Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - CRS-10 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for off topic, but why is Launch complex 39 39? What does the number mean?

I followed the hyperlink and as far as I can tell it's just because 39 is higher than 37. In other words there were a bunch of other launch sites.

At the time, the highest numbered launch pad on CCAFS was Launch Complex 37; when the lunar launch complex was designed, it was designated as Launch Complex 39

I spent a lot more time than I expected to reading to even find that dry arbitrary designation.

Why at 1:56 looking at the first stage descent, Elon is stating "This is bad" ? Everything is going exactly according to script, but Elon somehow thinks something is afoot. The tremble and nervousness on his voice when he said that, brings a chill down me. Not sure what went through his mind, looking up when he said that.

The landing trajectory is intentionally off center so that if the last burn doesn't happen it doesn't hit the pad (it should hit the water instead) so the optical illusion is that even a perfect landing is about to screw up. He's out there eyeballing trajectory and timing without any computer readout or timer to help him. I can easily imagine the worst in that situation if I was there.

From some angles the successful landings look like an explosion. Watch the first 4 landings that worked and there first one that was picture perfect had even the announcers in front of the camera saying it looked like it didn't make it, then having to correct themselves when the smoke cleared and a healthy rocket was standing in the middle of the pad.

This just hasn't been done enough times for everyone to consider it a done deal and assume the best unconditionally. Everyone has at least some doubt even now that they've had even more successful landings.

But that video was old footage from back when more had crashed (RUD) than had successfully landed and been returned to study/refurbish.

Reactions: Grendal
Hello all! The wife and I were thinking about heading over there on Tuesday (Valentine's Day Lunch Date?) to watch the launch and landing. It is just over an hour drive for us. Based on some searches, it appears the closest spot to pad 39A is the fence line at Playalinda Beach, but the closest spot to LZ-1 is Port Canaveral, maybe the piers Bgarret mentioned? I'd be most interested in seeing the landing, any opinions on which is best? Does it get crowded?

For landings, somewhere around the Port is closest. Jetty Park Pier might be what @Bgarret was referring to. Exploration Tower is probably the best landing viewing option if it is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bgarret
The landing trajectory is intentionally off center so that if the last burn doesn't happen it doesn't hit the pad (it should hit the water instead) so the optical illusion is that even a perfect landing is about to screw up. He's out there eyeballing trajectory and timing without any computer readout or timer to help him. I can easily imagine the worst in that situation if I was there.

From some angles the successful landings look like an explosion. Watch the first 4 landings that worked and there first one that was picture perfect had even the announcers in front of the camera saying it looked like it didn't make it, then having to correct themselves when the smoke cleared and a healthy rocket was standing in the middle of the pad.

This just hasn't been done enough times for everyone to consider it a done deal and assume the best unconditionally. Everyone has at least some doubt even now that they've had even more successful landings.

But that video was old footage from back when more had crashed (RUD) than had successfully landed and been returned to study/refurbish.

Thank you. To control and maneuver and land precisely is mind blogging.

Actually that was the very first successful landing. It had never been done before. I could be wrong but I think Elon saw a shorter or longer burn than he was expecting. In his interview after the successful landing, he said the sonic boom came at the same time as the landing and he mistakenly thought the rocket had exploded on landing. The two moments are separate from each other though.

You could be completely correct about what happened too.

The booster has been spotted rolling out to LC39A for its static fire.
SpaceX Falcon 9 CRS/SpX-10 Dragon - Feb 18, 2017 - UPDATES

Successful completion of the static fire nearly assures launch attempt at Feb 18th, specially as there would be a full week for SpaceX to do any finishing touches that might still be left to do. But the bulk of the work must be performed before the static fire.

So folks, for those of you with more knowledge than I, what do you think the likelihood of a good launch on the 18th is? Weather is the main unknown and it looks like there is a decent chance of rain at the Cape this weekend...

I want to see another F9 head up, but it does involve dragging my wife and kids across the state and getting a hotel, etc so I'm trying to figure out where to look for the best info on how likely the launch will be. Any tips?

So folks, for those of you with more knowledge than I, what do you think the likelihood of a good launch on the 18th is? Weather is the main unknown and it looks like there is a decent chance of rain at the Cape this weekend...

I want to see another F9 head up, but it does involve dragging my wife and kids across the state and getting a hotel, etc so I'm trying to figure out where to look for the best info on how likely the launch will be. Any tips?
I've found SpaceX Facebook group has the most up to date information on all SpaceX related subjects. I just went there and the current comments say that it is a solid go on the weather front except for too much wind and clouds in the upper atmosphere. That forecast will come out in the next 24 hours. There are never any guarantees and this being the first launch at a new pad using a new system would warn me that a delay or scrub is much more likely than at other times. So best of luck. It is a historic launch and a very likely successful landing.

Thanks for the Facebook tip Grendal! I was obviously a fan of the official SpaceX page but never thought to look for an unofficial one, and that fan page does have a lot more chatter. I guess I'll keep an eye on that group for the weather updates and will probably make a last minute call to head over there.