Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SteveG3 - Good question. In the $44.2B round, I never heard from them, but saw here that there was another round. I contacted them to invest and started the process, but things at TSLA were on the run back then (share appreciation post-split announcement) so I let TSLA run and by the time I got back to them (after TSLA went from $1,300 to $2,000) it was too late. Now we're at $3,400 pre-split and I would 'diversify' at $44.2B or something near it. Not sure about $92B.

Like many, I'm keeping track of this thread for when we can actually invest in SpaceX, but I just heard Cathie say they are looking into a SpaceX ETF in the Asian markets in a year or so. Not sure if we can be a part of this or not....anyway, just wanted to pass along the info.

Starts at 30 minute mark:

I believe Cathie is talking about the future potential for ARK starting a Space Exploration ETF. There are currently only a handful of Private Equity ETF's available to invest in, so I'm dubious she's referring specifically to Space Exploration Technologies Corp.

I believe Cathie is talking about the future potential for ARK starting a Space Exploration ETF. There are currently only a handful of Private Equity ETF's available to invest in, so I'm dubious she's referring specifically to Space Exploration Technologies Corp.
Ah, maybe so....I just know SpaceX is short for that, so I thought it was a possibility, but I could see what your saying as well.

They aren't barnacles and they aren't doing nothing. That's what the last guy who put together a pool of 150 or so investors found out when he tried to do what Sharespost is doing. Just for example, those investment docs were written by a very expensive lawyer. Every year, tax docs must be put together, etc.
I still hope that it is a doable enterprise. Just a napkin math - $50m fund will have $2.5m for startup expenses (5% initial broker fee), then 2% annual fee is $1m. Just drop the 20% success fee and everyone will be happy. Sounds like pretty enough to me - it is not an invention of a wheel, pretty standard documents I would guess and wouldn't require full time legal department to do that (and I know, lawyers live on the idea that every house buying contract is a snowflake and a state of art). Annual tax and regulatory filings of a fund that is not doing anything active also seems like doable thing covered by $1m. I had former SEC lawyers working with me on something - they are expensive, but would get super excited about the amounts listed above.
The hard part IMO is getting investors - and we have them here in abundance jumping on the opportunity.

I still hope that it is a doable enterprise. Just a napkin math - $50m fund will have $2.5m for startup expenses (5% initial broker fee), then 2% annual fee is $1m. Just drop the 20% success fee and everyone will be happy. Sounds like pretty enough to me - it is not an invention of a wheel, pretty standard documents I would guess and wouldn't require full time legal department to do that (and I know, lawyers live on the idea that every house buying contract is a snowflake and a state of art). Annual tax and regulatory filings of a fund that is not doing anything active also seems like doable thing covered by $1m. I had former SEC lawyers working with me on something - they are expensive, but would get super excited about the amounts listed above.
The hard part IMO is getting investors - and we have them here in abundance jumping on the opportunity.

Awesome! Let us know how it works out! :)

You had better be vastly overestimating startup costs. Those sound like startup arbitrary fees charged just because they can. I can't see any necessary startup costs that aren't fixed fees or close to it.

That’s probably fair for 2025, and also certainly fair to question whether Kuiper will actually become a thing. But...if they do, the issue Starlink will face is the same issue online retail faces with Amazon, where slim margins and undercutting are business as usual.

Starlink’s discriminator will indeed likely always be superior technology, but the average person/company doesn’t want superior technology, they want sufficient technology at the lowest price.
Given the pace of innovation SpaceX's rocket program has had as compared to Blue Origin's and the road map, I feel like Starlink will have the edge in launch costs for the foreseeable future as well. That may make undercutting difficult, unless Jeff feels like burning money to be a loss-leader...

Re. Collisions and size: Texas satellite company defends itself against NASA criticisms

Massive antennas beaming down 5G I guess (*waves hands*). They are partnering with Vodafone to begin with.

While a satellite might have enough transmit power and be able to use a ginormous antenna to transmit to a handset, it's hard to believe a generic unmodified handset would have enough power or the correct radiation pattern to allow it to transmit back to the sat... even with a high gain antenna at the receiving end.

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW and djy
Given the pace of innovation SpaceX's rocket program has had as compared to Blue Origin's and the road map, I feel like Starlink will have the edge in launch costs for the foreseeable future as well. That may make undercutting difficult, unless Jeff feels like burning money to be a loss-leader...

Yeah, that was the intimation. Of course there's adjacent/associated revenue opportunities and/or cost offsets with Amazon, considering things like their retail services (a SuperPrime bundle?) and the great big world of AWS. Starlink needs to purely rely on end user revenue.

Related, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon offers some satellite ops package where you can use some off the shelf Amazon Basics satellite transceivers in your whiz-bang pathfinder nano/microsat and receive buy-it-now level access to an otherwise pretty advanced global operations network. Not unlike Amazon retail, as it were...likely with similarly predatory underlying motivation, where amazon gets access to your satellite data or has some stake in the technology or whatever...

Cynicism aside, if you're going to build up a massive satellite operations infrastructure the likes of which the world has never seen (other than SpaceX), you might as well leverage it into a revenue center. SpaceX could theoretically offer something similar, but to date their motivations don't seem aligned with that kind of service.

Reactions: scaesare
I'm hoping to increase my SpaceX investment so if anyone has a lead on any new offerings (none from Sharepost right now as far as I know) let me know.

Although Cathie Wood is tight with Elon, I won't expect to see SpaceX included in this new ARKX ETF anytime soon.
Cathie Wood's ARK Invest plans 'ARKX' space exploration ETF to tap the growing industry
Seems silly to launch an ETF without a near term plan to offer SpaceX or at least Starlink though right? Perhaps the Starlink IPO is coming sooner than we think.

I'm hoping to increase my SpaceX investment so if anyone has a lead on any new offerings (none from Sharepost right now as far as I know) let me know.

Seems silly to launch an ETF without a near term plan to offer SpaceX or at least Starlink though right? Perhaps the Starlink IPO is coming sooner than we think.

I doubt a SpaceX IPO in the next five years, even ten. Starlink spin-off in a few years, but that won’t help this fund.

I do not think it matters to ARKX. Have you seen the high level of investor interest in SPCE? There will be plenty of customers for ARKX even without SpaceX. I just won’t be one of them.

Reactions: Nikxice
I doubt a SpaceX IPO in the next five years, even ten. Starlink spin-off in a few years, but that won’t help this fund.

I do not think it matters to ARKX. Have you seen the high level of investor interest in SPCE? There will be plenty of customers for ARKX even without SpaceX. I just won’t be one of them.
Investor interest is there, but is SPCE enough to be the anchor for an ETF like this? I'm thinking of how Tesla is the anchor for ARKK. Perhaps I'm just not familiar with enough of the players in the space. (no pun intended)