Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upper right corner:
https://twitter.com/astrobehnken/status/1269992259740631041?s=21

EZ_rEZhXsAIcEJd

with the blackness of space, Earth with its blue and white covered sphere sure does look inviting. Beautiful shot with the station and Dragon above Earth.

Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
Actually I’m glad Elon could not do a satisfactory deal for those rockets. Instead, SpaceX built a revolutionary rocket that was 70% reusable and laid the foundation for cost-effective mass transport to Mars.

Oh, I'm glad too, the sad face is Russia that lost out on NASA crew dollars and has an uber low priced competitor in the launch market, not me. I'm :):cool::D:D:)
;)

Reactions: ecarfan
Russia’s space leader seems pretty bitter about SpaceX’s success

Roscomos head Dimitry Rogozin is plenty bitter about the success of Crew Dragon.

Eh, that's Eric Berger's take. If you read his translated Forbes piece, Rogozin sounds to me like he is writing something for domestic consumption. Among other things he is battling Moscow based detractors who don't like his new Space office park in a prime real estate location. He is reminding Russians that Russian rocketry is still excellent and relevant. He is trying to make sure he doesn't see a defeatist attitude take over and result in budget cuts. I wouldn't read more into it than what it is.

News. ‘This war is theirs – not ours’: Dmitry Rogozin on Elon Musk’s Crew Dragon launch

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Has anyone seen anything from Gywnne Shotwell on the success of the launch? I saw a couple of interviews she did before it, but nothing since...would love to hear her thoughts....

I almost posted this when it was first leaked. Reflecting on the days since then, her thoughts are a worthy read.

Date: Jun. 3, 2020 [Ed: time stamp redacted]
To: Everyone
Subj. Demo 2 and Changing the World

SpaceX Team,

On Sunday, SpaceX successfully delivered its first humans, NASA Astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the international Space Station. I hope each of you takes great pride in this extraordinary accomplishment. Until now, only three countries – Russia, the United States and China – have achieved the feat. Your commitment to the safe passage of ‘The Dads’ has required perseverance, sacrifice and a pursuit of a better, more exciting future. I truly believe there is no other group of people that could have made this happen – thank you and congratulations on the mission success thus far.

In speaking of trying to attain a better future, we must acknowledge the current reality. The death of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and so many more highlight the difficulties that communities of color face. These events are troubling. If you are struggling personally or would like to talk to someone, please reach out to your HR Rep, or visit our benefits page to learn about resources provided by Lyra Health and other services. It is ok (and encouraged) to take a moment, or the time you need, to deal with this.

I want to ensure that SpaceX is a place where these difficulties are recognized and certainly a place where bias and discrimination are not tolerated. I will be meeting with our African American employees this week so that we can have more in-depth conversations about their experiences at work and discuss what we can do to improve. I want to meet with others that want to help in this regard. Please send requests to Brian Weir [Ed: Executive Assistant to the COO], Brian Bjelde [Ed: VP of Human Resources], or our Manager of Diversity and Inclusion Jamin Gallman. We will collect good ideas, achievements and misses on this page. [Ed: Link redacted] It will also highlight organizations and opportunities to support this broader community.

Thank you for all your contributions and personal sacrifices that make SpaceX a tremendous success. Congrats on the historic launch and docking of the still ongoing DM-2 mission. And thank you in advance for your continued support in making SpaceX a place where all people can do excellent work, buoyed by the support and teamwork of their fellow employees.

Let’s keep doing our best work and accelerate our goal of making humanity multi-planetary.

-- g

p.s. A few of you have asked about the button I was wearing during launch. It’s based on a quote by Harriet Tubman that says “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

I almost posted this when it was first leaked. Reflecting on the days since then, her thoughts are a worthy read.

Date: Jun. 3, 2020 [Ed: time stamp redacted]
To: Everyone
Subj. Demo 2 and Changing the World

SpaceX Team,

On Sunday, SpaceX successfully delivered its first humans, NASA Astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the international Space Station. I hope each of you takes great pride in this extraordinary accomplishment. Until now, only three countries – Russia, the United States and China – have achieved the feat. Your commitment to the safe passage of ‘The Dads’ has required perseverance, sacrifice and a pursuit of a better, more exciting future. I truly believe there is no other group of people that could have made this happen – thank you and congratulations on the mission success thus far.

