Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - CRS-11 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the mood on the bus leaving the site & taking us to our cars was somber. Could have heard a pin drop. Everyone was bummed. I was bummed. But )(#*#!!, I need to get over it! In two days I saw the VAB, firing rooms, set foot on launch pads, saw SpaceX/Falcon/Dragon, met the scientists sending their experiments up to space, heard about the difficulty in satisfying all the sastronauts' culinary tastes, saw the crawler, mobile launch pads, and and and. I met the Acting Director! And more. I'm still sorting thru the experience.

They're not sure they can get us back on site (but probable), the weather is iffy, and it's an extremely short launch window (5 min). ONE DAMN LIGHTNING BOLT did us in. The mandatory waiting period after that blew us past the launch window. I have commitments that I should be back for ... so I'm going to fly home. But I AM going to do this again and I encourage all of you (@Grendal, for instance). Not everyone there had a high level of followers on social media. Some folks that got in were librarians, science teacher, etc. I've made tons of new friends and saw things I never knew I'd have the chance to see.

When I hear of another event (right now it looks like maybe next August), I'm going to apply. And I'll post over here and encourage you all to apply to (knowing it lowers my chances, but whatever).

I'll sort thru all my photos and get them into a google album in the next few days. Right now I'm worn out and it's not going to happen tonight.

So the mood on the bus leaving the site & taking us to our cars was somber. Could have heard a pin drop. Everyone was bummed. I was bummed. But )(#*#!!, I need to get over it! In two days I saw the VAB, firing rooms, set foot on launch pads, saw SpaceX/Falcon/Dragon, met the scientists sending their experiments up to space, heard about the difficulty in satisfying all the sastronauts' culinary tastes, saw the crawler, mobile launch pads, and and and. I met the Acting Director! And mor
Bonnie, as always you have the proper perspective on the experience, in my opinion. Sounds like a fantastic time!

Thank you so much, Bonnie. Sounds like it was incredible with a party pooper ending.

I do intend to experience a launch in person as well. I'm not sure my scheduling would allow for me to drop everything to watch a launch on relatively short notice. But thank you for the useful tips. I'll keep them in mind when I do get around to planning my journey.

uggh, PDFs

Launch day probability of violating launch weather constraints: 40%
Primary concern(s): Anvil Cloud Rule, Cumulus Cloud Rule, Flight through Precipitation

Delay probability of violating launch weather constraints: 50%
Primary concern(s): Anvil Cloud Rule, Cumulus Cloud Rule, Flight through Precipitation

Reactions: Grendal
SpaceX CRS-11 - Prelaunch News Conference

It was noted by Hans Koenigsmann in the CRS-11 pre-flight briefing that SpaceX has upgraded their second stage. The Inmarsat launch used the new design that allows for faster refueling and the next two launches will use the older design. At 32:45 in the video.

Other interesting information:
More than half of the Dragon is reused. There was no discount, just trade offs with SpaceX and NASA. 17:30
Next Dragon will be a new one.
Reuse for Crew Dragon has not been determined.
Fairing recovery is still being worked on. The bouncy castle is needed since the landing has damaged previous attempts.
NASA is willing to consider using reused boosters. They are working with SpaceX on the possibility. 26:00
Later summer RTF on SLC-40. SpaceX doesn't know the exact rocket yet.

uggh, PDFs

Launch day probability of violating launch weather constraints: 40%

Delay probability of violating launch weather constraints: 50%

So not looking good for tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G
Any thoughts about when SpaceX will begin using Dragon 2 on unmanned CRS missions? The design and mock up was shown quite some time back and a test of the launch escape is around a year back. It's reasonable to say don't use it on an unmanned mission until there is a need for its capabilities. But I can also see an argument saying, why not exercise all Dragon 2 core functions like docking, etc. in advance of missions where it's powered landing will be used? Has SpaceX said they plan to use a flight proven booster just to test out Dragon 2 in advance of a first mission to ISS? Any timeline for using it yet? Thanks.

Any thoughts about when SpaceX will begin using Dragon 2 on unmanned CRS missions? The design and mock up was shown quite some time back and a test of the launch escape is around a year back. It's reasonable to say don't use it on an unmanned mission until there is a need for its capabilities. But I can also see an argument saying, why not exercise all Dragon 2 core functions like docking, etc. in advance of missions where it's powered landing will be used? Has SpaceX said they plan to use a flight proven booster just to test out Dragon 2 in advance of a first mission to ISS? Any timeline for using it yet? Thanks.

I have yet to hear definitively that Dragon 2 will be used for cargo as well as manned missions. If I'm doing my math correctly SpaceX has about 9 used cargo Dragons sitting around which could easily cover the remainder of the CRS 1 & 2 contracts. It makes sense to me and I have mentioned it in the past that using a Dragon 2 for cargo could allow for powered landing testing. That's only IF NASA would allow for such a thing with their ISS returning cargo. NASA has essentially paid for all new hardware in their contracts. So it is up to them to give SpaceX the opportunity for testing. This latest pre-launch conference gave strong indication that NASA is willing to work with SpaceX to allow for reuse. So the two need to get together and work out the details.

Dragon 2 is supposed to have an in-flight abort test, an unmanned test flight planned for the end of this year, and then the manned demonstration flight planned for around March of next year with two astronauts. As I mentioned, NASA paid for all new hardware for all of that. I am certain that SpaceX would prefer to use flight proven boosters for this as much as possible. So we'll see what actually happens.

It makes sense to me and I have mentioned it in the past that using a Dragon 2 for cargo could allow for powered landing testing. This latest pre-launch conferhis latest pre-launch conference gave strong indication that NASA is willing to work with SpaceX to allow for reuse. So the two need to get together and work out the details.

Thank you Grendel! Has NASA actually said they'll permit a powered landing of the first manned Dragon 2 versus the water splashdown they've always done prior to Shuttle? I'd think they would want to see as many successful unmanned powered landings as possible before risking astronauts.

Reactions: Grendal
Wow. I just got a chance to watch the technical broadcast. If you haven't, watch it. You get to see some incredible details in the MECO moments. You get to see the first stage light the engine for the boostback burn. You can see the first stage boost directly away in the plume of the second stage. In the first stage window you can see the second stage boosting into orbit. That is too cool.