Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some customers are getting offer of $7500 off + 10k free miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I don’t qualify for the 7500 because of income.

My situation is somewhat unique. I love my current p85d but the warranty expired last week. It’s been a pretty darn reliable car since I bot used 4 years ago and the battery seems strong.

I put a deposit on a brand new 2023 demo performance model 3 that I could have picked up yesterday (total off msrp was 10k, price was $55,450), but I backed out because my longer term goal is to save money to buy a house. I make enough money now that I won’t qualify for the $7500 off next year. I just felt that given my situation, I shouldn’t be buying a new car and saddling myself with $1000 car payments for 5 years. On the other hand!…, if the p85d starts to break down, it won’t take much before buying the new car makes better sense financially! Like if the battery goes for example, or the drivetrain and a couple other things.

At this point I think I still have time to take it off “final hold” and buy the new car, and sell the old

Thoughts? Thank you
I’m on the same page as you I’m getting the MY long range for $55590 and thinking of waiting too. I don’t need the car but would like to trade but I’m on the fence. I’m scheduled to pick up today.

My situation is somewhat unique. I love my current p85d but the warranty expired last week. It’s been a pretty darn reliable car since I bot used 4 years ago and the battery seems strong.

I put a deposit on a brand new 2023 demo performance model 3 that I could have picked up yesterday (total off msrp was 10k, price was $55,450), but I backed out because my longer term goal is to save money to buy a house. I make enough money now that I won’t qualify for the $7500 off next year. I just felt that given my situation, I shouldn’t be buying a new car and saddling myself with $1000 car payments for 5 years. On the other hand!…, if the p85d starts to break down, it won’t take much before buying the new car makes better sense financially! Like if the battery goes for example, or the drivetrain and a couple other things.

At this point I think I still have time to take it off “final hold” and buy the new car, and sell the old

Thoughts? Thank you

How to find out the eligibility requirements for the $7500 credit?

Oh so side note, I don’t qualify for the $7500 off next year, unfortunately. Was your comment including that? And I don’t need per say as I own a p85d, however the warranty expired last week which makes me nervous… it’s more of a gamble, do I pay up for a new car now and have a new warranty or roll the dice on the old and try to save some money.
I’m in the same boat. Don’t qualify for the tax rebate. Plus I could purchase the exact spec that I’d ordered originally literally today from inventory. But my calculus is that I have a functional car, these cars have lost several basic hardware items, such as USS (which is a very basic feature), and there is a possibility for HW4 and even some HD radar news in Jan.

Also good to remember that $7500 sounds like a lot, but the price of this car was increased way more than this in short order to adjust for supply chain disruptions/inventory shortages/inflation. This upcoming year will be a different calculus with companies now seeing chip surpluses, buyers worrying about their jobs and likely second guessing if they want to drop 60-70k on a car. Plus even if Tesla qualifies for the $7500 in q1 while the tax rules are clarified, it’s very possible it will not stay at this level which will leave Tesla in a bad situation trying to meet end of q1 or q2 numbers.

So fully expect the price to drop significantly and/or the feature set to improve on par for this price level.

That’s my personal math. We already own two other Teslas in the family and have watched a large TSLA position shrink this year, so certainly I was excited for the product and growth for the company’s health. Basically decided that I’m willing to pay 66-70k for a high tech/smart EV. As it stands, I have little belief that cameras will be able to judge depth on par with USS (rules of physics). And Tesla Vision is so dependent on camera clarity/field of view - something which isn’t always clear, hence why radar makes sense. Both these decisions probably wouldn’t have happened outside of a supply chain shortage in parts.

…kind if the argument that a small price adjustment (relative to price increases) doesn’t justify the functional feature set at this time. Unfortunately. Would make my life sooo much easier if it did.

Last edited:
Reactions: tubaprde
I’m in the same boat. Don’t qualify for the tax rebate. Plus I could purchase the exact spec that I’d ordered originally right now from inventory. But my calculus is that I have a functional car, these cats no longer have USS (which is a very basic feature), and there is a possibility for HW4 and even some HD radar news in Jan.

Also good to remember that $7500 sounds like a lot, but the price of this car was increased way more than this in short order to adjust for supply chain disruptions/inventory shortages/inflation. This upcoming year will be a different calculus with companies now seeing chip surpluses, buyers worrying about their jobs and likely second guessing if they want to drop 60-70k on a car. Plus even if Tesla qualifies for the $7500 in q1 while the tax rules are clarified, it’s very possible it will not stay at this level which will leave Tesla in a bad situation trying to meet end of q1 or q2 numbers.

So fully expect the price to drop significantly and/or the feature set to improve on par for this price level.
Good points. To clarify you’re also looking at the performance version 3?

Thoughts? Thank you

My p85 battery died a few months after warranty expired. $14k repair. My recommendation is to get rid of it now while it is still working.

Last edited:

At this point I think I still have time to take it off “final hold” and buy the new car, and sell the old. The other elephant in the room I think here is that, The performance will likely not qualify for the $7500 rebate,
and therefore all else equal if I take delivery of the car this month, I will likely have a decent cushion against depreciation as prices will pop 20% for performance models on January 1.

Thoughts? Thank you

Buying a new car is generally not cheaper than maintaining an older vehicle, within reason.

And a property is generally a good investment for wealth accumulation.

Obviously there is always going to be situations where these are not true but as a 3rd party in this situation, it seems foolish to continue to take on debt at the expense of opportunities that could have significant impact on your (and family if applicable) quality of life and long term financial foundation.

At this point I think I still have time to take it off “final hold” and buy the new car, and sell the old. The other elephant in the room I think here is that, The performance will likely not qualify for the $7500 rebate,
and therefore all else equal if I take delivery of the car this month, I will likely have a decent cushion against depreciation as prices will pop 20% for performance models on January 1.

Thoughts? Thank you
Being honest, None of your story makes Any sense. I make toooo much money so I don’t qualify for a tax incentive. Ok So what. Yet you don’t want a 1k monthly on a 55k car Meaning you have NO money to put down Yet you want to buy a house in the highest cost region at the highest finance rates in some time. Sounds like you need financial advisor Not a forum.

Thoughts? Thank you
Sounds like you need a friend to talk to, or a financial advisor.

Being honest, None of your story makes Any sense. I make toooo much money so I don’t qualify for a tax incentive. Ok So what. Yet you don’t want a 1k monthly on a 55k car Meaning you have NO money to put down Yet you want to buy a house in the highest cost region at the highest finance rates in some time. Sounds like you need financial advisor Not a forum.
Eh, your post makes no sense. Too many assumptions

Last edited:
Make perfect sense. Lots of people, even those making really good money have lots of debt, very low savings and tend buy cars that cause them to have high payments. This is the majority.