Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution for rusty brake rotor hats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A:sp
I bought one can to cover all 4 corners ... and likely still have enough to do one or more entire refreshes. I spray relatively conservatively though.

When I clean the wheels with something like Sonax Full Effect, the reddish bleeding effect from the iron deposits make its way onto the textured surface of the rotor hat/hub so it looks a bit pitted. However, I almost never make a direct effort to clean the hub either so it's not like I'm doing a thorough wheel-cleaning job by removing the wheels completely (which would be ideal since I can clean the wheel barrel as well as the inside of the spokes) but that's more work than I want to do on a monthly basis.
so using a a microfiber wheel brush fro example from griots garage, it wouldnt scratch off the coating? I just want to know how delicate i is before i go investing time and money.

I took a couple of photos this afternoon. The rotor hats currently don't look all that pristine (remember I also don't really make an effort to clean this area down either) but it's better than without the treatment. You can tell that at the edge where it meets the braking surface that there's a little bit of "bleed" when using wheel cleaning products that turn the iron to red/purple (Like SONAX Full Effect).

2019-01-31-misc-01.jpg

2019-01-31-misc-02.jpg

As a reference, this is what it looked like last year prior to the treatment:

2017-07-02-title.jpg

I've never re-sprayed the SBS treatment since the first time back in August, but I'm overdue for another wheel swap at which point I'll probably re-spray.

• Helpful
Reactions: mambro
YOu. Are. Awesome. And we live in the same region of the world. Oakland here...so If yours held up hat well im sure mine will. Im gonna order next pay period. i wonder as time passed and the second coat is needed do you have to rigorous cleaning or just spray it on over the previous coat...we shall see. Thank you for taking the time to show us. I am truly grateful.

I reapply zinc every few years. The rotors and callipers will have a dull grey colour with zinc but look great compared to most cars..
I wouldn’t call the SBS product zinc or cold galvanizing. It’s MSDS says the SBS is based on aluminum particles. Im a fan of the SBS product.

A couple of big differences - zinc will evaporate at brake temperatures. Aluminum will quickly oxidize to aluminum oxide - the same stuff your ceramic brake pads are made of. Probably what gives that nice polishing/scrubbing effect.

Even if you manage to keep the brakes from getting very hot, zinc reverses it’s anodic relationship with steel around 140F - hot water temperature - meaning that instead of protecting the steel, it will cause the steel to rust faster when hot.

A small update: during a swap out to my summer wheel/tire set today, I decided to reapply the SBS treatment with the original can. However, I was only able to re-coat the front rotor set. In essence, one can's worth (get it? Worth? Würth?) probably equals to about one set of rotors if you apply the stuff generously. I plan to buy a pack of these and apply once annually.

• Helpful
Thank you!

Looks like Wurth will only sell to businesses, unfortunately

I tried setting up an account, but they wanted more info that I don’t have as a non-business owner, so still out of luck. Weird how this is on their restricted list - oh well

Maybe if someone has access to a garage they can order a few cans and sell them on - it’ll certainly save on the shipping, which was going to cost almost as much as the product itself

Cheers