Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern California (Orange County) Tesla Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back my Model 3 back from Rodz, I too wanted 90% on the windshield, but decided to try the 70% and see how I like it. I got 70 on the windshield and sunroof, 60 on the front sides and 40 on the back sides and rear. Also had my console warped with black metal. Looks awesome! $750 out the door, best deal in SoCal by far!!! Thank you Nevertipsy for organizing this group buy!
How many different wraps do they have for the console?

I picked up my model 3 today from Rodz. I did the CR70 on front windshield and roof. CR40 on the rest (side windows and rear windshield) as per Roger's recommendations. I dropped off my car around 12:30 for a 1pm appointment (at the time, they were still finishing tinting a model 3 from an earlier appointment). By 5:15pm, my car was ready for pick up! Everything looked good. Roger was very straight forward and easy to work with. I paid the final $350 of the balance (no tax or added fees--total was $700 as promised).--- I was in a rush to get home so I jumped in my car and drove off. I immediately noticed an error message in the car about "limited availability of navigation and autopilot, call Tesla". The navigation wasn't registering the correct position of the car (while driving on the I5, the map put the car about 100 feet off to the side). I was having horror flashbacks to some of threads about tesla's getting water damage during tinting process. I did a software reset once I got home. That didn't make the error message go away. I spent an hour googling for any similar error messages to no avail. I went back into the car and the error message was gone! Whew. I just drove the car for a few miles and navigation and AP work fine. I'm not sure if the error was random, due to the software update I did 3 days ago, or related to the tint process.-- Anyone else have this issue? Hopefully the error message stays away. Of note, when driving around the car at 9:30pm, I had no issues seeing through the front windshield CR70 tint.

Lastly, Roger said that the side windows take about 4 hours to cure (for hazing to disappear) and the front and rear windshield can take up to 30 days. He said it was fine to open/close windows within a few hours.

Thx for everyone in the group buy and for Nevertipsy for arranging.

How many different wraps do they have for the console?

Was wondering the same.

I immediately noticed an error message in the car about "limited availability of navigation and autopilot, call Tesla". The navigation wasn't registering the correct position of the car (while driving on the I5, the map put the car about 100 feet off to the side). I was having horror flashbacks to some of threads about tesla's getting water damage during tinting process. I did a software reset once I got home. That didn't make the error message go away. I spent an hour googling for any similar error messages to no avail.

That is definitely scary! Glad it worked out, I would definitely tell Rod about your experience though and make sure the guys working on it are more careful about that water on the dash.....

I picked up my model 3 today from Rodz. I did the CR70 on front windshield and roof. CR40 on the rest (side windows and rear windshield) as per Roger's recommendations. I dropped off my car around 12:30 for a 1pm appointment (at the time, they were still finishing tinting a model 3 from an earlier appointment). By 5:15pm, my car was ready for pick up! Everything looked good. Roger was very straight forward and easy to work with. I paid the final $350 of the balance (no tax or added fees--total was $700 as promised).--- I was in a rush to get home so I jumped in my car and drove off. I immediately noticed an error message in the car about "limited availability of navigation and autopilot, call Tesla". The navigation wasn't registering the correct position of the car (while driving on the I5, the map put the car about 100 feet off to the side). I was having horror flashbacks to some of threads about tesla's getting water damage during tinting process. I did a software reset once I got home. That didn't make the error message go away. I spent an hour googling for any similar error messages to no avail. I went back into the car and the error message was gone! Whew. I just drove the car for a few miles and navigation and AP work fine. I'm not sure if the error was random, due to the software update I did 3 days ago, or related to the tint process.-- Anyone else have this issue? Hopefully the error message stays away. Of note, when driving around the car at 9:30pm, I had no issues seeing through the front windshield CR70 tint.

Lastly, Roger said that the side windows take about 4 hours to cure (for hazing to disappear) and the front and rear windshield can take up to 30 days. He said it was fine to open/close windows within a few hours.

Thx for everyone in the group buy and for Nevertipsy for arranging.

You're quite welcome, I'm glad everything worked out okay, and the error message is gone.

