Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Starlink 7 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The findstarlink.com website showed that last night in my area the new sats would be visible (details below) but neither I nor my wife and neighbor could see them. Skies were clear, I could easily see Ursa Major and Arcturus but there was a full moon so maybe that combined with the new sunshade is the explanation
The full moon is a big inhibitor to Starlink viewing. A quick lookup reveals that when the moon is full it's a crazy 28,000 times brighter than Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky. I've found the threshold for viewing is either with no moon at all or perhaps only a crescent.
Last night we were able to catch the Starlink 6 satellite train. Although they were extremely dim (approximate magnitude 6.0, typically the naked eye limit is 6.5), there was also no moon to interfere. Usually standing outside in darkness for 10 minutes or so prior to viewing also helps. Unfortunately it doesn't appear as though the northeast has a good opportunity to view Starlink 7 until around June 20th.

Last edited:
Great pics of 1049.5 coming in to port: https://twitter.com/gregscott_photo/status/1269976475672948740?s=21
EZ_ZnZ5WoAAyfZc