Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So are you saying that if we ever actually make it off the planet and go somewhere else we won't dramatically change that destination like we did with our own planet? Then what? We go somewhere else still leaving a trail of destruction behind us?

And sure most of our planets are just rocks floating in space, but do you think we'll stop there or do you think we'll eventually find somewhere with some weird green slime that needs eradicating. Or maybe we'll leave it alone, but the mega-kudzo vine that we brought with us will enjoy eating it

Then what is life anyway? Did the European explorers consider the people in the New World (tm) were actual people? or did they just think there was gold to be taken and the locals got int he way of the plundering?

Shall I mention Africa?

ἄνθρωπος μέτρον

Ánthrōpos métron.
“Man [is] the measure [of all things]”

What is false?
1: “…high speed”? (ie, we ain’t seen nothing yet)

2: “….$10bn in ‘24”? (ie, will hit only $9.94bn)

3: “…is discussing”? (ie, discussion has finished; it’s a done deal)

4. “…?…”)

So many choices….

Starlink is supposed to fund Starship and the plans for Starship. If Starlink is "spun off" into its own company via an IPO then how will it fund the big plans needed at SpaceX? I don't see an IPO as helping the LONG term plans. Colonizing Mars and needing and building a thousand or more Starships is just a huge vast sum of money. Probably along the lines of $10 trillion in my WAG.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Starlink is supposed to fund Starship and the plans for Starship. If Starlink is "spun off" into its own company via an IPO then how will it fund the big plans needed at SpaceX? I don't see an IPO as helping the LONG term plans. Colonizing Mars and needing and building a thousand or more Starships is just a huge vast sum of money. Probably along the lines of $10 trillion in my WAG.
I wonder if it's possible to spin off Starlink in an IPO, but retain a majority ownership by SpaceX itself? That would retain ongoing profits and control, and provide a large influx of cash to the parent company and give early SpaceX investors some liquidity.

Reactions: Grendal
Only need to spin off 10% of subsidiary to raise big bucks. The remaining 90% can be held and used as cash flow, for example. Although that all depends on the current ownership structure.

Depends on how the timing of the funding is needed.

I'm surprised it's not higher given the recent news of cash flow and starship progress.
What's the best business plan and investment case that have been published recently?

I liked Casey's blog but his last relevant post is from 2021.

I'd also like to hear ideas of other possible SpaceX Earth-based ventures – besides Starlink (well priced-in already, see $100B/y as forecasted by ARK), Earth-to-Earth transportation (incompatible with Tesla's mission) and orbit tourism. Like Tesla, with FSD, stationary storage and solar.