Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some customers are getting offer of $7500 off + 10k free miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C940AA15-24F4-495A-ABF8-084E0522003E.png

Dang! They must have a crapload of cars in stock to unload! I got $3,750. OK- I'm happy with that, but geez! It should be a buying frenzy. Right? Maybe not. If $3,750 didn't work, then if 10K SC miles didn't work, then let's give them a deal worth almost $9,000. And if that doesn't? Are people just not buying cars? Still no word if the tax credit will be $3,750 or $7,500. And now the U.S. won't decide that until the second Q of 2023. I have to think that Tesla might be getting kinda worried about their stock price slide and what Musk might be up to, and what their 4Q delivery numbers are amounting up to. In China, the delivery stats are turning rather bleak. Employee layoffs looming in two of three countries, hiring freezes and shifts being reduced. I'm glad I have my Y now, but I think we're only looking at very the beginning of much greater price reductions, all around to spur some demand. Sandy Munro is predicting Model Y prices could get as low as the high 30K range before long if Tesla sees mounting price competition worldwide.

Dang! They must have a crapload of cars in stock to unload! I got $3,750. OK- I'm happy with that, but geez! It should be a buying frenzy. Right? Maybe not. If $3,750 didn't work, then if 10K SC miles didn't work, then let's give them a deal worth almost $9,000. And if that doesn't? Are people just not buying cars? Still no word if the tax credit will be $3,750 or $7,500. And now the U.S. won't decide that until the second Q of 2023. I have to think that Tesla might be getting kinda worried about their stock price slide and what Musk might be up to, and what their 4Q delivery numbers are amounting up to. In China, the delivery stats are turning rather bleak. Employee layoffs looming in two of three countries, hiring freezes and shifts being reduced. I'm glad I have my Y now, but I think we're only looking at very the beginning of much greater price reductions, all around to spur some demand. Sandy Munro is predicting Model Y prices could get as low as the high 30K range before long if Tesla sees mounting price competition worldwide.
Interesting indeed. Future price reductions definitely seems probable. High 30’s though doesn’t seem realistic to me.

Interesting indeed. Future price reductions definitely seems probable. High 30’s though doesn’t seem realistic to me.

It doesn't to me either, but I'm not an industry expert like Munro is. I just spent ten minutes to try to find the interview of him saying that. Still searching. Either way, the cost of making a Y is in the neighborhood of the high 30's. If Tesla had the same gross margin as Toyota and most of the others, they'd still make money at $40K for the Y and $35L for the 3.

When the Chinese companies start selling EV's in numbers in North America (and they will), Tesla is in trouble. Look at the production numbers of BYD and their market cap lately, then compared to Tesla. Then to Toyota, GM and Ford. You can buy a decent $25K EV in many parts of the world right now. Ahead of Tesla by many years already. There is a paradigm shift happening.

Last edited:
It doesn't to me either, but I'm not an industry expert like Munro is. I just spent ten minutes to try to find the interview of him saying that. Still searching. Either way, the cost of making a Y is in the neighborhood of the high 30's. If Tesla had the same gross margin as Toyota and most of the others, they'd still make money at $40K for the Y and $35L for the 3.
They’d have no demand issues for a long time if the Y was 40k, that’s for sure