Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that were only so. Tesla has more demand than supply. If Dr. did not buy a new tesla, then somebody else did. Someone also purchased his old Model S, so that is still working to save the planet.
He just removed himself from the EV world, but left a space open for someone else.

Nope.

EVERY SINGLE TIME THE OP BUYS GAS, he's part of the problem.

By selling an EV and buying an ICE, he's continuing to "dig the hole."

FIRST RULE OF HOLES: STOP DIGGING.

Why is this so hard for others to understand?!?

The earth will survive no matter what we do to it. In a million years, none of this will matter. A million years is like a blip on the cosmic scale and age of earth. But I think the goal of humans is to make this home of ours habitable for us as long as possible.

Anyway, these climate change posts are too OT.

Actually, no. (Why are so many ill-informed people posting here?)

Climate change is why Tesla exists.

About Tesla | Tesla

And:

Master Plan, Part Deux

Most cases see a doubling in time needed to charge. That’s far more than a fraction, but sure keep lying and trying. I love seeing you huff and puff

Nothing goes better with a piece of prime rib than reading your posts
View attachment 529643

Keep em coming bud!

I'm guessing that reading has always been difficult for you?

Try again, just read VERY slowly until you can comprehend the material:

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

• Disagree
Reactions: First EV
Perhaps you can explain why the Vostok ice core samples contradict the accepted dogma of CO2 elevation preceding warming.

I always enjoy these type of debates, typed by people typing on Macs and iphones, who go from their AC/heated place to a lithium-battery polluting hell of a car, seemingly oblivious to the slurry of pollution that are the by-products of production and use. Why none of these typers are willing to give those things up in the name of progress is part of the reason many educated folks find the religion of man-made global warming exactly that. Like most fallible humans/religious people, we all like to pick those parts of our faith that comfort us and choose to ignore the parts that do not.

I'm sorry that I didn't cover your latest Faux News climate myth--I don't have time to deal with all of them.

How about if you just pick the Myth of the Day and see where it fits in this list, all run by volunteers trying to "fix" the ignorant and gullible, and thankless, nearly impossible task:

Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined

Oh, and these guys and gals are far better educated on the subject than either of us--how 'bout listening to what they have to say rather than some crackpot on AM Talk Radio or Faux News?

Scientific Consensus | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

I've been driving on juice since late 2012. Not to save the planet, because I enjoy EVs in traffic more than ICE options.
I operate a large solar array, not to save the planet, but to save money. SCE wrecked that in March 2019.
I will do something dirty this morning. It's raining so I will drive my EV to work instead of bicycle. I bicycle for health, not to save a kitten and a dollar.

I feel no need to 'sell' EVs to others, although I've let dozens of friends and acquaintances drive my EVs.
And when people ask me about solar, I tell them the unvarnished truth. For many people, the CPUC/SCE has made it a poor decision.

When I discussed buying a Tesla with my friends, many tried to talk me out of it. They didn't want me to turn into traveling tofu and health crystal salesman. Even EV people sneer at the zealots on both sides: The EV martyrs, and the misinformed ICE owners.

The EV movement does not need a Westboro EV Club protesting at funerals. We will do fine without it. Please.

I'm sorry you're so poorly informed on the greatest threat facing our entire planet.

Have you considered reading a newspaper, either on line or the actual hard copy, on a regular basis?

You'd know more about the world and the threats it faces if you did so.

Thanks!

I'm sure emotion played a role in my decision but I'm a pretty level headed person, my main concern was the value of these capped cars dropping as it became more widely known that they are crippled. The car was at the residual value where I could use the sale to fully fund the car I wanted, which I did, new car with new car warranty. If I had waited 6 months that would not have been the case.

As for the increased time for road trips, the time it took to charge prior to the cap at 100+ kwh was already kind of a hard sell for my wife and family. Charging at 50kwh and essentially doubling the time it took to charge on the road was a definite deal-breaker. Again I am not talking about battery degradation here. My supercharging speed was software capped to half speed overnight with no notification at 40,000 miles.

Yes, these are very understandable reasons to buy a shovel to dig a deeper hole.

Every time you buy gas you get to help burn the planet and teach Tesla a lesson--great job on giving Tesla what they deserve.

