TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - CRS-10 - LC-39A

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Jan 18, 2017.

1. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I followed the hyperlink and as far as I can tell it's just because 39 is higher than 37. In other words there were a bunch of other launch sites.

I spent a lot more time than I expected to reading to even find that dry arbitrary designation.

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

The landing trajectory is intentionally off center so that if the last burn doesn't happen it doesn't hit the pad (it should hit the water instead) so the optical illusion is that even a perfect landing is about to screw up. He's out there eyeballing trajectory and timing without any computer readout or timer to help him. I can easily imagine the worst in that situation if I was there.

From some angles the successful landings look like an explosion. Watch the first 4 landings that worked and there first one that was picture perfect had even the announcers in front of the camera saying it looked like it didn't make it, then having to correct themselves when the smoke cleared and a healthy rocket was standing in the middle of the pad.

This just hasn't been done enough times for everyone to consider it a done deal and assume the best unconditionally. Everyone has at least some doubt even now that they've had even more successful landings.

But that video was old footage from back when more had crashed (RUD) than had successfully landed and been returned to study/refurbish.

• Like x 1
  3. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

#43 Mike1080i, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    For landings, somewhere around the Port is closest. Jetty Park Pier might be what @Bgarret was referring to. Exploration Tower is probably the best landing viewing option if it is available.

• Like x 1
  4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Thank you. To control and maneuver and land precisely is mind blogging.

5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Actually that was the very first successful landing. It had never been done before. I could be wrong but I think Elon saw a shorter or longer burn than he was expecting. In his interview after the successful landing, he said the sonic boom came at the same time as the landing and he mistakenly thought the rocket had exploded on landing. The two moments are separate from each other though.

You could be completely correct about what happened too.

6. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

• Like x 2
  7. macpacheco

macpacheco Member

The booster has been spotted rolling out to LC39A for its static fire.
    SpaceX Falcon 9 CRS/SpX-10 Dragon - Feb 18, 2017 - UPDATES

Successful completion of the static fire nearly assures launch attempt at Feb 18th, specially as there would be a full week for SpaceX to do any finishing touches that might still be left to do. But the bulk of the work must be performed before the static fire.

• Like x 2
  8. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

The static fire window opens at 10AM ET tomorrow, Feb 11th.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

This last delay was caused by an issue with LZ 1, not the pad or rocket.

10. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Static test fire scrubbed for today. No news as to why but SpaceX is not in a rush with the launch still a week away.

• Informative x 2
  11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

CRS-10 will possibly be the last new cargo Dragon used. From now on cargo Dragons will be reused.

• Informative x 1
  12. JOEV1

JOEV1 *****joe

Elon is in Dubai for launching Tesla at Burch Dubai Tower Building on Monday. So he might wait for that.
    He can not dance at two weddings at the same time... I guess :(

13. macpacheco

macpacheco Member

The static fire delays has been for real technical reasons. It's not waiting for Musk. Besides a static fire isn't a big deal. The launch is, and its a week away if it doesn't slip.

14. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Static fire confirmed! 4:30pm Eastern today 2-12 - the first exhaust plume from LC39A since Shuttle days :)

• Like x 4
  15. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

#55 Mike1080i, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Like x 2
  16. xmetal

xmetal Member

So folks, for those of you with more knowledge than I, what do you think the likelihood of a good launch on the 18th is? Weather is the main unknown and it looks like there is a decent chance of rain at the Cape this weekend...

I want to see another F9 head up, but it does involve dragging my wife and kids across the state and getting a hotel, etc so I'm trying to figure out where to look for the best info on how likely the launch will be. Any tips?

17. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I've found SpaceX Facebook group has the most up to date information on all SpaceX related subjects. I just went there and the current comments say that it is a solid go on the weather front except for too much wind and clouds in the upper atmosphere. That forecast will come out in the next 24 hours. There are never any guarantees and this being the first launch at a new pad using a new system would warn me that a delay or scrub is much more likely than at other times. So best of luck. It is a historic launch and a very likely successful landing.

18. xmetal

xmetal Member

Thanks for the Facebook tip Grendal! I was obviously a fan of the official SpaceX page but never thought to look for an unofficial one, and that fan page does have a lot more chatter. I guess I'll keep an eye on that group for the weather updates and will probably make a last minute call to head over there.

19. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

The new launch window for Saturday's launch is 10:01 AM Eastern time.

20. YellyYeti

YellyYeti Member

I went ahead and got tickets at the Exploration tower for Saturday. I figured being a few stories up it might give the best view of the landing. Tickets ($20) are good for the next attempt if the launch is pushed back. Keeping my fingers crossed...

• Like x 1