Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound when cars passing in oncoming traffic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI. I just picked up my 2021 Model Y LR AWD (vin 138xxx, built on 3/9) and I’ve noticed a faint sound whenever an oncoming car passes by. The sound can be described best as similar to the sound you‘d get when shaking a burned out incandescent light bulb. At first I thought it was a loose spring or something like that, but after intentionally hitting potholes and bumps the only thing that triggers the sound is an oncoming car passing by. Has anyone else noticed this?

It could be a loose retainer clip on one of the Gemini wheel covers on the driver's side. The vehicle coming from the other direction could create enough air turbulence so that a pressure wave of air pushes against the Gemini wheel cover.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I should have said I have the LR AWD with 20” induction wheels.
How far ahead or behind your vehicle is the passing vehicle when you hear the sound? Is it when the other vehicle is right next to your Tesla in the opposite traffic lane?

Maybe the sound is caused by one of the windows or door trim pieces flexing.

How far ahead or behind your vehicle is the passing vehicle when you hear the sound? Is it when the other vehicle is right next to your Tesla in the opposite traffic lane?

Maybe the sound is caused by one of the windows or door trim pieces flexing.
It could be sound emanating from your car, that gets reflected back from other vehicles. Tried driving near a wall?

This morning I drove on a highway next to a concrete lane divider and didn’t hear anything. This sound seems to happen whenever a car is in my blind spot. It’s a faint sound, not an audible warning. I don’t think I’m hearing ultrasonic sensors; is that even possible? It happened in the following situations this morning:

• ⁠cars passing by in opposite lane, after they pass my door
• ⁠cars overtaking me on the highway
• ⁠stopped at a T intersection, and a truck approaching from my left made a right hand turn and passed my door

I guess I can live with the noise, I just want to be sure that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

Update: I’m certain that what I’m hearing is some sort of blind spot notification. Took a long trip today, and while the noise is annoying on a two-lane road, it was actually really useful on a busy highway. It’s definitely triggered by cars entering my blind spot. I have a service appointment on Wednesday for this and a couple of cosmetic things, and hope to get an answer on what I’m hearing. Haven’t read anything about such a “feature” and am relieved I’m not going crazy 😜 (I think...)

Update: I’m certain that what I’m hearing is some sort of blind spot notification. Took a long trip today, and while the noise is annoying on a two-lane road, it was actually really useful on a busy highway. It’s definitely triggered by cars entering my blind spot. I have a service appointment on Wednesday for this and a couple of cosmetic things, and hope to get an answer on what I’m hearing. Haven’t read anything about such a “feature” and am relieved I’m not going crazy 😜 (I think...)
There's a reference to "Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime" in the manual, page 112.

Hi Alex, thank you for pointing that out. The sound I’m hearing isn’t a chime. The best way I can describe it is like a very faint sleighbells sound, or that sound you get when you shook a burnt out incandescent lightbulb. Maybe there’s something wrong? I just looked, and I do have the setting Controls -> Autopilot -> Blindspot Collision Warning Chime enabled. I’m going to disable it and see if the weird sound goes away. Then, I’ll find out what it’s supposed to sound like. Thanks again...

Got the car back from service yesterday. The Springfield, NJ service center staff were all very nice and fixed my door handle and tire. Once of the mechanics drove with me to investigate the sound. At first he didn’t hear it, but after explaining what to listen for, he did hear it. Later on, he said he drove another new Model Y and heard it as well. He said he never really noticed it before, but maybe it’s some new safety feature? Not sure if they were just humoring me.

Another interesting note: the service center is on a two lane highway, and I backed the car into a parking spot perpendicular to the road, and the sound was triggered whenever a car went by.

So, I’m not just hearing things, there’s nothing wrong with the car (nothing appeared in its logs) and I’d love to know if anyone else with a Model Y built around the first week in March or after hears it too.

Reactions: jacie6056
Got the car back from service yesterday. The Springfield, NJ service center staff were all very nice and fixed my door handle and tire. Once of the mechanics drove with me to investigate the sound. At first he didn’t hear it, but after explaining what to listen for, he did hear it. Later on, he said he drove another new Model Y and heard it as well. He said he never really noticed it before, but maybe it’s some new safety feature? Not sure if they were just humoring me.

Another interesting note: the service center is on a two lane highway, and I backed the car into a parking spot perpendicular to the road, and the sound was triggered whenever a car went by.

So, I’m not just hearing things, there’s nothing wrong with the car (nothing appeared in its logs) and I’d love to know if anyone else with a Model Y built around the first week in March or after hears it too.
I had noticed this noise whenever a car passing by, I thought it was resonance sounds coming from a glass.
Like you said, very noticeable on the highway when a car passing through too.

Reactions: NJX3tomY

Forgot to mention, mine was Feb Build.
I am curious if newer Y still have this issue or not

Hey, I've definitely noticed this as well, had the car for about two months now. MYLR.

It's hard to describe the sound, but it's definitely noticeable and would be happy to get rid of it with oncoming traffic.

Loving the car otherwise, not a big deal, but I've trouble with previous cars where similar sounds meant big repairs later on, so it's a bit of a cause for concern.

I've noticed this when I first got my Model Y a year ago. Only on a two lane road when oncoming cars would pass by. For me it was the wind pressure wave hitting my car. Opposing car would drive by and I would get this effect: Road noise, quick pause, "whoosh". Repeatable all the time. I had a whoosh, not a tinkling sound. I actually loved hearing it because it was not loud at all and highlighted how quiet the car was. For me, definitely not noticeable unless listening for it.