Your family should be so proud.

I'm sorry you're so poorly informed on the greatest threat facing our entire planet.

Have you considered reading a newspaper, either on line or the actual hard copy, on a regular basis?

You'd know more about the world and the threats it faces if you did so.

Thanks!
I know there’s a great threat facing our planet but don’t let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Did you think of trading the S85 in for a new Model 3 - make the charge speed Tesla's problem albeit I'm sure the trade-in would have been low? The Model 3 has impressive charge speed

For how long? My S85 had impressive charge speeds also until they decided to cut it off. The charging speed is just one aspect of what happens about 10 miles of rated range went away overnight vampire drain is much higher because battery coolant pumps run much more often and way longer than they used to. Regen is limited at much higher battery temperatures than it used to be. Full power is not available at much higher battery temperatures than it used to be. And as the OP states supercharging times for me have increased not quite double but for all intents and purposes it takes about twice as long as it used to. None of that I signed up for when I bought the car The car that I have today is not the car that I bought. It has not improved honestly. my touch screen got destroyed when version 9 was introduced That took away most of the functionality that I used to enjoy there. all that said I still like the car and drive it daily but it's not as good as it used to be and a three for me is not an option I just don't like it

You know, TSLA pilot, Eye doesn't drive much. Given the inherent tradeoffs in EVs vs ICE environmentally, it is better to have an EV in the hand of a higher mileage driver.

Driving just 8k miles a year in an efficient gasser is way better than the average joe is doing. Selling a Tesla to someone who will displace more gas than you did is also a winning proposition.

I was hopeful that staying at home and all that would make folks a bit more civil.

As someone with an older car, it stills drives great and my range is totally fine. No one who purchased in 2015 (or 2016 or of course earlier) could predict with reasonable certainty what would happen with a 5 year old Tesla. To think that there would be no changes over time was not a reasonable assumption. The Leaf had already shown what can happen. Even by 2013, we were seeing Leaf batteries degrade prematurely.

Reactions: Nozomi
I've been driving on juice since late 2012. Not to save the planet, because I enjoy EVs in traffic more than ICE options.
I operate a large solar array, not to save the planet, but to save money. SCE wrecked that in March 2019.
I will do something dirty this morning. It's raining so I will drive my EV to work instead of bicycle. I bicycle for health, not to save a kitten and a dollar.

I feel no need to 'sell' EVs to others, although I've let dozens of friends and acquaintances drive my EVs.
And when people ask me about solar, I tell them the unvarnished truth. For many people, the CPUC/SCE has made it a poor decision.

When I discussed buying a Tesla with my friends, many tried to talk me out of it. They didn't want me to turn into traveling tofu and health crystal salesman. Even EV people sneer at the zealots on both sides: The EV martyrs, and the misinformed ICE owners.

The EV movement does not need a Westboro EV Club protesting at funerals. We will do fine without it. Please.

Really well said. I like the quality, comfort, space, design, performance and image of Teslas. I guess that the fact that they're eco-friendly is a small bonus, but a bigger one is that it doesn't smell like gasoline or diesel. When I ordered the car I was excited to damn drive it. I wasn't thinking about how I'm saving a "burning planet". I'm a big supporter of Tesla, but that's only because it's just a better car than its ICE competitors. Has nothing to do with CO2 emissions. In fact, I didn't check those for a single car that I shortlisted.

Reactions: MXLRplus
You know, TSLA pilot, Eye doesn't drive much. Given the inherent tradeoffs in EVs vs ICE environmentally, it is better to have an EV in the hand of a higher mileage driver.

Driving just 8k miles a year in an efficient gasser is way better than the average joe is doing. Selling a Tesla to someone who will displace more gas than you did is also a winning proposition.

I was hopeful that staying at home and all that would make folks a bit more civil.

As someone with an older car, it stills drives great and my range is totally fine. No one who purchased in 2015 (or 2016 or of course earlier) could predict with reasonable certainty what would happen with a 5 year old Tesla. To think that there would be no changes over time was not a reasonable assumption. The Leaf had already shown what can happen. Even by 2013, we were seeing Leaf batteries degrade prematurely.
Except this isn’t normal degradation, and it’s not reasonable to assume that a company would be so shady... well it wasn’t reasonable, now it’s perfectly reasonable to assume Tesla will screw you any chance they get in order to make a profit and please Wall St.

