Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Getting Ready To Mass Produce Falcon 9 Rockets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX Getting Ready To Mass Produce Falcon 9 Rockets | Threwns

30 Falcon 9s is at least 10 Falcon Heavy (1 Falcon 9 + 2 stage 1 boosters).
I saw that too, but it seems a bit odd to me considering that they're hopefully going to also have a bunch of recovered 1st stages. It may take a few years, but eventually I expect that rather than insisting on new stages, that customers will want stages that have been proven by previous flights. It should be like aircraft where there's a couple of test flights before they enter service.

Rocket is able to reduce speed near zero when land in ship why damage, sink it is not big problem

Of course it must reduce it's velocity to exactly zero as it lands, otherwise it crashes regardless of it it's landing on a platform at sea, on land or on the ocean surface. However, if it lands on the ocean surface then what happens? It sinks to the bottom of the ocean. That is a big problem, isn't it?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Of course it must reduce it's velocity to exactly zero as it lands, otherwise it crashes regardless of it it's landing on a platform at sea, on land or on the ocean surface. However, if it lands on the ocean surface then what happens? It sinks to the bottom of the ocean. That is a big problem, isn't it?
Actually the Rocket will float because of the light materials used and the fuel is all used up so there is a huge air pocket in the rocket. The real reason why they can't land in the sea is because the ocean swells will tear it apart. Also saltwater corrodes the materials so that means they would have to refurbish the rocket which would be expensive.

is impossible to reduce
Actually the Rocket will float because of the light materials used and the fuel is all used up so there is a huge air pocket in the rocket. The real reason why they can't land in the sea is because the ocean swells will tear it apart. Also saltwater corrodes the materials so that means they would have to refurbish the rocket which would be expensive.

Your point is well taken. I got carried away replying to the nonsense above.

In the longer term they want to be able to land them all on land, because the turnaround would be faster and much cheaper, so they need to solve the landing problem.

Agree that landing on land would make for faster and cheaper turnaround, but I'm not so sure SpaceX is trying to get all launches to return on land--at least not all the Cape Canaveral launches. For missions requiring higher launch orbit (meaning you have to get the payload/second stage to a higher orbit, for example for a geostationary satellite), more fuel is required, more altitude is required, and more speed is required. This means that you can't reverse the first stage and return to Cape Canaveral. It's too far downrange, too fast, too high, and would require too much fuel.

So for these types of launches, I think sea-based landings are expected and planned for the future. Although they could just do higher orbit launches from Vandenburg, I suppose.

So for these types of launches, I think sea-based landings are expected and planned for the future. Although they could just do higher orbit launches from Vandenburg, I suppose.
No, that doesn't work. The thing about orbit is velocity, not altitude, as you already noted. If you can launch toward the east, you can take advantage of the earth's rotation to add to the velocity. Cape Canaveral works because you can launch toward the east. But Vandenberg can only launch south (or east which makes no sense at all), which works for very high inclination orbits.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I wonder if landing at sea would also give spaceX more options for commercial flight. Less constrained by geography and availability of landing sites (and politics?).

You need to fly when? No problem, we'll move our landing ship to an appropriate position and get your cargo where you need it, when you need it...

Early on it may also mitigate infrastructure damage from any problem landings.

Pretty sure on the successful pad landing they explained this ...most efficient place to land is near the refurb factory, which generally means on land near CA. However, CA environmental rules make this near to impossible so... can take off from TX and land on a pad in FL, can take off anywhere and land on drone ship on any body of water. Th drone ship can then transport the salvaged rocket back to port of LA, relatively low cost compared to land transport from FL or maybe TX/NM.