Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Deadening Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally found the cause of my wind turbulence noise in my car. I'll give you the complete story below so you know what I went through and who to stay away from if you are having the same problem. This is also part of a broader lesson about trusting your gut and not accepting when Tesla tells you something is normal.

Since the day I picked up my car I noticed a wind turbulence noise in my car when driving over 50 mph. It was distracting and annoying. I had a mobile service tech go for a ride and he also concluded something was wrong. Then Andy Sheinkman the service manager at Mt Kisco, NY told me they test drove the car and also did an audio test. He said the cabin noise was within normal limits. After receiving the car back I continued to hear the wind turbulence sound. I tried a different approx. I cranked the heat up in the car and let it run for 10 minutes. I then used a thermal imaging camera and could clearly see there was in fact a leak. That’s what you see in the colorized picture.

I sent all this information over to the same service manager and he responded by telling me he would no longer entertain my thoughts about why the car was loud. He then proceeded to tell me that no car company uses thermal imaging to detect leaks. He said the proper test was ultrasonic which they did and everything was normal. At that point, I figured it was worth a shot to do my own ultrasonic test. I purchased a tester for $500 and using the Tesla Tech Note I found online proceded to perform the same ultrasonic test. Guess what? My test results weren’t the same as there’s. The ultrasonic tester triggered on two areas. I removed the trim surrounding the front a-pillar and ran my camera along the bead of urethane meant to hold the windshield to the car. Low and behold a huge hole. I temporarily plugged these wholes with children’s tacky puddy and guess what? No more wind turbulence in my car when driving over 50.

This is why if your gut tells you something is wrong with your Tesla you need to continue to push till they fix it. They will continue to tell you it’s normal or within spec. With my specific situation, they will even outright lie about performing a test that they clearly didn’t perform.
This is amazing. How did Andy Sheinkman respond when you confronted him on the ultrasonic results? What an embarassing response from him. Shameful and demonstrates no pride in your work.

I finally found the cause of my wind turbulence noise in my car. I'll give you the complete story below so you know what I went through and who to stay away from if you are having the same problem. This is also part of a broader lesson about trusting your gut and not accepting when Tesla tells you something is normal.

Since the day I picked up my car I noticed a wind turbulence noise in my car when driving over 50 mph. It was distracting and annoying. I had a mobile service tech go for a ride and he also concluded something was wrong. Then Andy Sheinkman the service manager at Mt Kisco, NY told me they test drove the car and also did an audio test. He said the cabin noise was within normal limits. After receiving the car back I continued to hear the wind turbulence sound. I tried a different approx. I cranked the heat up in the car and let it run for 10 minutes. I then used a thermal imaging camera and could clearly see there was in fact a leak. That’s what you see in the colorized picture.

I sent all this information over to the same service manager and he responded by telling me he would no longer entertain my thoughts about why the car was loud. He then proceeded to tell me that no car company uses thermal imaging to detect leaks. He said the proper test was ultrasonic which they did and everything was normal. At that point, I figured it was worth a shot to do my own ultrasonic test. I purchased a tester for $500 and using the Tesla Tech Note I found online proceded to perform the same ultrasonic test. Guess what? My test results weren’t the same as there’s. The ultrasonic tester triggered on two areas. I removed the trim surrounding the front a-pillar and ran my camera along the bead of urethane meant to hold the windshield to the car. Low and behold a huge hole. I temporarily plugged these wholes with children’s tacky puddy and guess what? No more wind turbulence in my car when driving over 50.

This is why if your gut tells you something is wrong with your Tesla you need to continue to push till they fix it. They will continue to tell you it’s normal or within spec. With my specific situation, they will even outright lie about performing a test that they clearly didn’t perform.

Wow, nice work. This sort of thing is true with a lot of car companies, not just Tesla.

Did you go back to them yet?

Did your Thermal image match the UtraSonic/Actual leak?

I might try your Thermal image trick. That’s how I find leaks on my house. It’s easier to find hot air leaking from the outside than cool air infiltrating from the inside.

Can you share more info of the Ultrasonic tester and the test procedure.

The road noise at slow speeds on my model 3 is what is the most annoying for me. Even leaving my neighborhood on a pretty smooth road it sounds like jeep wrangler tires inside the cabin. For those with significant. Road noise issues, what's worked the best? Currently sound deadening the front doors, but the tire noise is just bad. Using an iPhone decibel reader app it was above 80 db on a nice road.

