Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone hit my baby....didnt leave a note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20170310_091925.jpg

This is so frustrating and seems to becoming more common as this is the third instance in three weeks that I have heard this. The first started with my wife who had someone back into her truck. Fortunately, a witness left a note and provided us with all the information of who hit us. While I wish this person got more than they deserve for it Leaving a note I sure hope their insurance company jacks up their rates.

The other instance was my mom, but fortunately in this instance the person owed up to their mistake and made things right.

I'm starting to think it is time for two dashcams that run while the car is parked.

I'm starting to think it is time for two dashcams that run while the car is parked.

- A dashcam would record only front and rear view, so might not sufficient
to get a good idea of who may have hit the car on the side?

- I would recommend adding a battery pack for additional recording time without the risk of draining the 12v battery.

Those two web pages can give you some additional information:

BlackVue Accessories: Power Magic Pro or B-112 Battery Pack?
BlackVue Over The Cloud

to get a good idea of who may have hit the car on the side?

- I would recommend adding a battery pack for additional recording time without the risk of draining the 12v battery.

Those two web pages can give you some additional information:

BlackVue Accessories: Power Magic Pro or B-112 Battery Pack?
BlackVue Over The Cloud

You do NOT need a Power Magic Pro or battery pack with a Blackvue--the 12V battery is always topped off by the DC-to-DC system from the traction pack. Waste of $$.

Once you get your Model 3's (per your sig) maybe things will be different (...doubt it).

I sympathize with the OP - a similar thing happened to my MS just last week :(
Someone scraped my car just ahead of the left front wheel well and left about a foot-high/2-inch-wide white scrape there. At first the damage looked pretty scary against my blue MS. But luckily the contact area was on the plastic front fascia and seemed to mostly be paint transfer from the other car. I was able to carefully wash/rub off all the white paint and underneath there were only a handful of minor scuffs, nothing deep or very visible, nor any damage to any metal body panels elsewhere. But still... whoever rubbed their car against mine must have known they did it. Left no note.

to get a good idea of who may have hit the car on the side? [...]

True. I have a 2channel Blackvue, and unfortunately I wasn't able to find clear evidence of the car that scraped mine. The night it happened I was parked for several hours on a dark, narrow residental street with cars on both sides, I figure someone tried to squeeze by and came too close to my car. But it was drizzling out all night and not well lit. The changing pattern of raindrops on the windshield triggered the parking mode of the dashcam constantly so I had many hours of blurry dark waterdrop footage to review, but unfortunately no luck in finding anything in the video - very frustrating. I'm glad I have a dashcam, but this incident shows it's not perfect.

You do NOT need a Power Magic Pro or battery pack with a Blackvue--the 12V battery is always topped off by the DC-to-DC system from the traction pack. Waste of $$.

agreed, this is correct you don't need Power Magic Pro or separate battery pack for the dashcam.

I have a scrape down the side of my Acura thanks to someone running their front bumper carefully enough to only take off the clear coat and paint and not crease the car. No note.

Someone in a big numbered Mercedes scratched the rear quarter panel of my BMW a few weeks back trying to park in narrow spot. I was in the car at the time. He claimed to not notice the impact at all. Only minor chip in the clear coat.

Sorry to OP. People just don't pay attention these days and parking spots keep getting smaller. Sucks with all the big SUVs and trucks out there.