Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbor, who is a SpaceX fan, was out there with me and took this photo with his iPhone.

C3B20CD6-114A-42D7-ADCF-D5A635FEA96D.jpeg

I don't know why I didn't think of this since I knew about the FCC's rural digital opportunity fund. Basically, the FCC has been holding "auctions", really bidder submissions since there isn't much competition in any one area, to build out rural broadband. The largest winners of these subsidy programs, and really I should say grant programs since they typically fund the entire build out, are usually large cable cos and telcos. There have been plucky entrepreneurs who have won grant money here and there.

Anyways, SpaceX had a chat with the FCC to change the terms of this particular auction set for this fall. The current FCC rules would have disallowed SpaceX to bid, but SpaceX is lobbying that they should be allowed to compete for these grants. I'll try to dig up specific information about this since the docs should be public.

WSJ News Exclusive | Musk's SpaceX Looking to Compete for $16 Billion in Federal Broadband Subsidies

OK, so I've researched the FCC's rural digital opportunity fund a bit more. My previous post wasn't quite correct. The original FCC rules for this program wouldn't have prohibited SpaceX from bidding, it just would have severely disadvantaged it. The original rules lumped all satellite bids into a high latency category, which would have cost SpaceX "points" which are used to rank various bids.

According to the WSJ, SpaceX convinced the FCC to make the rules more fair and to allow satellite operators to bid under the low latency category if they have in fact demonstrated low latency. From the above article: "The company, formally known as Space Exploration Technologies Corp., has convinced the Federal Communications Commission to propose a policy change that would improve its chances of winning federal funds to expand internet service in far-flung parts of the U.S., records show."

Of course, this wouldn't be SpaceX if they didn't attract lobbyists that are trying to perpetuate an unfair playing field against them. One of the quotes from the WSJ article: " “This will be a political disaster if Elon F’ing Musk gobbles up billions of dollars of the public’s money,” a congressional aide told industry lobbyists last week in one of the emails."

Anyways, one the other issues SpaceX had with the FCC requirements is that the FCC is mandating that they provide separate telephone in addition to the broadband. SpaceX and others pushed back on this saying VOIP is pervasive and you can sign up to any number of telephone over Internet providers, but it appears the FCC stood firm in this case. Search for "SpaceX" in this document to read more about that: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-5A1.pdf

As it happens, when you provide telephone service, there is usually a mandate for battery backup in case of power failure. VOIP providers usually deal with this by providing a small UPS that lasts 8 hours to power just the voice features. Anyways, if SpaceX bids and wins, expect them to have a separate telephone option. It isn't hard to do, nor expensive, just takes engineering.

Here was SpaceX's presentation to the FCC requesting the rule change for latency considerations: https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10220006908863/FCC Presentation on RDOF Procedures v3.pdf

These auctions take time, so don't expect much news about this quickly. But it would be a good thing, I think, if SpaceX could carve out some grant money. Stay tuned.

Interesting. Yeah, for VoIP, don't they usually just have a battery pack in the modem to keep the POTS port hot?

I live right outside the city limits. No cable for me (unless I want to pay thousands of dollars to the cable co's contruction firm to trench all the say across my property). I'm on Viasat now but eagerly awaiting LEO satellites or a decently priced cellular option for home use.

Though my wife has been complaining about how the Starlink sats are wrecking our dark skies....

As it happens, when you provide telephone service, there is usually a mandate for battery backup in case of power failure. VOIP providers usually deal with this by providing a small UPS that lasts 8 hours to power just the voice features. Anyways, if SpaceX bids and wins, expect them to have a separate telephone option. It isn't hard to do, nor expensive, just takes engineering.
And it's not even that much engineering.

Telephone and Internet
Starlink hub + VOIP converter + battery.

Telephone only option:
Starlink hub with one port/ filtering that only connects to VOIP converter + battery

From the recent talk, it sounded like Elon is thinking that POTS providers would want to leverage Starlink to provide the required coverage.

Yes, and just the POTS port. Keeping power on for broadband takes more energy, so that usually isn't part of the system.

The Comcast cable/ phone box keeps the modem running. It would be interesting if POTS requirements only covered outgoing calls. Regardless, Starlink could strobe the receive/ transmitter to save power. 100mS on 900 mS off, 1 second ringer latency.

The Comcast cable/ phone box keeps the modem running. It would be interesting if POTS requirements only covered outgoing calls. Regardless, Starlink could strobe the receive/ transmitter to save power. 100mS on 900 mS off, 1 second ringer latency.

Many ways of providing 8 hour telephone power backup. As I said, just takes engineering.

From what I can tell, the FCC isn't playing games and favorites with these broadband grants. They genuinely want to spread broadband into rural areas. They've allowed some pretty sketchy startups get funding with previous rounds. I expect SpaceX will figure it all out and get a slice of the pie if they want to abide by the now more reasonable FCC rules.

Reactions: bhzmark and mongo