Seems like a suspension issue to me as well. Really kills enjoyment around town.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
The road noise at slow speeds on my model 3 is what is the most annoying for me. Even leaving my neighborhood on a pretty smooth road it sounds like jeep wrangler tires inside the cabin. For those with significant. Road noise issues, what's worked the best? Currently sound deadening the front doors, but the tire noise is just bad. Using an iPhone decibel reader app it was above 80 db on a nice road.

Seems like a suspension issue to me as well. Really kills enjoyment around town.

My car is dead silent driving slow over almost anything. It’s also very quiet at highway speeds if the road is smooth. But rougher roads (like before a top coat on a new paved high way) at highway speeds are the only time it bothers me.

• Informative

on fairly smooth side road nearby here I get 64dB at 40mph. 80 seems off the chart. at 74mph on concrete freeway I'm at about 72dB

• Informative
By the way, I noticed the road noise quieted a bit after the tires were broken in. What tire pressure are you running?
My car is dead silent driving slow over almost anything. It’s also very quiet at highway speeds if the road is smooth. But rougher roads (like before a top coat on a new paved high way) at highway speeds are the only time it bothers me.

Wow I would LOVE a silent ride around town.

Here is a horrible unscientific video attempt to grab DB reading. This app may be off, have not calibrated it, but it’s loud.

I run the tires between 45-50. 18” stock wheels. I would do about anything at this point to have a quite ride. While it was in the shop the last time they finally gave me a Tesla and it was an S with air suspension. It was SO much more enjoyable to ride around town.

20190420_234331000_iOS.mp4

Wow I would LOVE a silent ride around town.

Here is a horrible unscientific video attempt to grab DB reading. This app may be off, have not calibrated it, but it’s loud.

I run the tires between 45-50. 18” stock wheels. I would do about anything at this point to have a quite ride. While it was in the shop the last time they finally gave me a Tesla and it was an S with air suspension. It was SO much more enjoyable to ride around town.

20190420_234331000_iOS.mp4

With no reference, a dB reading is not very useful.

But 45-50 lbs might be part of your problem.

I run 42 lbs COLD. Just as it says on the door Jam. The door Jam stickers did change from 45 lbs.

50 lbs COLD is asking for trouble.

If you're stating warm PSI, try not to, because it just confuses people. Always state cold pressures.

I've also done a few simple things to quiet the cabin, see my signature. But around town has never been a problem even straight from the factory.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
For anyone about to do extensive sound insulating, please first buy a $20 sound meter and measure it on a particular road/highway at a particular spot at a specific speed. Then repeat when finished.

It's the only way to be sure.
Ordered, but honestly my iPhone XS is just about dead on with this and has far better recording capabilities with time, location, distance, etc.

Think I’ll stick with ‘Decibel X’ app.

• Informative
With no reference, a dB reading is not very useful.

But 45-50 lbs might be part of your problem.

I run 42 lbs COLD. Just as it says on the door Jam. The door Jam stickers did change from 45 lbs.

50 lbs COLD is asking for trouble.

If you're stating warm PSI, try not to, because it just confuses people. Always state cold pressures.

I've also done a few simple things to quiet the cabin, see my signature. But around town has never been a problem even straight from the factory.

Yes so that would be warm I was reporting. It was what screen PSI showed while driving. It is currently about 45 so in line with the cold recommendation.

I’m in the process of doing that in hopes of quieting the road noise. Having done a few cars now over the years I personally think that using Thinsulate acoustic insulation works better and is WAY lighter than the mass loaded vinyl. I’m also using the same Noico “dynamat” material that the OP used.
Please post your results when you’re done. I’m very interested to see if it helps.
BTW, what is the white cottony looking material in the pics? Is that attached from the factory?

I do not have a wind noise issue, but tire noise is a biggie on our local 3rd world caliber roads.

After a recent Tesla service appt, somebody there inflated my tires to 47 psi front and 45 rear! The noise level increased dramatically, so I loiwered them back to 37 cold, which is yielding 41 psi hot currently. Not great, but a lot better.

I don't do much extended high speed driving.

Here is a sound reduction kit that helps with wind noise, tire noise, and road noise. Doesn't add much weight to the car either!

ear-plugs2.png

I’m in the process of doing that in hopes of quieting the road noise. Having done a few cars now over the years I personally think that using Thinsulate acoustic insulation works better and is WAY lighter than the mass loaded vinyl. I’m also using the same Noico “dynamat” material that the OP used.
In post #20, what is the white material that looks like lamb’s wool used on the inside of the wheel well?

Reactions: SummerlinChiro