Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just heard from my guy at Sharespost.... he is hopeful there might be a SpaceX opportunity in Q2 now. If SpaceX blows up a few more test rockets on landing and gets in some arguments with the FAA...maybe the valuation will drop some by then :p

Reactions: Rb48888
Elon Musk talks Starlink IPO (teslarati.com)

Nothing new really. Elon said they would need to be able to have a steady cash flow first. I do wonder what this looks like to me as an investor in a SPV for SpaceX. I was not able to find answers about what occurs in a spin-off. I'm hoping I get shares at IPO rather than cash equivalent. Either way I think that will provide at least a 2x on my initial investment.

As a starter, if anyone is interested in the future, some tips I learned.

1. For all the leads I know, they require the Qualified Purchaser status. Not Accredited Investor.

2. If this is your first, be familiar with terms like: access fee, management fee and carry
You need to prepare yourself to get used to the 20% carry. Basically the seller takes 20% of the gain when you exit.
Many beginners find that hard to accept.

3. Cash needs to be ready. I needed to make a decision within 24 hours to book a block and I am asked to wire in the money within 3 days. Usually the money needs to move from broker to bank then to your seller's bank. That can take time and you might hit some limit about how much you can transfer out per day or per month by your broker or bank.

4. Study the SPV legal structure and legal docs. Super long to read and I only have 1 day to sign.

1. For all the leads I know, they require the Qualified Purchaser status. Not Accredited Investor.

2. If this is your first, be familiar with terms like: access fee, management fee and carry
You need to prepare yourself to get used to the 20% carry. Basically the seller takes 20% of the gain when you exit.

3. Cash needs to be ready. I needed to make a decision within 24 hours to book a block and I am asked to wire in the money within 3 days. Usually the money needs to move from broker to bank then to your seller's bank. That can take time and you might hit some limit about how much you can transfer out per day or per month by your broker or bank.

4. Study the SPV legal structure and legal docs. Super long to read and I only have 1 day to sign.

I'm assuming the investment is closed now for spacex?

There is wiggle room/gray area there FYI. Timing can be that quick, sometimes you have more time.

My experience with Forge Global was similar. Granted was two years ago... Did need to do the QP deal.

But nothing about a carry. They did have 5% broker fee to facilitate transactions....

Did have a long agreement to parse. But had more than 24 hours.

As for the money being ready to go, well of course.

What I would like to see is what happens with shares when company actually goes public. I will find out as one of the companies I own just went with a SPAC. Let's see how that works....

Reactions: Nocturnal
My experience with Forge Global was similar. Granted was two years ago... Did need to do the QP deal.

But nothing about a carry. They did have 5% broker fee to facilitate transactions....

What I would like to see is what happens with shares when company actually goes public. I will find out as one of the companies I own just went with a SPAC. Let's see how that works....
Seems like the fund will have a choice to give you stock or cash at that point. I don't love that part but that's the game I guess.

Cash needs to be ready. I needed to make a decision within 24 hours to book a block and I am asked to wire in the money within 3 days. Usually the money needs to move from broker to bank then to your seller's bank. That can take time and you might hit some limit about how much you can transfer out per day or per month by your broker or bank.

If only they took Bitcoin, transfer it in an hour :D

Was this a recent round and if so do you know when it closed?

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW

No more 0 carry deals since Aug 2020 based on what I see. Now the market average is 20%. I mean for SpaceX of course. Hope the 0 carry days will be back some day.

No more 0 carry deals since Aug 2020 based on what I see. Now the market average is 20%. I mean for SpaceX of course. Hope the 0 carry days will be back some day.

Wow. They are really squeezing people now. With the transaction costs included, looks like SP has to double at least before the buyer would start believing it was all worth it. The SpaceX demand right now is obviously huge. Perhaps unprecedented given the liquidity sloshing around. Can’t even get a straight answer as to what its MC is.