Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would any car manufacturer replace a battery/engine for a more expensive one? If you paid for an 85, you get an 85. They cost less than the 100. That's like me going to an ICE dealership with my $50,000 car and saying that the new $50,000 car has more horsepower and more torque, so if they don't replace my faulty engine with less horsepower with a new engine that has more horsepower, they are cheating me out of something and it is terrible customer service. Geez, these people should think about how the world is in lockdown and damn look forward to driving their beautiful Teslas somewhere nice when this virus is beaten.
Probably because they don’t make the 85kwh battery so it would be easier logistics wise to put a 100 in.

technically speaking, over time? ICE cars lose horsepower and fuel efficiency with normal usage/normal wear/tear of internal engine components.
That is true, however that deterioration can be slowed or eliminated by proper maintenance. And no, replacing an entire car every 4 years is not considered reasonable maintenance.

Do you think VW should not have been forced to buy back the diesel cars which required new firmware limiting the hp and efficiency? Should the courts have said "all those ICE engines will eventually lose hp with age anyways, so the required firmware upgrade is no different"?

• Love
Reactions: First EV and AMPd
Buying this in 2016, I knew it was a technology purchase built to be obselete. I don't complain that my Motorola Razr from the mid-2000's doesn't take 12MP pictures and can't download apps. :)
Not an apples-to-apples comparison. Cell phones have a typical lifecycle of 2-4 years, cars 10-15 years. To take it the extreme you could say "I don't complain that the chewing gum I bought and started chewing an hour ago has no flavor left, so a car which rusts away in a month is ok".;)

Reactions: First EV
There is now an upgrade path for MCU 1 to 2 and will probably be available for everyone.

Once there is an upgrade path for the batteries, that should help take care of “most” of the remaining complaints...especially if Tesla could offer a discount for those highly affected by “chargegate”. The rest of the car can last a really long time.

Did you not read my last paragraph you quoted from me? I don’t like how Tesla handled it. But no one should be surprised that an early production vehicle “could” have unforeseen issues.

squeaky door vs preventing possible fire. I’d be okay with it if the change is to prevent a potentially really bad issue.
Ok, let's modify @David.85D 's house example. Imagine you bought a house with a basement and builder came one day while you were away and flooded the entire basement with concrete, or some epoxy, or some expanding foam filler. Upon realizing your basement is encased in some substance, you try to ask the builder about it and they tell you "this is normal", but someone theorizes that "the builder didn't calculate the loads properly, and they had to encase the basement to prevent the house from collapsing into the basement", you'd be understanding and say "yea, I don't like it, but I'm ok with it"?

Ok, let's modify @David.85D 's house example. Imagine you bought a house with a basement and builder came one day while you were away and flooded the entire basement with concrete, or some epoxy, or some expanding foam filler. Upon realizing your basement is encased in some substance, you try to ask the builder about it and they tell you "this is normal", but someone theorizes that "the builder didn't calculate the loads properly, and they had to encase the basement to prevent the house from collapsing into the basement", you'd be understanding and say "yea, I don't like it, but I'm ok with it"?

Even if I had the absolute perfect answer, it wouldn’t matter to you. You have been disgruntled for years now and have made it your life’s mission to try and discourage people from buying Tesla because you supposedly spent years bragging them up. Whatever.

I’m a disgruntled former ford and GM owner. Used to say how much I like their vehicles. But now I don’t. I just don’t brag them up. To actively go on their sites to still run them down is.....odd IMHO. But hey....it’s how you want to live out your remaining minutes. So be it.

People can understand your disappointment at getting your Supercharging slowed down, but this was not something done by Tesla to hurt their customers, but a necessity to prevent early degradation of your battery pack. Neither option was going to make customers happy about it, but their internal data evidently pointed to slowing down the speed of charging to be the better choice.
Well, VW figured out an option that made most US customers happy, buyback of cars that had to be nerfed to meet environmental rules (so you can say indirectly for safety of everyone). Just because you don't do something intentionally, it doesn't mean you're off the hook for the consequences. Tesla could offer a free battery swap to batteries refurbed to original specifications for those cars which turned out to not be safe to keep the advertised capacity or charging speeds. Model S & X were designed to do a 10 minute battery swap according to Elon (unless you think he lied to us), so the labor cost of the swap is negligible. They could resell the nerfed batteries at whatever the market things they are worth to recoup their costs, or refurb them to original specifications to swap for other unsafe batteries. Heck, they could even make lemonade out of lemons and offer owners a larger size battery (also something Elon said 5 years ago was possible for Tesla to offer) to make some extra money (free swap of 85 to 85, or for $5K you get a 100 battery instead).

Reactions: am_dmd
Tesla has recently updated its warranty (removing unlimited miles from all models), including the threshold of a "minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period."

An interesting argument could be made for those who have had capacity and/or Supercharging speeds reduced by OTA updates if Supercharging speeds are reduced by more than 30% (i.e., it takes 30% longer to reach a given SOC from a starting SOC under optimal conditions like 75 degrees F ambient). That would trigger a warranty claim.
All 85's were sold before this warranty update, so their warranty goes by what was written at the time of purchase. Tesla doesn't get to just change warranties retroactively, even though that doesn't stop them from trying, like when they changed their mind about whether yellow border screens were considered a defect, at first they were, then it costed Tesla too much, so they decided to declare it a wear and tear item.

