fault in that logic

A silly, illogical statement.

The old car isn't crushed--it's simply sold as "Used" to a buyer at a lower price point who won't consider the car "crapped out" because the SC speed is a fraction less than a new Tesla's . . . .

Oh please. You think the mining and refining of battery components is Snow White pure?

I am interested in a Tesla because efficiency is its own virtue. (And the acceleration too).

The snark I can put up with. Perhaps even understand once I get my own Tesla though the interiors are decidedly below Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes. I probably won't feel too smart (or snarky) about that part of the deal. But I still want the car.

It's a nice side benefit that nitrogen and sulphur oxides will not be going into the air. From the car at least, don't know about the power plants. Since I will be charging largely during the overnight hours, those electrons will be fossil fuel generated (well, maybe a small percentage from nuclear and hydro given my location).

Outsiders like me come here trying to learn about EV's. But climate religious extremism is repulsive. Makes me (and probably others) think you are all zealots.

The science? The rocks tell the story. Unequivocally most of the Phanerozoic Eon carbon dioxide was measured in thousands of ppm and life flourished everywhere.

Sure, call me a Denier - the age-old slur used by religious zealots for the non-cult members. In your case I will not be surprised.

Wow, such profound ignorance and on so many subjects.

First, the difference between religion and science is that one is based upon make-believe and random notes from centuries ago; the other is based on repeatable experiments and the scientific method. I'd encourage you to learn a bit about the climate effects of dumping gigatons of GHG's; they're huge and create feedback loops that can ruin an entire planet.

Bummer we have but one, eh?

Second, as a self-professed "denier" it's best you not post here. it's akin to saying you don't believe in gravity and equally as dim. Science really doesn't care what you believe . . . .

Third, we've had solar panels to power our two Teslas since 2013. Our power bill for the entire year in 2019 was under $14. And Tesla takes great pains to sustainably source their battery materials, and the materials don't "wear out" so at EOL they're simply recycled into new batteries. Ah, the things you can learn on the TMC Forums!

Tesla launches battery recycling at Nevada Gigafactory

reading TSLA Pilots koolaid post wondering if he's also a vegan and friend of carole baskin.
giphy.gif

That is a good point. As the carbon dioxide increases the Earth warms. While is in inconvenient for humans, for plants and many other animals they will thrive and flourish. Dinosaurs might even re emerge.

You'll want to spend less time watching Faux News (it makes you look less than bright when you step out of the bubble:)

New study undercuts favorite climate myth ‘more CO2 is good for plants’

CO2 is making Earth greener—for now – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

‘Global Greening’ Sounds Good. In the Long Run, It’s Terrible.

Most people are reasonable practical, not zealots on either end of the spectrum . When Tesla can produce a car that costs and can be financed & leased like most average ICE cars, AND can be serviced/repaired like the average ICE vehicles, AND can be "refueled" in a few minutes, then mass adoption will occur. Forget the "saving the environment" aspect. People don't care if it doesn't fit their budget.

Yep, until something like C-19 wakes them up.

I wonder what something that makes C-19 look like a picnic might do how much people care?

Regardless, just because a lot of people are about as smart as a box of rocks doesn't give a pass to our OP, does it?

Not sure how your comment helps his/her position.

reading TSLA Pilots koolaid post wondering if he's also a vegan and friend of carole baskin.
giphy.gif

Koolaid post?

Wow, now that's an impressive rebuttal.

Last time I checked, facts mattered. How 'bout you get some to post if you think I'm off base?

In the interim, here's some homework for you to get started on:

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Free will always wins over forced will in the long run. Hearts and minds through influence, not force. History proves this over and over. Forced will results in resistance and negative outcomes for all. If you want to influence positive outcomes, then convince with facts, data, and logic and then support the right to choose. OP has the right to choose. Opponents have the right to state their case. If it is compelling, OP will change his mind - if not then it can’t be forced.

Free will always wins over forced will in the long run. Hearts and minds through influence, not force. History proves this over and over. Forced will results in resistance and negative outcomes for all. If you want to influence positive outcomes, then convince with facts, data, and logic and then support the right to choose. OP has the right to choose. Opponents have the right to state their case. If it is compelling, OP will change his mind - if not then it can’t be forced.

Ah, yes, "forcing."

How cute.

The reality is that we've had the ability to dump GHG's without incurring any cost--future generations are left holding the bag. It's called an "externality" when you can make someone else clean up your mess, at their expense.

Let's not glorify what is a morally reprehensible position.

BTW, that "good deal" is going to end, hopefully soon.

(Guess what'll happen to the resale value of ICE when that happens?)

Got any links about COVID conspiracy's or 5G while you're at it. clearly this quarantine is rotting your brain.

Care to post even a single, legitimate, sciential link that would support anything you've posted here?

I post links because what I write is supported by facts. Your absurd statements are apparently supported by . . . you?

Sorry, but that's not adding much to the discussion; please correct.

Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.