Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry for the Tire Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the newbie question but I searched and can’t seem to find the answer. I’m pulling the trigger this week on my first Tesla (Plaid with 19” Tempest). I live in Northeast Ohio so, winter tires will be a must. I’ll probably just order the package available in the store. I see that if you order from the store they will ship it to a service center and install them. Here’s the question…. How do I get them home to store them in my garage? Will 4 fit in the S for transport? Any idea what a tire and rim weigh? I’m not feeble but I am 64 and I’m worried a bit about lifting the weight with a bum shoulder.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reactions: TheLastDon
Sorry for the newbie question but I searched and can’t seem to find the answer. I’m pulling the trigger this week on my first Tesla (Plaid with 19” Tempest). I live in Northeast Ohio so, winter tires will be a must. I’ll probably just order the package available in the store. I see that if you order from the store they will ship it to a service center and install them. Here’s the question…. How do I get them home to store them in my garage? Will 4 fit in the S for transport? Any idea what a tire and rim weigh? I’m not feeble but I am 64 and I’m worried a bit about lifting the weight with a bum shoulder.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
I bought a set of tire bags from Amazon to put the summer tires in, and then packed them in the car after the service center swapped on the winter set. They fit in easily if you don't have any other stuff in the car. I have two child seats in the back of the car all the time, so I had to play Tetris with the tires, eventually moving one of the child seats to the trunk as the tires fit better in the back seat area. Keep in mind the front tires are narrower than the rears if you're having trouble fitting them in.

When I lived in NJ and OH I used winter tires/rims. In every case, I only had to get the tires into the car at home. The tire store did the rest, putting the removed tires back into the car for me. I drove home and had to manhandle (personhandle?) the tires back to their storage. This was the process for several different cars during my northern tenure. Here in Western North Carolina I no longer need winter tires.

After hurting my back once lifting wheels and tires out of my car, I came up with a new system.
I use an old snowboard upside down as a ramp to roll the tires in or out of the car!
I'm sure there are other objects that could be used as a ramp.
Look after that back.... it's the only one you've got!

Reactions: MYP24