Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the SOS is nothing to do with mobile signal strength. In old cars like mine they had an SOS button up by the warning triangle between the sun visors. Newer cars don't have that physical button but instead have an SOS button on screen.
The recent update (before 44.25.x) made that SOS button visible on all screens regardless of whether they were old like mine and also had a physical button.

My connection is hosed too. Same issue. Haven’t driven it much in the last week though - going to try a proper power cycle. Soft reset hasn’t fixed it. Updated to latest fw over Wi-Fi and that didn’t help either.

I think the SOS is nothing to do with mobile signal strength. In old cars like mine they had an SOS button up by the warning triangle between the sun visors. Newer cars don't have that physical button but instead have an SOS button on screen.
The recent update (before 44.25.x) made that SOS button visible on all screens regardless of whether they were old like mine and also had a physical button.
There's an EU law that states all cars need to be able to make an emergency call, automatically in case of a crash or manually. It's called eCall 112 or something. So when there is no data bearer, the SOS just shows up to show that's still available.

Might be wrong (I'm told I always am ;)), but I didn't think the network indicator (like LTE) shows there all the time, only when 'switching' (like to WiFi or 3G). I assume you are also getting no traffic for routing and Spotify etc doesn't work? I had that once and a reboot sorted it.

Isn't the SOS thing in the top left the 'new' button to make an emergency call they recently added? (EDIT: like @phil4 said, I've an old car and it appears all the time now)

Reactions: Durzel
For those currently without LTE & only SOS, I had this happen in December 2020 & it required a replacement of the eSIM at a Service Centre (Uber home & back with 6 hours to replace).

Maybe this is just a random network issue as several seem to be reporting the same. On Friday, my new Y was unable to initiate wifi (no MAC address available & permanent spinning update icon) but a 2 button-brake reset kicked it back into life.

Hi all

Just updated the software to 44.25.2

Now don’t have any LTE just shows SOS in the left corner. Tried powering on and off and a two button display reset, issue persists.

Anyone had this?
Recent updates have added the SOS button to the touch screen for cars that didn’t previously have it. It doesn’t mean your reception is gone. Try opening the infotainment menu, you might see it there (with Wi-Fi disconnected).

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
thanks for all the helpful comments guys, appreciate it.

Update - I’ve disconnected the phone through Bluetooth and forgot device, started from scratch and reconnected and now have my calls and messages back. SOS is still in the upper left and if it’s meant to be there then so be it, was more bothered about not having any calls or messages obviously.

Reactions: phil4
What does it do when you press it? I've always been too scared to try :(

Seriously, its worth trying so you know what to do. Like the iPhone SOS function that I understand that my friend has also accidentally pressed, it gives you a short bit of time in which to cancel. But make sure that you have any reading glasses ready that you might need and are not driving...

Ours got pressed by accident when attempting to press hazard lights due to a sudden stop/mayhem on the motorway ahead - a vehicle with poor lighting was travelling at only a few mph, suddenly appearing as the vehicles in front swerved out of the way. It wasn't great trying to concentrate on the rapidly changing road conditions ahead, sudden AP disengage and read what was presented on screen.

So knowing what to expect in advance may be a good thing. It was a while ago and too much going on that I cannot exactly remember the circumstances now, but we all got home in one piece and no harm done even if my friend did end up talking to an operator - its all a bit fuzzy whether this actually happened or not. Serious information overload over a few seconds.

Reactions: Durzel and boombap