Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other satellite dishes are statically-aimed at geostationary satellites and lack the ability to track the fast-moving LEO satellites that makes up Starlink. The Starlink "dishes" have an array of small antennae that allow for beam steering without having to move the hardware. So it's a combination of hardware and software that allows Starlink to work. Each is incompatible with traditional satellite internet systems.
I was referring to non satellite access. Starlink could appear to be a standard ISP with ground based router plugging into standard broadband cable. They would only leverage their own system over long distances where the Starlink satellites are in minimal use such as over oceans. This would save the cost of using under ocean cables.

I was referring to non satellite access. Starlink could appear to be a standard ISP with ground based router plugging into standard broadband cable. They would only leverage their own system over long distances where the Starlink satellites are in minimal use such as over oceans. This would save the cost of using under ocean cables.
Huh? So you want them to run a cable to every house in addition to having a dish? (The dish can't talk directly to a ground station, it has to bounce off a satellite.)

Or are you saying to setup a central dish, and then run cables to all of the customers in the area?

Reactions: Grendal
Huh? So you want them to run a cable to every house in addition to having a dish? (The dish can't talk directly to a ground station, it has to bounce off a satellite.)

Or are you saying to setup a central dish, and then run cables to all of the customers in the area?
No, maybe USA is different. I can change my ISP (fibre optic cable) next month without any infrastructure impact. Starlink can operate in the UK as a normal ISP such as Virgin, Now, Vodafone etc.

No, maybe USA is different. I can change my ISP (fibre optic cable) next month without any infrastructure impact. Starlink can operate in the UK as a normal ISP such as Virgin, Now, Vodafone etc.
Yeah, here in the US the ISP owns the cable all the way to the customer. There is no shared infrastructure. In general a given house only has two choices for non-wireless Internet: The cable TV provider or the phone service provider that has the monopoly in their area.

So, you want Starlink to enter the traditional ISP space. Why? What does that gain them? What would the customers gain? (The whole point of Starlink is to get high-speed Internet to customers that don't have access to high-speed Internet, or the Internet they have access to is way overpriced.)

Yeah, here in the US the ISP owns the cable all the way to the customer. There is no shared infrastructure. In general a given house only has two choices for non-wireless Internet: The cable TV provider or the phone service provider that has the monopoly in their area.

So, you want Starlink to enter the traditional ISP space. Why? What does that gain them? What would the customers gain? (The whole point of Starlink is to get high-speed Internet to customers that don't have access to high-speed Internet, or the Internet they have access to is way overpriced.)
I think there is money to be made somewhere here but maybe not worth the hassle. Customers gain because they get access to the satellites transferring their data over the oceans. Faster and presumably cheaper.

Reactions: Grendal
Standard fibre optic residential ISP in countries such as the UK.

Got it.

The answer is a pretty strong no. The real differentiator in Starlink over other ISPs is the actual infrastructure; at least relative to end users there really isn't much SX can bring to the table using the same fiber infrastructure some other ISP can use.

Starlink serving as an alternative backhaul of terrestrial service over remote/undersea distances is certainly plausible (and maybe that's what you're getting at?). But...that's more of a B2B relationship and, save for significant installations that would return material revenue to SX (like the Community Gateway), in most cases SX would rather just cut out the middle person and sell service directly to the end user.

Looks like SX wants to test out maritime gateways

This actually isn't a great development. The only way a gateway in the ocean works is as an up-down-up-down repeater (or, I suppose, if it's hacked into an undersea cable...). There are few practical reason SX would contemplate this kind of solution...two come to mind:
  • If the ISL network isn't performing as desired (potentially including reliability)
  • If the ISL network isn't being deployed fast enough to facilitate the right kind of traffic movement

Looks like SX wants to test out maritime gateways

This actually isn't a great development. The only way a gateway in the ocean works is as an up-down-up-down repeater (or, I suppose, if it's hacked into an undersea cable...). There are few practical reason SX would contemplate this kind of solution...two come to mind:
  • If the ISL network isn't performing as desired (potentially including reliability)
  • If the ISL network isn't being deployed fast enough to facilitate the right kind of traffic movement

Or, a multi-hundred passenger cruise ship exceeds the ISL bandwidth of one satellite (or the aggregate capacity of all in view).
Or, they plan to use ships at local cache, just like Netflix already does with geographically distributed servers. Ocean liner as both consumer and provider.
Or, SpaceX need more telemetry from its rockets and so is adding up to 4 domes operating at gateway frequencies to each of the 3 drone ships.

https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=338785&x=.

Or, a multi-hundred passenger cruise ship exceeds the ISL bandwidth of one satellite (or the aggregate capacity of all in view).
Or, they plan to use ships at local cache, just like Netflix already does with geographically distributed servers. Ocean liner as both consumer and provider.
Or, SpaceX need more telemetry from its rockets and so is adding up to 4 domes operating at gateway frequencies to each of the 3 drone ships.

https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=338785&x=.

I also wonder if a ship-based ground(errr... marine?)-station might have application for DOD use in Starshield.

Reactions: EVCollies and mongo