In speaking of trying to attain a better future, we must acknowledge the current reality. The death of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and so many more highlight the difficulties that communities of color face. These events are troubling. If you are struggling personally or would like to talk to someone, please reach out to your HR Rep, or visit our benefits page to learn about resources provided by Lyra Health and other services. It is ok (and encouraged) to take a moment, or the time you need, to deal with this.

I want to ensure that SpaceX is a place where these difficulties are recognized and certainly a place where bias and discrimination are not tolerated. I will be meeting with our African American employees this week so that we can have more in-depth conversations about their experiences at work and discuss what we can do to improve. I want to meet with others that want to help in this regard. Please send requests to Brian Weir [Ed: Executive Assistant to the COO], Brian Bjelde [Ed: VP of Human Resources], or our Manager of Diversity and Inclusion Jamin Gallman. We will collect good ideas, achievements and misses on this page. [Ed: Link redacted] It will also highlight organizations and opportunities to support this broader community.

Thank you for all your contributions and personal sacrifices that make SpaceX a tremendous success. Congrats on the historic launch and docking of the still ongoing DM-2 mission. And thank you in advance for your continued support in making SpaceX a place where all people can do excellent work, buoyed by the support and teamwork of their fellow employees.

Let’s keep doing our best work and accelerate our goal of making humanity multi-planetary.

-- g

p.s. A few of you have asked about the button I was wearing during launch. It’s based on a quote by Harriet Tubman that says “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

This is really spectacular. Can you re-post it on the Gwynne Shotwell thread? It deserves to be there as well as here.

Reactions: e-FTW and Nikxice
Yup, not coming back before August: SpaceX Dragon 2 Won't Be Back From ISS Until After July Suggests FCC Filing — Wccftech
In SpaceX's STA request, the requested period of operation for the Dragon 2's emergency beacon commences from the close of July (7/31), and it ends in January 2021. So naturally, this leads us to conclude that the mission with the two NASA astronauts is unlikely to return before the end of July. Prior to yesterday's filing, SpaceX has not requested the FCC for an STA to operate the Dragon 2 vehicle's emergency beacon for the DM-2 mission, but the filing is not the first time that a Dragon 2 vehicle has been the subject of one.

Previous requests have revealed SpaceX's plans for using five potential recovery antenna locations for the Dragon 2 after it departs from the ISS and splashes down in the Atlantic Ocean. These antennas will be placed on five separate ships, with each ship named after an American city.

Some details on the beacon:
The request (file number: 0884-EX-ST-2020) requests the regulatory body to grant the company permission to locate the Crew Dragon 2 vehicle after it splashes down upon return from the ISS. This will be achieved through the Dragon 2's emergency locator beacon manufactured by the European positioning systems equipment maker Orolia S.A.S headquartered in France, and by the looks of it, the unit that is present might be custom-designed by SpaceX and Orolia. This is due to the fact that the beacon has been listed as "Experimental" in the special temporary authority filed yesterday.

There is a lot going on this week, what with the Perseverance launch (with an exoplanet helicopter!) on a 541 Atlas 5. But of course we are here to discuss the return leg of the Demo-2 mission!

Keep NASA TV on to catch all the happenings including some live interviews with Doug and Bob, the Flight Readiness Review Briefing on Wednesday and of course all the action on Saturday.
Full week’s schedule here (the blue highlights are the live content): https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/nasa_tv_schedule_for_week_of_7-27-2020_0.pdf

Saturday (all times US Eastern):
23CCD3AE-4FFF-46A1-9B1D-56DFC2C443BD.jpeg

Bridenstine answered a question at the Perseverance pre=launch conference today about weather and DM-2 return. He said that there is a 48 hour window to decide Go - No Go and that there were options on where to land.

At 24 minutes in:
Yeah, and I think Benji said they had two go-no-gos the day of, with one at 2 hours (?) before undocking.
With the weather the way it is looking, feels like there is a good chance they stay on station a bit longer...