Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to be new MY owner in the UK - Advice, please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find a recent discussion on this or the information that I'm looking for. I have three questions.

Q: What do I do if I have to replace a tyre? What do I need to do as I'm about 40 miles from the Tesla SC in Glasgow.
Some people say that I need special pucks, some say that tyre fitters are useless and don't know how to jack up a Tesla and others do it themselves. Although, most of the posters are based in the US.

Q: Which is the best breakdown service to use for my Tesla? I'm not expecting it to break down but I want to make sure that my spouse has a backup plan if something happens.

Q: Who are people using to insure their Model Y/Teslas? Best experience not necessarily the cheapest.

Nothing particularly special about replacing a tire and you don't have to take it to a SC to be replaced. Most chain-type tire stores carry tires that will work. A lot of tire manufacturers now have "EV" tires that are specially designed for the weight of an EV but it's not a requirement. When lifting the car, it is best to use pucks to avoid the potential to damage the undercarriage. In the US, most chain-type tire stores have them, but to be on the safe side, you can buy a set on Amazon and keep them in your frunk (I do). If you get a flat while driving, use the "Roadside" option on your Tesla app - they will come out to you and resolve it and/or any other problems that prevent you from driving (at least in the US we have the roadside option - I don't know about the UK)

Reactions: Undecided_2
I couldn't find a recent discussion on this or the information that I'm looking for. I have three questions.

Q: What do I do if I have to replace a tyre? What do I need to do as I'm about 40 miles from the Tesla SC in Glasgow.
Some people say that I need special pucks, some say that tyre fitters are useless and don't know how to jack up a Tesla and others do it themselves. Although, most of the posters are based in the US.

Q: Which is the best breakdown service to use for my Tesla? I'm not expecting it to break down but I want to make sure that my spouse has a backup plan if something happens.

Q: Who are people using to insure their Model Y/Teslas? Best experience not necessarily the cheapest.
1)I have bought my M3 tyres from KwikFit and National Tyres.
2) Tesla provides breakdown service for 4 years
3) My present insurer is LV. I had Direct Line before that.

I'm with Churchill. Went with Bell insurance initially as they were a bit cheaper, but then found out they wanted a "Plug n drive" black box fitted to the car, so binned them off.

I'm with Churchill. Went with Bell insurance initially as they were a bit cheaper, but then found out they wanted a "Plug n drive" black box fitted to the car, so binned them off.
There is no way that I would have that installed. It’s going to be bad enough when every car is manufactured with a black box that controls a lot more than tracking.

Some other posts on here highlighting not to depend upon Tesla's own breakdown recovery if time matters - it's just outsourced to a local recovery service anyway. It's a fairly basic level of cover.

Personally, I also have full AA cover who have never failed me in the many years I've used them across many cars. I've had hire cars from it, onward travel, recovery to home etc. The recovery home was useful, as when home I then called the breakdown cover that came with that car to fix it under warranty, but I was very glad to get car, everyone and luggage home first.

Unless cost is an issue, I'd definitely recommend getting a more comprehensive cover than Tesla provide.

Tyres you can (or should) be able to get replaced and fixed anywhere. Some places don’t like dealing with EVs, and some don’t like repairing acoustic tyres, both of which seem unreasonable or misguided, it’s unfortunate when that happens but if you can’t persuade them, you’ve little option but to go elsewhere.

The pucks thing feels like a bit of paranoia by some, they can help but they’re not obligatory, and I’ve had a Tesla for 6 years and never needed them. That said, they’re a few quid to buy if you’re worried.

Tesla recovery is limited to warranty matters. The tyre service they offer is variable at best and as a result I really wouldn’t rely on it especially if you travel widely. Get a flat at 4pm on a Saturday and you might get your car back Monday afternoon, and if you’re 200 miles from home they won’t recover you back home

I carry a compressor to top up slow punctures and as a minimum I’d suggest doing that, you can often limp home that way if you have a flat and having one is useful to correct your tyre pressures a couple of times a year as the weather changes. Ring do a good version for £20 or so. Do t bother with the versions that also have sealant as the sealant doesn’t really work well with foam lined acoustic tyres.

