Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a beta thread? I've applied as I'm looking to buy a house that has no viable broadband. Wondering how long it might be or maybe it's a total mystery.
Go here: Starlink
Enter your email address and address of the new property......verify the google earth location, and see if you can get service now.

I tried...my house doesn't qualify (43.56 latitude), but my cottage, north east of the house does (44.52 latitude). My understanding is that the current beta service is between 44 and 52 degrees

Go here: Starlink
Enter your email address and address of the new property......verify the google earth location, and see if you can get service now.

I tried...my house doesn't qualify (43.56 latitude), but my cottage, north east of the house does (44.52 latitude). My understanding is that the current beta service is between 44 and 52 degrees
Yep, already did that and I qualify (47 degrees), but I'm also in the Seattle area so I'm thinking they might be max'd out here. Regardless, I'll suffer with a 5G hotspot if StarLink doesn't work out in the short term.

Polar sats have laser links and they are in use:
imfiringmah_lazooor1.jpg
imfiringmah_lazooor2.jpg

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1353574169288396800?s=19

Wow. Once again SpaceX moves fast and breaks things. Didn't the opportunity to even launch polar sats come together at the last minute? They realized they had enough payload capacity for 10 polar sats on this ride share like in November so they asked the FCC for a permit exception to launch. FCC granted the permit in a few weeks, and then SpaceX had to integrate the ten sats (at the bottom of the stack!) onto Falcon 9 in a hurry. Somewhere along that timeline, they fitted ten prototype laser links onto ten Starlink sats, because only these ten sats have lasers.

Talk about an agile company!

Wow. Once again SpaceX moves fast and breaks things. Didn't the opportunity to even launch polar sats come together at the last minute? They realized they had enough payload capacity for 10 polar sats on this ride share like in November so they asked the FCC for a permit exception to launch. FCC granted the permit in a few weeks, and then SpaceX had to integrate the ten sats (at the bottom of the stack!) onto Falcon 9 in a hurry. Somewhere along that timeline, they fitted ten prototype laser links onto ten Starlink sats, because only these ten sats have lasers.

Talk about an agile company!

They had already launched satellites with space lasers and tested them, so I don't think it was a huge deal.

They had already launched satellites with space lasers and tested them, so I don't think it was a huge deal.

Were there ISLs on any of the production starlinks? To my recollection it was only the two prototypes, and those seemed to be big, expensive, externally procured units.

Aren't lasers extremely narrow beam. How are they able to have a laser from one satellite point precisely to another one that is 100s pf KMs away and also moving at an incredible speed? Or maybe that is not how this thing works?

Relative to each other, the satellites are moving extremely slowly. Think of cars on the freeway, all traveling about the same speed. Absolute speed is 70mph, relative speed is 2mph. The in-plane satellites almost have literally near-zero relative velocity to each other. Cross-plane interlinks are where satellite velocities end up non-zero, but those velocities deltas are also very predictable/sinusoidal.

Note that both tracking heads (one on each sat) have to track each other to close the link.

Aren't lasers extremely narrow beam. How are they able to have a laser from one satellite point precisely to another one that is 100s pf KMs away and also moving at an incredible speed? Or maybe that is not how this thing works?

Point to point laser communication system have optics which focus or defocus the beam to take into account movement jitter and also bit rate. For example, if you only needed 1 Mbps of bit rate, you probably could defocus the laser beam such that it was 500m in diameter at the receiving satellite thus giving you a lot of error margin in pointing the lasers and receivers at each other. Higher bit rates are going to need tighter beams, but there is still going to be quite a bit of directional slop available at the receiving sat.

Add in the fact that each satellite is essentially stationary relative to each other in the same orbital plane, and that there is no atmosphere to muck up the beam, and you've got a pretty stable communications link.

Lasers for satellite to satellite communications I believe are a well established technology - as usual with SpaceX, the challenge is to make them cheaply.

As bxr140 said, AFAIK, there were only two satellites launched with test ISL links. No doubt these lasers are a newer version. And if my time line is correct, it was a very big deal. But whatever.