Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 7 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B1049 is the first fifth recovery! B1049 is a winner.

Successful launch, MECO, fairing deploy, landing, and good orbit.

Good deployment. The first time you get to see the tension rods deploy on this launch.
I know! I thought they were intentionally hidden from view because they are proprietary.
It was pretty cool to see it operate. It really is a tension rod! Neat design.

Yeah! Although I was a little concerned around T+7:26 when there were these spark-like things and we lost the video signal from the booster. But it all ended well!

Bruce.
Those are a pretty common occurrence and definitely exciting to see. The booster is punching through the thicker atmosphere and causing all kinds of sparks and fiery bits. Good times!

On to that tension rod.

If you get distracted by a shiny object rotating in and out of view (remember the second stage had a slight barrel roll going at that point to help deployment) you might miss the base of the tension rod slowly moving up and out of its base (in blue):
F13BDABF-34DE-4495-BDA9-99243C50B450.jpeg
76E2CC2F-9859-4B89-BEF1-C7E324EC7E99.png

E5EC19C8-2DEF-4ACC-8AEE-2A1C0B36A5AB.png

For this mission SpaceX used JRTI to recover the booster instead of OCISLY. I knew that JRTI had been moved to Florida from the West Coast but don’t recall it being used before to recover a booster launched from Florida. Was this the first time for that?

Does SpaceX plan to use both drone ships at the same time in an upcoming FH launch? I think I read that somewhere but now can’t find it. Apologies if that question diverts this thread into an off topic area, please move this post to the appropriate thread if that is the case. Thanks.