Tyres you can (or should) be able to get replaced and fixed anywhere. Some places don’t like dealing with EVs, and some don’t like repairing acoustic tyres, both of which seem unreasonable or misguided, it’s unfortunate when that happens but if you can’t persuade them, you’ve little option but to go elsewhere.

The pucks thing feels like a bit of paranoia by some, they can help but they’re not obligatory, and I’ve had a Tesla for 6 years and never needed them. That said, they’re a few quid to buy if you’re worried.

Tesla recovery is limited to warranty matters. The tyre service they offer is variable at best and as a result I really wouldn’t rely on it especially if you travel widely. Get a flat at 4pm on a Saturday and you might get your car back Monday afternoon, and if you’re 200 miles from home they won’t recover you back home

I carry a compressor to top up slow punctures and as a minimum I’d suggest doing that, you can often limp home that way if you have a flat and having one is useful to correct your tyre pressures a couple of times a year as the weather changes. Ring do a good version for £20 or so. Do t bother with the versions that also have sealant as the sealant doesn’t really work well with foam lined acoustic tyres.
I always check my tyre 2 to 3 time a year and every time I top-up the pressure. I Always get the pressure to the max recommendation for safety reasons and that save me some mileage on the tyre life. On my CRV with my last Michelin tyre I have been able to drive at least 35,000 miles. The car has 75,000 miles and I have changed the tyre two times (last time was last year)

Reactions: Undecided_2
There is no way that I would have that installed. It’s going to be bad enough when every car is manufactured with a black box that controls a lot more than tracking.

Exactly, Bell insurance site was not clear at all on this when I took out the policy online, as soon as I received the text for the "tracking device" I called them and cancelled.

Some other posts on here highlighting not to depend upon Tesla's own breakdown recovery if time matters - it's just outsourced to a local recovery service anyway. It's a fairly basic level of cover.

Personally, I also have full AA cover who have never failed me in the many years I've used them across many cars. I've had hire cars from it, onward travel, recovery to home etc. The recovery home was useful, as when home I then called the breakdown cover that came with that car to fix it under warranty, but I was very glad to get car, everyone and luggage home first.

Unless cost is an issue, I'd definitely recommend getting a more comprehensive cover than Tesla provide.
I was thinking of the AA. Cheers!

Thank you! Can you insure with the VIN or is it best to wait for the registration?
You can get a quote fixed now, then buy it when you have the registration.
Interested in answers to questions 2.

I thought the Tesla coverage was limited and only office hours?
Nope, 24x7 and I've never had cause to try it. I guess I'm a prepper so have a pump, sealant, pucks and AA cover in addition.

Reactions: M3noob
I was thinking of the AA. Cheers!
We've been AA members for years (fie on the alleged Tesla roadside promise). AA has helped twice with flats. However, since we travel a lot on the continent we found that Green Flag is a lot cheaper than AA for coverage over there. No experience of their in crisis response, though.

Important! Always carry a tiny MN21 battery (externally) to pop the frunk and a jumper battery inside the frunk in case the car's 12V battery that runs the computer fails. At least you can unlock the doors, roll up the windows and maybe listen to tunes while recovery is in process...

Reactions: s7gpt
We've been AA members for years (fie on the alleged Tesla roadside promise). AA has helped twice with flats. However, since we travel a lot on the continent we found that Green Flag is a lot cheaper than AA for coverage over there. No experience of their in crisis response, though.

Important! Always carry a tiny MN21 battery (externally) to pop the frunk and a jumper battery inside the frunk in case the car's 12V battery that runs the computer fails. At least you can unlock the doors, roll up the windows and maybe listen to tunes while recovery is in process...
Good tip, I'll hide one behind the front plug in the bumper.