Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid black AWD with mismatched bumpers......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just took delivery of my solid black AWD, dropped it to get tint PPF and ceramic coating and my body guy noticed both front and back bumpers had metallic flake. So it looks like I got obsidian bpers and the rest is solid piano black.....thanks tesla /s.

How concerned should I be about Tesla replacing these items properly? Any ideas on how long it takes to get those bumpers, and actual replacement times? TIA....

So I just took delivery of my solid black AWD, dropped it to get tint PPF and ceramic coating and my body guy noticed both front and back bumpers had metallic flake. So it looks like I got obsidian bpers and the rest is solid piano black.....thanks tesla /s.

How concerned should I be about Tesla replacing these items properly? Any ideas on how long it takes to get those bumpers, and actual replacement times? TIA....

Tesla should fix it no problem but it will likely take weeks.

Reactions: neroden
This should never happen. WTF.

Where's the QC?

Taking stuff off the menu seems to be the risk mitigation strategy.

It could be in a frenzy, the assemblers are not able to tell the difference?

Even owners like OP, no disrespect intended don’t find out unless under the right lighting conditions or a trained eye spots it.

I met an owner today who lucked out big league. Free OBM over solid black and free white seats over black and AWD at 4K.

From a distance I thought it was a SB Model 3. I had a SB Model 3 for awhile even and didn’t realize it!

Didnt have a match but offered at original config price to take delivery in Sep.

• Informative
From a distance I thought it was a SB Model 3. I had a SB Model 3 for awhile even and didn’t realize it!
It's really hard to tell casually outside of direct, bright sunlight. You can tell outside of sunlight if there's only a point source, like a wall light or streetlight, reflecting towards you. There's a lot more sharpness to the refection with Solid Black, the metal flake makes it a slight bit blurry at the edges, but you have to be looking really close.

Normal indoors lighting like in the factory it'd be really easy to miss it if there was some sort of mislabeling or other miscommunication. :/ If the lighting is somewhat in the bluish range it's hellva hard I find, because that's the sort of look OMB gives anyway and the Solid Black will reflect it true.

Last edited:
Might want to double-check your interior too while you're at it...

Dkq4vQtU8AAYPU5.jpg

I took delivery of my Model 3 Obsidian Black Metallic about one week ago. It has a mismatched SOLID BLACK rear bumper. What a mess-up. So I feel your pain. I am thinking what to do about it, if worth the risk of letting my local service center to send it out to an outside body shop to get it repainted. Where is TSLA QC?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna

Pictures or I call BS