Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen the solid roof in black? I ordered a black roof on my white car. Looks good I think but I was curious whether the black roof is flat or shinny. Also curious what the material is. I assume its just aluminum insert painted black.

Has anyone seen the solid roof in black? I ordered a black roof on my white car. Looks good I think but I was curious whether the black roof is flat or shinny. Also curious what the material is. I assume its just aluminum insert painted black.

frankly, it looks almost exactly like the pano roof if you aren't looking closely. We rode in the sunset red with black roof on the Get Amped test drive this summer, and my wife thought we were in a Pano roof car until she actually sat down inside. (imagine the confused look there!). Hope that's a bit helpful.

frankly, it looks almost exactly like the pano roof if you aren't looking closely. We rode in the sunset red with black roof on the Get Amped test drive this summer, and my wife thought we were in a Pano roof car until she actually sat down inside. (imagine the confused look there!). Hope that's a bit helpful.

thanks. Yes. This helps. Do you recall if it was metal or glass?

Thanks Jenga, much appreciated.
Is it so that there are no roof rack mounts on your solid roof?

A couple of pics of the exterior of the roof:

3:4 view Roof.jpg
Roof Gaps close.jpg

It is going to take a special rack to fit this roof based on the very tight tolerances around the chrome trip and the one small gap in the painted panel.

[/QUOTE]Is the headroom w/solid roof really less right above the rear head rests, as compared to the pano roof version? I understand that it is less in the same area to where the glass is on the pano-version, but starting to suspect that is is quite similar right above the head rests (the most important area IMO).[/QUOTE]

I'll have to pass on commenting on this one since I have never personally seen or sat in a pano car.

[/QUOTE]Hoping to avoid pano-roof due to limited use and fear of long term reliability.[/QUOTE]

Agree, I am more of a T-top or Targa Top person if I want an open vehicle. However, I do think it looks striking on the Model S. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the pics. What does the back seat look like?

Rear Seats.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If you are talking about the piece between the two LED lights, I believe it is a speaker for and it also might be where the microphone is placed for the voice recognition input.

Correct.

Is the headroom w/solid roof really less right above the rear head rests, as compared to the pano roof version? I understand that it is less in the same area to where the glass is on the pano-version, but starting to suspect that is is quite similar right above the head rests (the most important area IMO).

During the test drive event last summer, I intentionally sat in the back of pano and non-pano versions to check this out, since I was contemplating ordering the pano roof simply for the additional headroom. While there is more headroom when sitting upright, the headroom was exactly the same when leaning against the rear head rests due to the dip in the roof near the rear windshield. Since most passengers tend to sit back in their seats, I did not order the pano option. (Of course, I'll always be sitting in the drivers seat, so headroom is never a problem for me!)

In answer to another question, yes the solid roof is painted black aluminum just like the rest of the car.

Thanks, good to know. Maybe I can skip pano afterall then. Any solid roof owners contemplating magnetic or other roof rack solutions? I will need to bring with me 4-8 pairs of ski occationally. Fear magnetic wont suffice...

Thanks, good to know. Maybe I can skip pano afterall then. Any solid roof owners contemplating magnetic or other roof rack solutions? I will need to bring with me 4-8 pairs of ski occationally. Fear magnetic wont suffice...
Magnetic will be really tough with an aluminum body. :) Most alpine skis and boards will fit inside the car; nordic skis, not.

Take a look at the Seasucker line of racks, they use a vacuum solution. I haven't seen a specific ski rack but they do surfboards and paddleboards which might work for skis. They also have bike racks. I can't recommend one way or the other as I've never used them but, since I'm getting a solid roof, have done some research. Waiting for a model that will take a kayak.