Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid Black vs Obsidian Black Metallic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through this dilemma two leases ago... deciding between paying extra for BMWs metallic black vs the "free" black.

I ended up going with metallic. It looks a little better when it's dirty and it hides small scratches and such better. It also has some sparkle that you will notice at certain times of day.

From a certain distance or at night they both look pretty much the same.

The basic gloss black is I think one of the hardest colors to keep looking good over time, it tends to really highlight any little swirl mark, dirt, etc.

If I were you I'd go with the base black paint but then get a high quality ceramic done on it to keep it looking better.

Reactions: Sg911
Took delivery today of my Obsidian black. Did a double delivery with my neighbor who picked up a solid black. We took the chance to do a few side by side pictures. Was a bit cloudy, real hard to tell the difference from more than a few feet away. We will try to do a few more photos on the next sunny day. We both agreed they looked almost identical with the clouds and the metallic would probably show more in direct sunlight.

OBM on the left. Solid black on the right, except the supercharger photo where solid black is on the left.

Attachments

• D2D9A9AA-D371-4D57-B2B0-2897CB9DAD28.jpeg
    D2D9A9AA-D371-4D57-B2B0-2897CB9DAD28.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 8,785
  • 1ABC4E09-51AC-4BEE-B381-8842E23D5DE9.jpeg
    1ABC4E09-51AC-4BEE-B381-8842E23D5DE9.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 4,439
  • 96B87BE6-FE0E-48FF-A77B-23972B79A12F.jpeg
    96B87BE6-FE0E-48FF-A77B-23972B79A12F.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 4,042
  • 82FB8BCC-B117-4AC8-97E2-A3608EAB8D5C.jpeg
    82FB8BCC-B117-4AC8-97E2-A3608EAB8D5C.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 5,108
  • 4506AAF4-3675-4656-AAEC-DA69679406B2.jpeg
    4506AAF4-3675-4656-AAEC-DA69679406B2.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 4,997
Last edited:
SWEET! Suddenly my car has become a Limited Edition. ;)

I don't know about Silver but I know Obsidian Black was at best tied with Solid Black as the least popular colour. Probably saves them meaningful hassle, especially if the rumours swirling about the difficulty of getting OBM to work with the new paint automation were true.

OBM is now a $1500 option!

Soon to be a $2,000 option for one week... :cool:

“In order to increase our production, delivery and service efficiency, we will be removing Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic as paint options from our online vehicle configurators for Model S, Model X and Model 3. This will be effective on Thursday, September 13, 2018, after which Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will be offered only as limited edition colors via special request at a cost of $2,000 only until Friday, September 21, 2018.”

• Love
Took delivery today of my Obsidian black. Did a double delivery with my neighbor who picked up a solid black. We took the chance to do a few side by side pictures. Was a bit cloudy, real hard to tell the difference from more than a few feet away. We will try to do a few more photos on the next sunny day. We both agreed they looked almost identical with the clouds and the metallic would probably show more in direct sunlight.

OBM on the left. Solid black on the right, except the supercharger photo where solid black is on the left.
Solid black for me, save $1500 ,ceramic coat or vinyl wrap to unique color, and cpp

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Solid black for me, save $1500 ,ceramic coat or vinyl wrap to unique color, and cpp
Yeah, I got my OBM in the $1000 window and was really on the bubble because of the extra money. At $1500 when you can get a bumpers, mirrors, and hood Xpel partial wrap for only maybe an extra $300, and push comes to shove DIY the ceramic for an extra $80 and an afternoon of alone time with your car it's hard not to just go with the Solid Black.

• Love
Yeah, I got my OBM in the $1000 window and was really on the bubble because of the extra money. At $1500 when you can get a bumps, mirrors, and hood Xpel partial wrap for only maybe an extra $300, and push comes to shove DIY the ceramic for an extra $80 and an afternoon of alone time with your car it's hard not to just go with the Solid Black.
Absolutely, I ceramic coated my Jeep SRT with Adam’s ceramic for $160, and diy , it’s still awesome. Not as hard as at 9H as my Ceramic pro’ed hellcat but that was $1500 with paint correction I can apply towards a Violet metallic wrap or new lighter wider wheels lol .

Reactions: ℬête Noire

I had a solid Black Dodge Charger , and it sucked big doodoo to maintain till I ceramic coated it!! For black reference ..
[

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

Thanks much for the photos! This makes me feel better about ordering OBM instead of solid black.

Reactions: reserves