Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some strange Bluetooth issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Few instances yesterday of the car misbehaving for no apparent reason.

First off, was sitting in the car, after unlocking using iPhone as key like I normally do but when I went to engage Drive, it asked me to tap the key card! I did this cos we weren’t going anywhere otherwise. It did this twice that day.

Today, no tapping of key cards but went to send a message and it’s telling me I’m not connected over Bluetooth, this is after unlocking as normal using iPhone and driving using keyless start etc like I normally do.

Went into Bluetooth on the car and it was saying my phone wasn’t connected, pressed connect, tries to find the phone and nothing happens. Eventually pressed Forget Device and wouldn’t do that either. Did a soft reset, deleted the phone as key and had to add again. Seems to be working now.

Anyone had issues? I’ve just updated to 48.10

I’m on 48.10. Did a hard reset after update. Haven’t had a not connected issue for ages. Wouldn’t work as key once about a fortnight ago. Closed the app right down and re-opened and it was fine. Don’t normally have the app active anyway.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
First off, was sitting in the car, after unlocking using iPhone as key like I normally do but when I went to engage Drive, it asked me to tap the key card! I did this cos we weren’t going anywhere otherwise. It did this twice that day.

I've had this on a couple of occasions whilst supercharging. On one occasion a Tesla service chap was also charging, so I cornered him with the question. Apparently, something about the car not detecting me moving far enough away from it before returning to. I'm not entirely convinced as its not done it on other seemingly similar occasions, but its only occurred in similar circumstances so probably something with that scenario.

I'm not convinced that my fitbit with nfc on left arm resting on centre console whilst waiting and prompting me to enter pin on fitbit is not the cause.

Hi all

Few instances yesterday of the car misbehaving for no apparent reason.

Today, no tapping of key cards but went to send a message and it’s telling me I’m not connected over Bluetooth, this is after unlocking as normal using iPhone and driving using keyless start etc like I normally do.

Went into Bluetooth on the car and it was saying my phone wasn’t connected, pressed connect, tries to find the phone and nothing happens. Eventually pressed Forget Device and wouldn’t do that either. Did a soft reset, deleted the phone as key and had to add again. Seems to be working now.

Anyone had issues? I’ve just updated to 48.10
I had exactly the same issue yesterday. iPhone 12 Pro iOS 14.3 2020.28.12

For months I’ve had no issue using my phone as a key, in the last couple of weeks I’ve had this issue several times.

If you look on this forum there are 2 other threads (iPhone and Samsung) reporting the same issue.

I've had this on a couple of occasions whilst supercharging. On one occasion a Tesla service chap was also charging, so I cornered him with the question. Apparently, something about the car not detecting me moving far enough away from it before returning to. I'm not entirely convinced as its not done it on other seemingly similar occasions, but its only occurred in similar circumstances so probably something with that scenario.

I'm not convinced that my fitbit with nfc on left arm resting on centre console whilst waiting and prompting me to enter pin on fitbit is not the cause.
Not sure I agree with what the Tesla guy is telling you. I went shopping the other day for a good 30 minutes and the car failed to open when I returned to it.

• Informative
Not sure I agree with what the Tesla guy is telling you. I went shopping the other day for a good 30 minutes and the car failed to open when I returned to it.

This is nothing to do with opening the car. It is to do with having to use the key card prior to driving. The OP, like myself had unlocked the doors no problem as usual - they had not failed to open. Its not the same problem.

I had exactly the same issue yesterday. iPhone 12 Pro iOS 14.3 2020.28.12

For months I’ve had no issue using my phone as a key, in the last couple of weeks I’ve had this issue several times.

If you look on this forum there are 2 other threads (iPhone and Samsung) reporting the same issue.

+ 1 for me on this issue. Also BT for phone calls only intermittently connecting. iphone 12 pro.

Don't expect a resolution soon. The problems that I encountered with having to use keycard to drive have been going on for at least a year. But its happened maybe 3 times or so in that time so a minor inconvenience. Compared by some bluetooth issues I have had with other devices, the Model 3 is robust in comparison. Not very funny if I lose connection to my Zwift trainer part way into a ride.