Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 15th Reuse - Merah Putih - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woohoo. All good so far, including landing. Just waiting on satellite deployment. B1046 booster is good for launch #3. It will probably be the first booster to ever do a third launch. Go SpaceX.

How soon till they re-re-use this one? Anything more specific than 'later this year'?

Who knows? They need to examine it. 2+ months make the most sense. That's what it took for this first B5 reuse and I'd expect the same sort of time frame.

Reactions: bmah and e-FTW
Wow, there was a second before MECO where we saw a city lit up in the night (Orlando? The whole East Coast?) and what might have been aurora in the high atmosphere. I'll have to watch the replay and screen grab.

If the administration and NASA won't keep the ISS going forever, can I rent a room up there? I mean, can't be much more expensive than renting out here in San Francisco.

A few more grabs I liked.

A24A6C63-FB1A-49AF-9409-96E4B2A94ECF.png

DC8CD162-9182-400D-8E86-F274F6356A91.png

29F22759-7051-4C39-A690-6EE779050026.png

72D421B2-47AC-4132-B6F4-09EB686C4C1A.png

E48344EC-7B7C-4C54-99E1-0679AC84A3E1.png

Reactions: Grendal
These landings never seem to get old, except for the predictable last second breakup of the video. Funny how the SpaceX team in the background voiced their oohs and aahs perfectly in sync with the gaps in the video feed.

I noticed something during stage landing that I had not seen before: at T+8:22, a few seconds after the camera view from OCISLY was shown, the camera was angled up to see the stage coming down, so much that the deck of OCISLY was not visible, and then as the stage descended the camera angle was changed to show the deck. In other words, the camera angle was moved remotely. I was excited to see that. Pretty sure that is new.

Who knows? They need to examine it. 2+ months make the most sense. That's what it took for this first B5 reuse and I'd expect the same sort of time frame.

Interestingly, less than 12 hours after launch, they are rolling in a brand new Block V for the next mission! I suppose if you have a big enough fleet, it gives you leeway in turnaround time.

Chris G - NSF on Twitter

If and when they start reusing these Block V boosters 3, 4, 5 times, the whole "reusable rockets aren't economical" thesis is really going to fall apart.

Reactions: Grendal