Reactions: glide
Even if I had the absolute perfect answer, it wouldn’t matter to you. You have been disgruntled for years now and have made it your life’s mission to try and discourage people from buying Tesla because you supposedly spent years bragging them up. Whatever.

I’m a disgruntled former ford and GM owner. Used to say how much I like their vehicles. But now I don’t. I just don’t brag them up. To actively go on their sites to still run them down is.....odd IMHO. But hey....it’s how you want to live out your remaining minutes. So be it.
Sounds like you don't have that "perfect answer", or you would have provided it for the benefit of others.

Reactions: First EV
Of what warranty language do you speak?

Last time I checked, the warranty was INCREASED from when you purchased your car, to also include the motor/drive train AND the battery, for a full eight years and unlimited mileage.

Battery degradation was specifically excluded.

Yet you still have a car with range up there with the "best" of the "Tesla Killers" that just came out within the past year.

Time for a "big picture update" and also time to get that chip off your shoulder.

If you've been so terribly abused, then buy some other (and quite inferior) EV. Otherwise, suck it up and buy a far more capable Tesla, for LESS MONEY THAN YOUR TESLA COST five years ago.

Geesh, what a bunch of cry babies. Elon is trying to save our only planet, risked his entire fortune (many times the size of yours, btw), pushed the battery performance envelope just a hair too far (with the original batteries), and you just can't cut him any slack?!? Get a grip!

Better yet: just buy a new Tesla and marvel at how much better they keep getting . . . while costing even less.
You keep telling people to keep buying new Teslas when their old ones get nerfed. I get you want to save the planet. So, are you donating your savings to the cause, maybe offer to pay 10% of the cost of a new Tesla for anyone buying a Tesla instead of an ICE car replacement? Think of all the good you'd be doing for the planet. If you're thinking "I'm not giving people my hard earned money so they can save the planet", well, that is what the OP thought when he chose not to give Tesla more money.

Last edited:
You keep telling people to keep buying new Teslas when their old ones get nerfed. I get you want to save the planet. So, are you donating your savings to the cause, maybe offer to pay 10% of the cost of a new Tesla for anyone buying a Tesla instead of an ICE car replacement? Think of all the good you'd be doing. If you're thinking "I'm not giving people my hard earned money so they can save the planet", well, that is what the OP thought when he chose not to give Tesla more money.
Buy a new Tesla after 6 years when your old one craps out! It’s what’s best for the environment!... can’t find any fault in that logic

Honestly I didn’t even read your last post after the first sentence since it was some other silly hypothetical. Sell your cars. Move on. You’re disgruntled. Tesla is the devil. Blah blah blah.
Ah, that all makes sense now, including your reply to someone talking about a Model 3 and you saying yours is going on 4 years now - not reading the posts to which you reply explains it all. I guess if you have a cause you really want to push on the internet, it sure saves time not to read what you are replying to. I heard there are internet bots you can hire to do that, something with domain that ends with ".ru" if I'm not mistaken. :p

Ah, that all makes sense now, including your reply to someone talking about a Model 3 and you saying yours is going on 4 years now - not reading the posts to which you reply explains it all. I guess if you have a cause you really want to push on the internet, it sure saves time not to read what you are replying to. I heard there are internet bots you can hire to do that, something with domain that ends with ".ru" if I'm not mistaken. :p

We are in the Model S forum. It sounded like he was implying that all Tesla’s have issues starting by year two (not just the Model 3). I was pointing out that going on 4 years and have yet to see these “sky is falling” scenarios some are going on about.

But I’m glad I could be your amusement. You have certainly been mine.

I love seeing tesla fanboys get their panties in a bunch whenever someone has a legitimate gripe with Tesla. They take it so personally as if someone insulted their mother or something.
I’ve seen some fanboys on the bmw forum but never have I seen anyone take BMW’s side over a customer when the customer was clearly wronged.

OP did nothing wrong, in fact he made the best choice for himself, why buy another vehicle from a company that’s proven to only look out for its best interest even if it means screwing the customer.

he’s not out here advocating that everyone dump their Tesla, he’s just posting his story and why tesla lost a customer which should be praised because as we know there were times tesla employees, not just lower level employees, but upper management visit this place and if they see op’s story maybe that’ll nudge Tesla in the right direction as far as dealing with customers fairly.

All 85's were sold before this warranty update, so their warranty goes by what was written at the time of purchase. Tesla doesn't get to just change warranties retroactively, even though that doesn't stop them from trying, like when they changed their mind about whether yellow border screens were considered a defect, at first they were, then it costed Tesla too much, so they decided to declare it a wear and tear item.
The issue isn't the change made that applies to newer (2019+) models. Your 85 has an "unlimited mileage" battery warranty. My point is that if either capacity (stored charge) or the speed at which charging to capacity are reduced by 30%, a warranty claim should be honored.

Status
Not open for further replies.