Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Announcement 1pm PST Feb 27

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope he's reusing a stage 1 soon.
It's happening very soon. The next launch after EchoStar 23: late March-ish.

The announcement can be so many exciting possibilities. Falcon Heavy is pretty well known to be April-May-ish time frame. So that would be the least exciting announcement. Red Dragon was delayed until 2020. Some major collaboration with a NASA project would be great. Maybe the government or some other major player has opted to join with SpaceX for ITS. That would be very exciting.

There have been a lot of tests happening at McGregor. Perhaps SpaceX has some big news about how successful the Raptor testing has gone....

Last edited:
Date of first manned flight in Dragon

You could be right, but the first manned Dragon launch is still at least a year away. Seems as though announcing a date now might only narrow it down to the month or quarter, although I'm inclined to think you're on the right track. US manned spaceflight is about to heat up. It was announced on Friday that the Trump administration has asked NASA to look at the feasibility of putting US astronauts on the first test flight of the SLS in late 2018. This mission would last up to three weeks, even circumnavigating the moon and testing the Orion capsule, coming back pretty hot, then a splashdown. A bold plan and timetable, which otherwise won't see astronauts on board Orion until 2021. It will be tough to pull off next year, but we will learn if it's a go sometime in the next couple of months. NASA still has some technical hurdles ahead, along with a need for extra funding.

No doubt this has gotten Elon's attention. So my guess for a SpaceX announcement? It's about time to introduce the astronaut crew training for the first Dragon mission.

Reactions: dpeilow
My bet is on whatever would be the least exciting. In my opinion, that means a date set for the first stage 1 relaunch. Not that that isn't exciting and historical, but we already knew it was coming, and having a firmer date doesn't really add anything.

My bet is on whatever would be the least exciting. In my opinion, that means a date set for the first stage 1 relaunch. Not that that isn't exciting and historical, but we already knew it was coming, and having a firmer date doesn't really add anything.

Least exciting: they've identified the source of the helium leak.

Most exciting: announcement bundle
- Re-used Dragon for next ISS resupply mission
- Re-used stage 1 firm date
- Falcon Heavy first test launch firm date

Most disappointing/exciting: SpaceX announces new President; Gwynne Shotwell has been poached to lead NASA.

It looks like it's the new SpaceX spacesuit.

Another reporter just said that it isn't the spacesuit.

No one still knows how the announcement will happen....

Okay. Announcing a moon mission. Probably on the first FH flight in April.

Last edited: