TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SpaceX Getting Ready To Mass Produce Falcon 9 Rockets

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Johan, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

#1 Johan, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I saw that too, but it seems a bit odd to me considering that they're hopefully going to also have a bunch of recovered 1st stages. It may take a few years, but eventually I expect that rather than insisting on new stages, that customers will want stages that have been proven by previous flights. It should be like aircraft where there's a couple of test flights before they enter service.

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

4. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I know this is a stupid comment, but can't resist (I'm sure someone has already pointed this out...).

She has a GREAT last name to be COO for SpaceX. :biggrin:

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

• Informative x 1
  6. raysspl

raysspl Member

Good stuff. Glad to hear Space X is getting closer to the goal of commercializing space travel & transport.

• Like x 1
  7. Milaim

Milaim Member

Why they are attempting to land on the ship, though not directly at sea !!!!!
    I don't understand :(

8. Johan

Rockets don't swim well.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

In the longer term they want to be able to land them all on land, because the turnaround would be faster and much cheaper, so they need to solve the landing problem.

10. Milaim

Milaim Member

I think that is show to advertise the company, not much needed to land in sea

• Dislike x 3
  11. Johan

Of course it must reduce it's velocity to exactly zero as it lands, otherwise it crashes regardless of it it's landing on a platform at sea, on land or on the ocean surface. However, if it lands on the ocean surface then what happens? It sinks to the bottom of the ocean. That is a big problem, isn't it?

• Helpful x 1
  12. Milaim

Milaim Member

is impossible to reduce

• Dislike x 4
  13. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

Actually the Rocket will float because of the light materials used and the fuel is all used up so there is a huge air pocket in the rocket. The real reason why they can't land in the sea is because the ocean swells will tear it apart. Also saltwater corrodes the materials so that means they would have to refurbish the rocket which would be expensive.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. Johan

Your point is well taken. I got carried away replying to the nonsense above.

• Like x 3
  15. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Agree that landing on land would make for faster and cheaper turnaround, but I'm not so sure SpaceX is trying to get all launches to return on land--at least not all the Cape Canaveral launches. For missions requiring higher launch orbit (meaning you have to get the payload/second stage to a higher orbit, for example for a geostationary satellite), more fuel is required, more altitude is required, and more speed is required. This means that you can't reverse the first stage and return to Cape Canaveral. It's too far downrange, too fast, too high, and would require too much fuel.

So for these types of launches, I think sea-based landings are expected and planned for the future. Although they could just do higher orbit launches from Vandenburg, I suppose.

16. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

One completely juvenile reason to land on a ship is because no matter the outcome, it's totally boss. :cool:

• Funny x 3
  17. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

No, that doesn't work. The thing about orbit is velocity, not altitude, as you already noted. If you can launch toward the east, you can take advantage of the earth's rotation to add to the velocity. Cape Canaveral works because you can launch toward the east. But Vandenberg can only launch south (or east which makes no sense at all), which works for very high inclination orbits.

• Informative x 1
  18. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I wonder if landing at sea would also give spaceX more options for commercial flight. Less constrained by geography and availability of landing sites (and politics?).

You need to fly when? No problem, we'll move our landing ship to an appropriate position and get your cargo where you need it, when you need it...

Early on it may also mitigate infrastructure damage from any problem landings.

19. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

Pretty sure on the successful pad landing they explained this ...most efficient place to land is near the refurb factory, which generally means on land near CA. However, CA environmental rules make this near to impossible so... can take off from TX and land on a pad in FL, can take off anywhere and land on drone ship on any body of water. Th drone ship can then transport the salvaged rocket back to port of LA, relatively low cost compared to land transport from FL or maybe TX/NM.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Now that makes sense! Thanks! Future rep point...