Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - CRS-10 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is still hope... I've been to shuttle launches where the launch forecast was lower, around 20% or maybe less and when launch time arrived observed weather was go, and up it went. On the other hand I've been there for launches when weather was bad for days. Good advice for anyone going to see a launch is to be as flexible as possible with your schedule.

Good to hear that the Exploration Tower tickets are still good if the launch is scrubbed. That's a bit better than the KSC Visitors Center, where if the launch is scrubbed after you board the bus, your ticket is considered used.

Here is the 45th Weather Squadron's official forecast page for Cape launches.

Last edited:
CRS missions are the most hopeless, since they have an instantaneous launch window. Either the weather is good enough a few minutes from launch and stays good enough or its a scrub.
Other missions might have windows from an hour to several hours, which allows the clock to be held until the weather is good enough (although there's a big if due to the deep cryo LOX temperature issues, if the boil off can be topped off effectively for hours using the current fueling system).

L-2 WX forecast has improved, NOTAM filed, FAA launch license issued, and F9/Dragon rolled out to 39A!

Launch day probability of violating launch weather constraints: 40%
Primary concern(s): Thick Cloud Layer Rule

NOTAM for Feb 18th launch.
https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/832319326891941888
F9/Dragon at 39A from CBS News Bill Harwood.

Spaceflight Now live shot of 39A.

F9/Dragon now vertical for a dry dress rehearsal, will be back to horizontal for Dragon late cargo load tomorrow, then back to vertical for launch. (from Chris B at NSF).

Last edited:
I expect that CRS missions have a little more flexibility on fueling since it isn't as critical to get every ounce of fuel since they have a reasonable excess.

It would be interesting if someone knowledgeable could rate the launches informally on a one to ten scale for us less knowledgeable people to have an idea of the difficulty.

I think the CRS launches are easier but I could be completely wrong. It's LEO and the payload is light is why I think it is easy.

Although you say that the live coverage starts at 8:30 am EST, the count down timer is set to 10 am EST

This screen shot was taken at 9:15 PM today (friday)
Untitled.png

Although you say that the live coverage starts at 8:30 am EST, the count down timer is set to 10 am EST

As I recall, SpaceX coverage normally starts about 20 or 30 minutes before launch. Why they set the stream countdown timer to the launch time instead of the stream start I have no idea.

The NASA TV press release to the media says 8:30 a.m., and that is fairly normal for them. I just thought I'd include their streams since they will be on the air to cover things that the SpaceX stream doesn't. The NASA TV streams should also be good for Dragon rendezvous, capture and berthing to ISS.

Last edited:
.. and so it appears that the count down timer in SpaceX site is correct and the SpaceX webcast starts only at 10 am EST !

Of course NASA TV has a camera positioned all day and the commentator just said, "T Minus 70 minutes and counting. At this time we are a GO".