Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Launch/Satellite Contracts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Filling up that launch manifest for 2019:

Spacecom returns to SpaceX for one, possibly two launches - SpaceNews.com

One launch is a free one to make up for the loss of the Amos 6 satellite. I doubt a guarantee is part of the contract but this might be an Elon thing. I expect SpaceX gave a replacement launch to make up for their culpability in the loss.

The article mentions that it is likely to launch on a flight proven booster.

On the plus side, they are optioning a second launch at regular pricing.

Last edited:
Not exactly a satellite contract but it will lead to missions and launches for SpaceX.

NASA certifies Falcon 9 for science missions - SpaceNews.com
"NASA has certified the current version of the SpaceX Falcon 9 to launch some categories of science missions"

If I have understood correctly SpaceX is not producing 'current version' any more. NASA's certification process is too slow or SpaceX development speed too high.

Reactions: Grendal
"NASA has certified the current version of the SpaceX Falcon 9 to launch some categories of science missions"

If I have understood correctly SpaceX is not producing 'current version' any more. NASA's certification process is too slow or SpaceX development speed too high.

Good point. NASA is deeply involved in the Block 5 upgrade though. That upgrade is directly related to design specifications needed for Commercial Crew. So it could be that the current version includes the Block 5 upgrade once it has launched and shown to work successfully. From what I understand, the Block 5 needs a minimum of seven launches before NASA will allow astronauts to be launched.

Another big one for SpaceX, three more launches from the Air Force. Three GPS III launches are split into 1 firm and 2 options for a total of ~$290 Million with ~$96 Million for the first one. Launch in March 2020.

Air Force awards big launch contracts to SpaceX and ULA - SpaceNews.com

Another contract is for the WorldView Legion satellites. Two Falcon 9 launches from presumably Vandenberg (because they're imaging sats) in 2021.

Website Temporarily Unavailable

So five launches altogether added onto the manifest.

So SpaceX will be paid $290 million for 3 launches and ULA will be paid $351 million for 2 launches.

SpaceX: $97 million/launch

ULA: $175.5 million/launch

There's no question that SpaceX is the least expensive orbital launch. America will want more than one choice for military launches even though one is much more expensive. The Air Force has already said they would be okay with reusability. So if these are modern contracts with reusability built into the deal then just getting the deal is a huge win for the company.

I expect that all future contracts with SpaceX will include a clause stating that reusability is a possibility. The Air Force could possibly force only new boosters but I expect by now it is not necessary.

Realistically SpaceX has enough launches on their manifest to keep them busy for the next three years. I also expect that SpaceX will get most of the future commercial launches that come up.

Gwynne Shotwell seems to agree with this sentiment:
SpaceX to fly reused rockets on half of all 2018 launches as competition lags far behind

Haven't seen this here, yet. It could go into any number of threads; SpaceX vs the Establishment, or Falcon Heavy, but this seems most appropriate.
SpaceX just sold the US Air Force the cheapest enormous rocket it’s ever bought

Wow, that makes 5 FH lauches on the docket.
SpaceX has four other Falcon Heavy missions on its manifest: Another US Air Force mission, this one to launch a series of experimental satellites, is expected this fall. The company also says it will fly heavy satellites for operators ViaSat, Arabsat and Inmarsat.

And at practically 1/3 the cost of Delta IV...

And at practically 1/3 the cost of Delta IV...

It isn't clear the ULA was bidding the Delta-IV H. Remember F9 flying recoverable could only do about 5,500kg to GTO. You start adding SRB's to a Atlas-V and you easily exceed the performance of a F9 flying recoverable. Instead of bidding a expendable F9, SpaceX could have bid the FH so they can recover all 3 boosters. This means the US Govt pays for 3 shiny new non flight proven F9-Block-V boosters and SpaceX gets to re-use those same boosters that are now flight proven for other customers.

What about the one that was supposed to be later this year with multiple payloads? I remember Bill Nye's micro satellite (the one with solar sails) for deep space was supposed to be one of them. He was there in the Falcon Heavy launch where he was a guest and he did mention that.

There's a bit of nuance in there that shouldn't be overlooked.

1. The Kazakhs are not paying SpaceX, they are paying Spaceflight.
2. The Kazakhs are not working with SpaceX on this launch, basically at all. Their interface, both during mission development and while at the launch site is Spaceflight.
3. While the exact price could differ a bit due to backroom discussions, its not like pricing is a secret: Spaceflight - Schedule and Pricing
4. Even if this satellite were to fly on a Russian launcher (like a Soyuz from Baikonur) they would most likely go through the Germans to get there (Home), so the insinuation that there's some Kazak pot stirring is a bit of a stretch.

Fun fact, the Kazaks 'own' one of the Proton pads in Baikonur as part of whatever deal the two have for maintaining what is essentially a Russian military base in the middle of Kazakhstan. Near as anyone can tell, the pad is completely unusable. Solid negotiating skills there!

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal and Joerg