Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some of you might need to wait longer for your model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds like sheer and total horror.

Though thinking for a second, that might represent only half an hour of production if Tesla is at 1000 cars per day.

If those can be repaired and resold (certainly insured) they will be in the hands of locals by end of year.

Reactions: mongo
That sounds like sheer and total horror.

Though thinking for a second, that might represent only half an hour of production if Tesla is at 1000 cars per day.

If those can be repaired and resold (certainly insured) they will be in the hands of locals by end of year.
1000 a day is 40 an hour, at 10 per hauler, only 15 minutes worth...
Loss of hauler may be more impactful.

1000 a day is 40 an hour, at 10 per hauler, only 15 minutes worth...
Loss of hauler may be more impactful.

That's an excellent point. 1000 cars daily doesn't mean much if you can't move them. Though I suppose anyone willing to drive to/from Fremont has access to a Model 3 this year if they want it.

if you can't move them
I was shocked to see a car carrier in one of the Atlanta delivery centers last week with California tags.
I thought for sure Teslas coming east were via rail, with 'last mile' via car carrier.
The thought that there are car carriers saddling up for the ~3000 mile drive east makes me cringe...that's a really long/expensive deadhead leg back to Fremont.

The thought that there are car carriers saddling up for the ~3000 mile drive east makes me cringe...that's a really long/expensive deadhead leg back to Fremont.

With asymmetric information we are left to think Tesla is being really smart - or being really dumb with how they do things.

They might have an issue of 3000 mile car carrier trip or those cars don't get delivered at all. Or rail is already spoken for?

Or perhaps Tesla booked those car carriers one way and won't reuse them for the rest of this year?

Or they come back with CPO Model S and X to sell in the larger west cost markets?

Being a fly in Tesla's meetings would be amazing.

Reactions: suwaneedad
I was shocked to see a car carrier in one of the Atlanta delivery centers last week with California tags.
I thought for sure Teslas coming east were via rail, with 'last mile' via car carrier.
My brother owns a trucking company, he says intermodal shipments take a bit longer especially after the ELD mandate went into effect. Many carriers started shipping trailers via the rail road, a trailer shipped from Stockton CA to Chicago can take a week.

My guess is Tesla is doing both. They’re loading as many car carriers as they can book as well as rail cars

With asymmetric information we are left to think Tesla is being really smart - or being really dumb with how they do things.

They might have an issue of 3000 mile car carrier trip or those cars don't get delivered at all. Or rail is already spoken for?

Or perhaps Tesla booked those car carriers one way and won't reuse them for the rest of this year?

Or they come back with CPO Model S and X to sell in the larger west cost markets?

Being a fly in Tesla's meetings would be amazing.

Hauler to rail yard
Load train when available
Train trip
unload train
load car hauler to distribution point (if not at rail yard)
Train heads back to CA at some point
Hauler to Delivery center

Vs
Hauler to delivery center
Hauler back to CA

Cuts transit time, which boosts balance sheet.
CA to NY costs around 1,200 for a single car in open trailer. Expect much lower for a fully utilized internally costed load. Covered by delivery fee.

Could also be hauling CPOs back to ship to China.

Reactions: Ulmo and MXWing
Stockton CA

That's a good way to have all cars delivered with the rear quarter panel window smashed. Good ol 209.

10e1494b4c3a4096ab2a947ec7930236.jpg

OMG that was horrible to see. :eek: And cars on their roof too. Sad for any future owners that just got their VIN pulled.

If I hadn't seen the dashcam video would have been hard to picture the scene. Thanks for finding TEG. Do hope the driver is okay. Can't imagine that call in to his boss at Tesla telling him about the little accident he had.

Reactions: MXWing