Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Launch/Satellite Contracts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"SpaceX has launched three Falcon Heavy rocket missions to date, all successfully,"

So... were the 2nd and 3rd launches video-cast? For some reason I don't remember those at all... it appears at least #3 was DoD, so was that hush-hush?

Reactions: Grendal
I'd say it's likely that SpaceX FH will get the Europa Clipper launch as well. Something similar to the Gateway pieces. It sure beats the $1 billion for an SLS launch. Nothing is finalized, but nothing else except a FH could do it until Super Heavy - Starship prove themselves. That will not happen before a deal is finalized with FH though. So it is going to be a FH.
148487813_4469067853109320_4954873905567568691_o.jpg

148393494_4469068003109305_296496151838638801_o.jpg

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW and Cosmacelf
All the savings SpaceX has given over the years to US tax payers has never been articulated and publicized by the media or even NASA.

To date its not as big as one might wish, because Falcon launches are largely replacing atlas 5…and while atlas is way more expensive, it’s not like Delta expensive.

For some napkin math, figure 30-40% of spacex launches are gub’ment paid for (so let’s say 40 launches), and figure they’re saving $100M/launch over atlas. Certainly $4B is nothing to sneeze at, though over 5+ years maybe it’s a little less impressive. That’s also before one factors the state-level benefit of multiple active launchers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
Yeah right.. close to a billion a year a savings is not that impressive.

Fair opinion.

Though…given that our national budget is $4-5T, IMHO less than a billion a year isn’t going to lead to any ticker tapes. NASA’s budget is a much more modest $20B or so, but of course the napkin math would have to be further refined—necessarily lower—to quantify some % savings against that ~$20B.

To be clear, it’s awesome that spacex can make things more cost efficient for The Man—if there’s anything we can all agree on as a nation its that we’d all benefit from serious reform around unnecessary/wasteful spending across the board. I just think it’s worth maintaining a modicum of grounded perspective on our statements here.

Why do I see predominantly a debbie downer negative attitude in your posts on SpaceX or Tesla?

The good news is, that’s not what you see. What’s happening is youre having a negative emotional reaction to something that seems to challenge the [unrealistic, reality-light] narrative you’ve built around your favorite brands.

Indeed, anyone who knows me enough to legtimally use the qualifier ‘predominantly’ relative to my posts knows I’m objectively pro spacex, pro Tesla, and pro Elon’s vision. I’m just not one to pull out the Pom poms anytime anything remotely good happens, fabricate excuses when something bad happens, or fling poo at anyone that’s not Elonco when they accomplish something meaningful (or suffer some unfortunate setback).

Sorry my persistent logic and reason has hurt your feelings.

• Funny
Reactions: Grendal and miimura
SpaceX is awarded a multiyear (through 2025) contract with Planet.com
Planet Signs Multi-Year, Multi-Launch Rideshare Agreement wi...

Good deal for Planet, probably yawner for SpaceX but that's ok. With all the Skysats now launched Planet is back to cubesats...unless they revive the next gen skysat/and or white page an ESPA/ESPA-G sized imager, but either way SpaceX's capability is what Planet needs. I didn't catch if it was exclusive (I suspect not) but its worth noting that Planet is the biggest player to date in rideshares, and the agreement is pretty solid evidence (as if any were needed) that SpaceX is very compatible with the opportunity-based rideshare strategy that Planet uses.

Flip side, planet also has a strategic partnership with Astra across the bay, and we know from public domain sources that Astra is keen to build out satellite capability (notably including the recent acquisition of Apollo Fusion)...so at least aspirationally it seems like the future is for those entities to collaboratively develop and deploy Planet sats.