Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did just hear my subwoofer well for the first time but I can't tell if it's because of the type of song I was listening to or not.

the subwoofer is very weak for the model 3. I think it is literally just there to provide a little bit of bottom end for the deepest notes. I suspect most of the subbass you hear comes from the door speakers though I obviously havn't sat in a Model 3. If I'd give a number i'd say down to A sharp or G is door speakers and below that mainly subwoofer.

• Informative
Reactions: stayfocus18
the subwoofer is very weak for the model 3. I think it is literally just there to provide a little bit of bottom end for the deepest notes. I suspect most of the subbass you hear comes from the door speakers though I obviously havn't sat in a Model 3. If I'd give a number i'd say down to A sharp or G is door speakers and below that mainly subwoofer.
No, I know the difference. I'm a sub fiend. I'll have to do some additional testing tomorrow to see if it starts hitting below 35hz now. I doubt it, but it might be louder overall.

And I agree, the sub is weak. A 8-10in like is in the car just isn't going to produce enough force to hit as low as a sub should for a well rounded system either.

a 10" with enough power would complement this system just fine.
I can almost guarantee the stock sub is not hitting below 35hz.

Candleflame is right, a lot of the bass in the car is coming from the 8" woofers in the door. But, if you get a song with a lot of LOW frequencies, you realize that the little 8" sub can put out a surprising amount of bass. They've got that box pretty well tuned.

Reactions: gavine
I have 46.2 and it seems better on the low's but it could have been the five or so songs that played. I even adjusted it to a more neutral setting. I will play around tonight with the settings and see what I find.

After testing, what I've realized is that the 8in speakers in the door are doing the majority of the bass work.

There is a very specific frequency range that the 10in sub in the back produces, but it seems incredibly limited. If it went down to 25hz this would make sense, but it just cant get anywhere as close. So what is left is a few notes here and there that the back sub hits, and then either a blending or lack of bass from it for the higher notes around 80hz+.

Reactions: tracksyde and SJC3
Drizzle: We're on the same page. I think a few others are evaluating sound quality, whereas the bug is more about losing all low frequencies regardless of source input. I havent taken the time to locate the sub but I thought that either the sub isnt working at all, or the amp is unable to send lower frequencies to any of the speakers. Im going to see if my 46.2 update fixes this.

Reactions: Drizzle
If you sit in the back seat or move the balance all the way to rear it is pretty obvious if the rear sub is working. I remember when I got the car and was giving test drives and sitting in the back seat how awesome the base was hitting the back of the seat. That is gone now.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentcorp
If you set in the back seat or move the balance all the way to rear it is pretty obvious if the rear sub is working. I remember when I go the car and was giving test drives and setting in the back seat how awesome the base was hitting the back of the seat. That is gone now.
I dont doubt that, but with the bug, it doesnt matter what setting you adjust or where you sit, it just has no bass.

It seems clear to me the subwoofer is sometimes working and sometimes not. After updating to 46.2 last night, the bass came back with a vengeance. In fact it was almost too much so I adjusted the equalizer after driving into work this morning. When I sat parked, I could feel the car bumping around at high volume. Then after work it was just gone, which I could confirm by fading back and hearing virtually no bass. I tried a two scroll wheel reboot while at a stop light on the way home but still gone. Upon arriving home, I did a power off from the menu and now the subwoofer is back. So there appears to be a bug that loses the subwoofer intermittently. And believe me, if you are asking whether it’s there or not, it is not — because the thing booms when working.

Reactions: tracksyde and SJC3
Drizzle: We're on the same page. I think a few others are evaluating sound quality, whereas the bug is more about losing all low frequencies regardless of source input. I havent taken the time to locate the sub but I thought that either the sub isnt working at all, or the amp is unable to send lower frequencies to any of the speakers. Im going to see if my 46.2 update fixes this.
Well I can't wait until the subwoofer is actually working if it is broken so I can't test the low frequency range. Until then, I plan on getting something like the Rockford Fosgate 363 to reset the oem lines and do what I want with them, including adding a real 12in sub or similar.

I drove around for almost two hours today, had the balance all the way to rear the entire time. The sub only hits in very specific frequencies, and even then it's pretty ineffective. The subs on the doors in the cabin are doing 100% of the work but that is not how it should be. I had played very extensively with the audio system when I got my car and the sub in the trunk was super loud.

Reactions: IM_1406