Any reason why the shop recommends 40 on the sides/rear window? Im scheduled to go for tint in September, but I was thinking of getting 20 as 40 is too light for me.
Roger said something about not liking 3M Crystalline in 20. I think he said it doesn't last as long as the lighter shades. He recommended the darkest to go was 40.

Reactions: Vegan Pleather
If you're adding it to your front side windows, I think getting the 20 VLT introduces more risk for police attention. I got 40 on the side windows and back and 70 on the windshield and glass roof which seems just right to me. If this was a state that didn't have such strict tinting laws, I'd consider doing on the sides and maybe a 50 on the front.

For the colors available, here are all the colors available:
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...e-window-film-crystalline-series-brochure.pdf
He has a color wheel, as referenced above, where you can view the colors in person to see how it looks in different lighting and such.

Sorry this might be off topic.

I must have the worst luck..only had car 3 days lol. Got my front plf and ceramic coat at rodz tint. I looked around for reputable ceramic coaters near my area and found xclusive auto with a good deal to coat everything but the front.
Well this happened as a first..left the heat lamp too close and kinda melted only charge port tray. They admitted and were very honest. The coating looks amazing but this had to happen. Called service center and they will replace it..(hopefully for free) fingers crossed.

Btw saw many model 3s there and their ppf is much better...there are 0 seams on the edge or near edge. It costs much more for the quality but I am a bit sad over this error on my charge port. I cannot take pics at this time due to work but Ill show you guys the finished application of coats.
Its quite a nuisance to leave every thing coated but the charge port. I guess i can just leave it uncoated..
Apologies for the ventilation

Attachments

• 20180808_140424.jpg
    20180808_140424.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 82

I must have the worst luck..only had car 3 days lol. Got my front plf and ceramic coat at rodz tint. I looked around for reputable ceramic coaters near my area and found xclusive auto with a good deal to coat everything but the front.
Well this happened as a first..left the heat lamp too close and kinda melted only charge port tray. They admitted and were very honest. The coating looks amazing but this had to happen. Called service center and they will replace it..(hopefully for free) fingers crossed.

Btw saw many model 3s there and their ppf is much better...there are 0 seams on the edge or near edge. It costs much more for the quality but I am a bit sad over this error on my charge port. I cannot take pics at this time due to work but Ill show you guys the finished application of coats.
Its quite a nuisance to leave every thing coated but the charge port. I guess i can just leave it uncoated..
So you're saying Xclusive Auto accidentally melted/deformed the charge port door?

Damn, sorry to hear about the charge port. If Tesla doesn't replace for free you should definitely get Xclusive Auto to pay.

Now, can you clarify what you meant by "their ppf is much better"? Does this mean Rods Tint doesn't do as good a job with their ppf and show seams everywhere?

So you're saying Xclusive Auto accidentally melted/deformed the charge port door?
Yes..they said any charges for part and installation are covered and he wrote it in a couple documents signed. Their work on 2 model 3s. Full ppf were very thorough and no seems in the front. My front has seems several mm near edges around mirror, hood, etc but its much cheaper. The ppf at this place had no seems whatsoever but im sure the price is around 2k for front full ppf.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCalGuy
Well, I'm no PPF expert but you could argue the technicality of "wrapped edges" and "seams". They are different things. Also, be careful when they say "wrapped edges" but what about the corners? I've seen some pictures of wraps where the edges might be wrapped, but corners may be exposed.

I am pretty sure the OC one has reached tier 3. Wondering if we can get a group discount at the Ontario one?
The Ontario one is actually owned by different people. They're not a different branch of the same company. Basically some of the old time Ontario people left and started the OC one. FWIW the cheapest Ontario would do for a complete wrap was $1000, although I think they normally would quote $1150-1200

@SoCalGuy , so are you saying the Ontario one would only charge $1000 for a full front in old wrap vs the $1200 price at OC? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.
Sorry - when I called the Ontario location they quoted $1200 or so for the 3M window tint (incl windshield and pano roof). When I told them I had quotes much lower, they said they could match. Then they said the lowest they could go was $1000. So this is just for tint, not wrapping/ppf