Yes, these are very understandable reasons to buy a shovel to dig a deeper hole.

Every time you buy gas you get to help burn the planet and teach Tesla a lesson--great job on giving Tesla what they deserve.

Your family should be so proud.
Or it is Tesla who is digging the deeper hole here, by turning existing customers off of the brand? Maybe customers get turned off when they purchase a car advertised at 691hp only to find out later that 463hp is all that the car will ever produce, the 691 number was theoretical motor power if that motor was put into some other car with a 50% higher power battery and power delivery system. Or maybe the customer got into an accident and realized that their insurance company will not cover months of down time while the repair shop waits for parts. Or maybe they got turned off when Tesla decided that a 6 month old yellowing display is normal wear and tear. Or maybe it was the supercharging and/or range capping. Perhaps a combination of all Tesla ownership experiences? Customers can refuse to give Tesla more money to save the earth, just like you won't pay people to buy another Tesla either.

Or are you offering cash to save the earth? If my current Tesla was to get totaled, mostly likely I would not buy another one. Nor am I planning to buy more Teslas right now, but if I find a car I like, ICE or not, I'm in. HOWEVER, if you threw in $50K, I would buy Model 3 as a backup car for when Tesla is servicing the Model S'es, and continue to buy more Model S. I'll even plate and insure the M3SR at my own cost, let my kids use it when I am not (they can only afford used ICE, so it would be saving the earth too). If you don't send me the money, are you digging a deeper hole (since if you did, I'd buy more EV's and my kids would drive the spare car instead of ICE cars)? Or is it ok for you to refuse to give me money to save the earth, but not ok for someone to refuse to give Tesla money to save the earth?

C’mon man, your bold type and absolutist position and condescending tone are bad enough, but now you bring OP’s family into it?!? Please just stop.

Yes, of course you're right.

His children shouldn't be concerned about planetary-scale damage caused by their parents.

No one should.

We should all just ignore the threat, keep doing what we're doing, and hug each other while singing songs and dancing. Perhaps we can even do some finger painting! [sarcasm]

What is wrong with you, besides being stunningly uninformed about the greatest threat we face as a species?

Here's a clue to get you started; it's the first step to being less ignorant:

Thwaites glacier in Antarctica melting could impact sea levels: NASA

And:

jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7322

Key point:

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.

[truncated]

p.s. When this or some major climate change event occurs, it will make C-19 look like a friggin' picnic. Why do so many fail to comprehend the implications?

Didn’t read it the first time you posted that, won’t read it now.
Buuut DONT let that stop you from ranting.

Ah, yes, the "Don't bother me with the facts; my mind is made up!" argument.

Normally we have erudite posters on TMC, but there remain too many like this one . . . .

We need Darwin more than ever as even the least intelligent seem to survive these days.

• Disagree

Pure rationalization.

At the end of the day, "eye" is going to return to giving money to fossil fuel companies that have been and are the most profitable companies on the planet. Those profits exist because their massive damage to the planet will be paid for by others.

Period.

This is unconscionable.

There are a plethora of non-Tesla EV's that "eye" could have purchased if he was so intent on giving them the finger for their "transgressions." He chose to be a part of the problem instead.

Shame on him.

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”
― Anna Lappe

• Disagree
Really well said. I like the quality, comfort, space, design, performance and image of Teslas. I guess that the fact that they're eco-friendly is a small bonus, but a bigger one is that it doesn't smell like gasoline or diesel. When I ordered the car I was excited to damn drive it. I wasn't thinking about how I'm saving a "burning planet". I'm a big supporter of Tesla, but that's only because it's just a better car than its ICE competitors. Has nothing to do with CO2 emissions. In fact, I didn't check those for a single car that I shortlisted.

Personally, if I was that ignorant and uninformed on the single greatest threat facing our entire planet, I wouldn't be bragging about it in a public forum.

Instead, I'd start learning about it, and then DOING something about it, such as informing others that were similarly uninformed.

Let's hope you might start doing that too?

• Disagree
Status
Not open for further replies.