Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting update

SpaceX is in communication with all but three of 60 Starlink satellites one month after launch — The Verge

"As for the remaining two satellites, SpaceX intentionally fired their onboard thrusters with the goal of crashing them into the planet’s atmosphere. There wasn’t anything wrong with those satellites — the company just wanted to test the de-orbiting process."

I doubt other operators would purposely sacrifice two satellites just for testing reentry, particularly when 3 are already doomed for reentry.

• Disagree
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Ok, so what gives: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Does Bezos wake up each day wondering what part of SpaceX to copy? Or has he realized that there isn’t enough launch business, so he needs to vertically integrate an application as SpaceX is doing?

At any rate, we are going to awash with satellite broadband.

The market numbers in that article are interesting because they are so low. It says only 21 million Americans are without broadband, so I suspect that “broadband” is defined something like 5 Mbps or better. These days, a 30 Mbps is too slow.

Does Bezos wake up each day wondering what part of SpaceX to copy? Or has he realized that there isn’t enough launch business, so he needs to vertically integrate an application as SpaceX is doing?

The market numbers in that article are interesting because they are so low. It says only 21 million Americans are without broadband, so I suspect that “broadband” is defined something like 5 Mbps or better. These days, a 30 Mbps is too slow.
Till 2015, it was 4Mbps up/ 1 Mbps down. Then it became 25/3. Powell was trying to reduce the standard to include cell coverage as sufficient (versus requiring both)

https://broadbandnow.com/report/fcc-broadband

2015 report with lots of stats:
2015 Broadband Progress Report

2008 FCC report for comparison:
Sixth Broadband Progress Report
Also (in general) : these constellations are world wide coverage vs geosynchronous with specific spot coverage.

I'm on DSL at <8/4, no cable available.

I think the market includes the entire planet, not just Americans.

If that's what you got from the [months old] news that Amazon is, like a bunch of other entities, looking to put up an internet constellation, I'd encourage you to review the history of satellite internet and then the history of Amazon.

More so than pretty much any other entity in the game, it has been a foregone conclusion that Amazon would at some point put up a constellation to support their continuing efforts to take over the world. That they chose to wait until this year to officially announce their plans is indication of nothing--positive or negative--other than their business strategy.

If that's what you got from the [months old] news that Amazon is, like a bunch of other entities, looking to put up an internet constellation, I'd encourage you to review the history of satellite internet and then the history of Amazon.

More so than pretty much any other entity in the game, it has been a foregone conclusion that Amazon would at some point put up a constellation to support their continuing efforts to take over the world. That they chose to wait until this year to officially announce their plans is indication of nothing--positive or negative--other than their business strategy.

AWS would likely benefit from its own back haul network. Fault tolerance, if not bandwidth capacity.

Reactions: bxr140
5449A742-86B4-413D-BC1B-5B8A1C809E7C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc

So... to do an altitude adjustment for collision avoidance efficiently, they need the burn to occur 1/2 an orbit ahead of time (or 1.5 or 2.5), but no one ever explains that is due to orbital mechanics. Without a KSP background, the whole 1/2 an orbit before collision sounds last minuteish/ alarmish.

Or am I just pessimistic about news coverage?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Matt Desch‏ @IridiumBoss

Hmmm. We move our satellites on average once a week and don't put out a press release to say who we maneuvered around...

So a friendly SpaceX customer is turning the tables on ESA, basically stating this is no big deal. The story got plenty of media attention in the last 24 hours, even heard a segment on NPR Tuesday. Seems like a calculated ESA hit job on SpaceX, but of course I'm biased as all hell. Credit SpaceX for taking the high road by issuing their statement.

Further down in Matt Desch's Twitter feed he was asked if Iridium charged the owners of the satellites they maneuver around. His response, "I wish. We’d make a heck of a lot if we could."