Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon To Be New Tesla Owner Conflicted On Purchase Choice

Which would you take if price is negligible?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to be a bother, but i figured you all would have more knowledge than I.
I have two Tesla Model S's at a dealer I am looking at, roughly the same price. One is a 2013 P85+, the other is a 2014 85. the P85+ has about 4000 miles less. KBB puts the 2014 at a much higher value, but that seems odd to me, as the only thing it has going for it is one model year newer.
What would you do and why? Would you spring for the more powerful P85+? or would you stick with KBB's valuation and go with the newer 2014?

I had the same choice a couple of years ago when I bought my '13. I was looking on the CPO listing, and had to decide between a '13 P85 or a '14 85. I chose the '13 P85, and I still believe that it was the right call. Both cars are going to be quick, but the Performance feels a bit more special. (The red pin-striped seats, carbon spoiler, etc.) And the '+' enhancement is worth the money and then some. I drove my buddy's '12 P85+, and was amazed at the how different it felt. The '14 85 will feel like a normal large car, whereas the P85+ will be far more dialed in.

L8

The 14 might have better build quality since they improved a lot during the earlier years. But, the performance difference will be quite noticeable. There's a guy with a Youtube channel about his P85 (cars and kyle or something like that), and he recently got a regular 85 as a loaner--seemed liked he was quite disappointed by the performance of the 85 in comparison.

I would also go with the P85+, assuming the S85 doesn't have extra options you want.

One caveat, the P85+ has a stiffer, sportier suspension (that's the "+" part) that I prefer, but if you would rather have more of a plush ride you should factor that in. If both cars are at a dealer near you, it's probably worth test driving them both (if you haven't already) to see if you have a strong preference for the ride in one or the other.

Hello All:
I don't have a vehicle yet but I am within days of making a purchase. Is it better to buy used from Tesla? If I don't but from Tesla will I still have access to the supercharging network. Unfortunately I know no one who has a Tesla so I am running blind.
Any help will be appreciated from you experts.
Thanks.

Hello All:
I don't have a vehicle yet but I am within days of making a purchase. Is it better to buy used from Tesla? If I don't but from Tesla will I still have access to the supercharging network. Unfortunately I know no one who has a Tesla so I am running blind.
Any help will be appreciated from you experts.
Thanks.

Everything will be the same. You'll get free unlimited supercharger regardless of where you purchase from.

The only think you get with Tesla is some warranty coverage, but you can buy that from X-Care also.

• Disagree
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Thanks. That helps. been a little leery. Trying to read as much as I can. I am looking for a 2015 Model S 70 D , Tesla has only one available Carvana has several listed, and there are some dealers in Michigan that have listings. I know there has got to be a great dealer somewhere that specializes in selling used Tesla's and I am willing to go full experience and fly out and use the supercharger network to get it home. Any ideas?

Purchased my Model S 70D yesterday, waiting for the final package and delivery date. I will be flying to New York and learning my vehicle on the long drive home. I read somewhere that there is a better app than the Tesla app for traveling and using the supercharger system. Does anyone know if that is true and what it is called?

Reactions: croman
Purchased my Model S 70D yesterday, waiting for the final package and delivery date. I will be flying to New York and learning my vehicle on the long drive home. I read somewhere that there is a better app than the Tesla app for traveling and using the supercharger system. Does anyone know if that is true and what it is called?
A Better Routeplanner

I cannot vouch for it as being better or not than the built in route planner as I'm new to the Tesla family and haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.

The built-in route planner has worked flawlessly for me for the past two S85's and well over 100k miles combined driving. Been on several long trips and route planning has never been an issue.

I have used EVTripplanner for trip planning prior to leaving for a sense of the estimated travel times and potential charge stops.

Reactions: croman