Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX vs. Everyone - ULA, NG, Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work for the Air Force - I'm a government civilian. I'm also a Contracting Officer Representative (working on behalf of the Contracting Officer) on a multi-million dollar contract.

I am *forbidden* to work for a contractor within at least a year of terminating my government employment - and I can go to jail if I violate that.

Even though I'm not on the source selection committee for the follow-up contract (I was in the running) - I am EXTREMELY restricted on what I can say and to whom. I can't make promises and promises can't be made to me. These would be violations of Federal Law!

This guy could be in a LOT of trouble.

One year is nothing and promises don't need to be made. Simply you could say 'we really value your expertise and hope you'll consider working for us one day' and have the person take a year off before getting a large pay day.

Man, I dislike the dishonorable Senator Shelby from Alabama...

SpaceX Versus Senator Shelby's Rocket to Nowhere - Bloomberg View

Not related to this thread, but useful post all the same. This would actually impact SpaceX on their Dragon Mk2 front... which is depressing... because they have what seems like a really great product and solution. I am glad that Musk has already stated that even if they don't get the NASA funding they will push forward with the Mk2 regardless, it will just have to be at a much slower pace.

Last edited:
Not related to this thread, but useful post all the same. This would actually impact SpaceX on their Dragon Mk2 front... which is depressing... because they have what seems like a really great product and solution. I am glad that Musk has already stated that even if they don't get the NASA funding they will push forward with the Mk2 regardless, it will just have to be at a much slower pace.

SpaceX will eventually shame Congress into giving them the contract. This tactic was pretty successful over the Air Force contract. It becomes too obvious when Congress is paying five to ten times more than is necessary for their buddies and contracts. Congress can do these backroom deals until it hits the national news and then they have to step up to reality.

SpaceX will eventually shame Congress into giving them the contract. This tactic was pretty successful over the Air Force contract. It becomes too obvious when Congress is paying five to ten times more than is necessary for their buddies and contracts. Congress can do these backroom deals until it hits the national news and then they have to step up to reality.

True, and especially given who that messenger is... He grabs everyone's attention when he says something. I only wish that Neil deGrasse Tyson was as compelling at pissing Americans off at Congress and the Government to get them to stand up against some of the more terrible things, because he has been fighting for space exploration and increased funding for a very long time.

Air Force Certifies Falcon 9 Flights | SpaceX

The Air Force has certified SpaceX's Falcon 9 launch system as having conducted three successful flights, a prerequisite for companies seeking to win business from the Air Force's Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV) Program.Under Air Force standards, SpaceX is already qualified to compete for EELV missions, but SpaceX must also be certified by the Air Force before any contract can be awarded to the company. Meeting the criteria for successful flights is a key milestone in the certification process.
SpaceX expects to satisfy the remaining certification requirements later this year.

Politics at its worst

“In the interest of full disclosure and accountability, we request that NASA publicly release all anomalies and mishap information, un-redacted, so that Congress can gain a better understanding of what has occurred and ensure full transparency. Because the development of the vehicles and capsule in question were funded by NASA dollars, we request that you provide Congress with the information you have on the various aspects of risk and reliability from these programs, including contractual, management, technical, manufacturing, cost, schedule and safety”, wrote Coffman and Gardner.

Coffman Presses NASA for Transparency on SpaceX | Representative Mike Coffman

“In the interest of full disclosure and accountability, we request that NASA publicly release all anomalies and mishap information, un-redacted, so that Congress can gain a better understanding of what has occurred and ensure full transparency. Because the development of the vehicles and capsule in question were funded by NASA dollars, we request that you provide Congress with the information you have on the various aspects of risk and reliability from these programs, including contractual, management, technical, manufacturing, cost, schedule and safety”, wrote Coffman and Gardner.

Coffman Presses NASA for Transparency on SpaceX | Representative Mike Coffman

Erm... how is that unreasonable? One can doubt whether Congress is mentally equipped to understand such a report, but this is exactly what they ought to be doing for *every* dollar they spend, not just NASA. O, what I'd give to see such a skeptical eye turned toward the Pentagon, social programs, health care, high-speed rail, and all these other "investments".