Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it interesting that one company is planning 720 satellites to cover broadband for ALASKA (only I assume).

That gives one an appreciation of the scale of coverage that would be needed.

Hence the 4400 LEO followed by 7k+ lower orbital satellites planned by SpaceX.

(In comparison the 108 planned by another company seems.... paultry).

As much as I followed this, I missed Elon saying the antenna would be the size of a pizza box. I've had hopes on there being a mobile version of this - something that would fit on a car. That would mean Tesla could tell AT&T to go pound sand and not be susceptible to dead cell spots for it's telematics and use Starlink instead.

I missed Elon saying the antenna would be the size of a pizza box. I've had hopes on there being a mobile version of this - something that would fit on a car.
Yes, he’s made that statement a number of times. The planned size of the receiver could certainly fit on a vehicle, but I don’t think it will be something that you would have permanently mounted unless it was something like an RV where you didn’t care about aerodynamics.

It appears that Starlink is not intended to be a service like Inmarsat satellite phones where a mobile phone can communicate with the satellite fleet directly. However, I wouldn’t rule that out in the future...

Yes, he’s made that statement a number of times. The planned size of the receiver could certainly fit on a vehicle, but I don’t think it will be something that you would have permanently mounted unless it was something like an RV where you didn’t care about aerodynamics./QUOTE]
It depends. If it's pizza box width and length, but very thin, "up" is sufficient for pointing it, maybe they could integrate it into the roof or trunk lid. I'm not holding my breath, but I agree with @djplong - it'd be awesome to tell AT&T to take a hike, at least for new cars.

Just curious: was there a response there @ccutrer ?
Or is it a bug that I saw nothing except the quote? Honest question, as I've seen this before.

The reply is in the quote, the square brace in the end quote tag was deleted.

I'm wondering if they have a low cost phased array designed. It seems like beam steering would be needed due to the rapid movement of the satellites.

Reactions: jkn and e-FTW
I find it interesting that one company is planning 720 satellites to cover broadband for ALASKA (only I assume).

That gives one an appreciation of the scale of coverage that would be needed.

That’s not how it works. Oneweb is going for global coverage with 720 Leo spacecraft in a number of different orbits, and the entire quantity (more or less) is required to provide full service globally. As the constellation is rolled out there will be gaps in both coverage and bandwidth, because you can’t launch 720 spacecraft at one time. Alaska makes sense as a pilot region because many of the orbits converge at high latitudes, so you could end up with a good amount of coverage for a fairly small number of spacecraft. It’s also mostly a first world area with presumably a fair number of people that don’t have but do want high speed data, so you can realize revenue sooner.

(In comparison the 108 planned by another company seems.... paultry).

It’s all about the capacity and coverage of each spacecraft—comparing quantities does nothing to indicate total performance.

More spacecraft means more launches, which for the foreseeable future (despite predictably grand claims by Elon) are going to be the long pole. So fewer launches with higher performing spacecraft can get your network to saleable capacity faster, not to mention the lower volume is less of a paradigm shift on a traditionally low volume supply chain for space hardware. On the flip side more smaller spacecraft are easier to industrialize, and impact total network performance if a single unit suffers an anomaly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matias and GoTslaGo
O/T: where can I learn the distinction between Iridium and Tesla's plan? To what extent will they be competing for the same market?
The SpaceX Starlink system will provide global high speed/low latency internet access via a constellation of 4,425 small satellites in LEO. We really don’t know much beyond that.

See Iridium | Services . Iridium does offer broadband. The two companies clearly are competitors.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Though I think Paz is the first RTLS for the West Coast, maybe.
I’m quoting that from another thread. ;) But I don’t find an “official” thread for the Paz launch, so thought I would insert it into this one.

I have not seen anything official from SpaceX regarding what will happen to the Paz first stage after launch. Hoping to learn soon. Am considering going to this launch. If the weather is clear, it could be quite spectacular: launching in darkness at 0622 and flying up into sunlight a few minutes later, maybe?

I’m quoting that from another thread. ;) But I don’t find an “official” thread for the Paz launch, so thought I would insert it into this one.

I have not seen anything official from SpaceX regarding what will happen to the Paz first stage after launch. Hoping to learn soon. Am considering going to this launch. If the weather is clear, it could be quite spectacular: launching in darkness at 0622 and flying up into sunlight a few minutes later, maybe?

Ooo, a repeat of the Iridium launch where most of LA thought they were being bombed or invaded by aliens? That would be cool. Good luck.

Reactions: GoTslaGo and mongo
if SpaceX launches their satellites, I think they will (& should) aim bigger and some of the incumbent Telcos, cable providers can get screwed big time.

However none of SpaceX profits will flow to Tesla investors :( (other than some goodwill )
At least in the US, if there was ever an industry that deserves to get disrupted, more so than the traditional auto+dealerships, it's the TelCos.

if SpaceX launches their satellites, I think they will (& should) aim bigger and some of the incumbent Telcos, cable providers can get screwed big time.

However none of SpaceX profits will flow to Tesla investors :( (other than some goodwill )

The profits will flow to Tesla investors if Starlink proves to be an important element for Tesla Network.

If Tesla can switch from paying cellular data service rates to a lower cost SpaceX system, that will improve the bottom line. Especially with a goal of million of vehicles on the road, each with a data link.

The profits will flow to Tesla investors if Starlink proves to be an important element for Tesla Network.

Semi-agree, but other players will not need Starlink to do network, GPS stuff ? Also, TSLA will have to buy these services at specified rates from SpaceX, and SpaceX will likely need to make all their services available to all parties at the same costs ...

Edit. As a non Tesla owner, my understanding is currently internet services are free. In future that might not be the case and yes they could monitize it some ..

• Informative
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Semi-agree, but other players will not need Starlink to do network, GPS stuff ? Also, TSLA will have to buy these services at specified rates from SpaceX, and SpaceX will likely need to make all their services available to all parties at the same costs ...

I wouldn't expect other automakers rushing to contract SpaceX's services, just like they're not rushing to use the Supercharger network.