TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - CRS-10 - LC-39A

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. YellyYeti

YellyYeti Member

2. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

#62 Mike1080i, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    There is still hope... I've been to shuttle launches where the launch forecast was lower, around 20% or maybe less and when launch time arrived observed weather was go, and up it went. On the other hand I've been there for launches when weather was bad for days. Good advice for anyone going to see a launch is to be as flexible as possible with your schedule.

Good to hear that the Exploration Tower tickets are still good if the launch is scrubbed. That's a bit better than the KSC Visitors Center, where if the launch is scrubbed after you board the bus, your ticket is considered used.

Here is the 45th Weather Squadron's official forecast page for Cape launches.

3. macpacheco

macpacheco Member

CRS missions are the most hopeless, since they have an instantaneous launch window. Either the weather is good enough a few minutes from launch and stays good enough or its a scrub.
    Other missions might have windows from an hour to several hours, which allows the clock to be held until the weather is good enough (although there's a big if due to the deep cryo LOX temperature issues, if the boil off can be topped off effectively for hours using the current fueling system).

4. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

#64 Mike1080i, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    L-2 WX forecast has improved, NOTAM filed, FAA launch license issued, and F9/Dragon rolled out to 39A!

Launch day probability of violating launch weather constraints: 40%
    Primary concern(s): Thick Cloud Layer Rule

NOTAM for Feb 18th launch.

F9/Dragon at 39A from CBS News Bill Harwood.

Spaceflight Now live shot of 39A.

F9/Dragon now vertical for a dry dress rehearsal, will be back to horizontal for Dragon late cargo load tomorrow, then back to vertical for launch. (from Chris B at NSF).

5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I expect that CRS missions have a little more flexibility on fueling since it isn't as critical to get every ounce of fuel since they have a reasonable excess.

It would be interesting if someone knowledgeable could rate the launches informally on a one to ten scale for us less knowledgeable people to have an idea of the difficulty.

I think the CRS launches are easier but I could be completely wrong. It's LEO and the payload is light is why I think it is easy.

6. YellyYeti

YellyYeti Member

Today's forecast says that scrub probability has dropped to 30%. Thanks for the link! Anyone else going to the Exploration Tower to see the launch/landing?

7. xmetal

xmetal Member

Decided to go for it and booked a cheap hotel, driving up after work with the wife and kids. Looks like a healthy group of folks (from reddit) meeting at Jetty park to watch it go! Come on good weather!

8. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

9. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Video stream link please. I know someone here diligently setups a new topic and has the link here.

thank you

10. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

#70 Mike1080i, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    I hope @YellyYeti @xmetal and anyone else that is going gets to see a good launch and landing, wish I could be there.

Here are some streaming links, NASA Television coverage of the launch begins at 8:30 a.m. EST.

NASA TV Public:

NASA TV Media:

SpaceX CRS-10 Technical:

SpaceX CRS-10 Hosted:

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
  11. mkjayakumar

Although you say that the live coverage starts at 8:30 am EST, the count down timer is set to 10 am EST

This screen shot was taken at 9:15 PM today (friday)
    Untitled.png

12. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

#72 Mike1080i, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    As I recall, SpaceX coverage normally starts about 20 or 30 minutes before launch. Why they set the stream countdown timer to the launch time instead of the stream start I have no idea.

The NASA TV press release to the media says 8:30 a.m., and that is fairly normal for them. I just thought I'd include their streams since they will be on the air to cover things that the SpaceX stream doesn't. The NASA TV streams should also be good for Dragon rendezvous, capture and berthing to ISS.

13. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

The odds are now at 70% go for weather. The second stage problem has been corrected and a special software notification has been put in place to watch carefully for a drop in pressure in the second stage helium. This is used for warming up the second stage turbopump.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Weather sounds like a go! I am hoping for some good HD pics of the landing from Tesla folks in the area!!

15. mkjayakumar

.. and so it appears that the count down timer in SpaceX site is correct and the SpaceX webcast starts only at 10 am EST !

Of course NASA TV has a camera positioned all day and the commentator just said, "T Minus 70 minutes and counting. At this time we are a GO".

16. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

#76 Mike1080i, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    NASA TV coverage is on the air, just had the weather briefing and poll for tanking to start.
    The SpaceX stream should be up around 9:30 a.m. EST or shortly after.

17. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

Aborted. T -00:13

TVC (Thrust Vector Control) - 2nd stage abnormalities.

18. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Dang it!!!

19. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

20. mkjayakumar

shucks !! next attempt tomorrow 9:30 am EST (approx 30 minutes earlier than today)