Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-4 - Starbase TX - Launch Thread and Post Launch Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try and set up ahead of time for IFT-5.... it occurred to me last minute. Thanks for hanging out...
I'd be there.

Did the flip happen too late and too close to the ground? Did the engine light up too close to the ground? Did it even light up?
They had a good relight and flip, slowed to 2 km/h, then apparently cut the engines and dropped into the water. The engine telemetry was out, and the tank telemetry was useless because the vehicle doesn't use the main tanks for the landing.

The only word I have for that entry, descent and landing is "epic". What a beast of a machine. What amazing communications.

• Love
Reactions: Bull and scaesare
What I don't quite understand, they had two cameras in the ship and we did see two different views. But in the later part of the mission, only one that was close to the forward flag was used. And even when that one got covered in debris during the final parts of the landing, they never used the other camera... unless that one got destroyed much earlier

What I don't quite understand, they had two cameras in the ship and we did see two different views. But in the later part of the mission, only one that was close to the forward flag was used. And even when that one got covered in debris during the final parts of the landing, they never used the other camera... unless that one got destroyed much earlier

I was hoping they might switch as well... I suspect it may have gotten cooked...

Dodd just replayed the last part of the descent while it had been subsonic for a bit but before re-light , and pointed out we were still seeing flashes and reflections... he thinks "the ship was certainly on fire"....

They had a good relight and flip, slowed to 2 km/h, then apparently cut the engines and dropped into the water. The engine telemetry was out, and the tank telemetry was useless because the vehicle doesn't use the main tanks for the landing.

The only word I have for that entry, descent and landing is "epic". What a beast of a machine. What amazing communications.
Abso-****ing-lutely. Incredible that one flap (and maybe others) could appear to have been seriously damaged yet continue to function, and that the flip worked and a soft landing was achieved, and that it maintained telemetry and video through a cracked and damaged lens! “Epic” doesn’t begin to describe it.

IFT-5 is going to be even better!

Reactions: TunaBug

Yes but isn't it awesome that they didn't switch feeds? We had all written off that flap, and thanks to them not switching feeds we all got to see it continue to function. That flap is my hero.

Shot of the flap as it does a full swing downwards to right the ship before splashdown... look at that chunk gone!

1717684447004.png

How that thing still worked is mind boggling.... I wonder what the rest looked like?

On edit: @TunaBug agreed! It's The Little (big?) Flap That Could...

Reactions: TunaBug
My first quick data analysis says that reentry acceleration due to speed change was generally below 1g until they got down to maximum dynamic pressure, where it reached as high as about 1.5g. This seems to match up well with Space Shuttle reentry forces.

Did anyone else notice how long the vehicle loitered at 68km? They were really working to scrub velocity in the thinnest part of the atmosphere.

Edit: Note that the constant data link during reentry means there won't be a reentry blackout for Crew Starship. It'll be interesting to see if Crew Dragon (or any other such vehicle) can be retrofit with Starlink to eliminate reentry blackout as well.

Last edited:
On edit: @TunaBug agreed! It's The Little (big?) Flap That Could...

I can't decide whether that flap is the Little Engine or Jules Winnfield.

But more seriously, it has to be fundamentally gamechanging for them to have video feeds in order to figure out what happened. Not to mention a network for the feed so that they don't have to hunt down a black box. Will BO be able to do that?

Will BO be able to do that?
It's not clear what combination of things has to be in place. It may be that there is a huge communication window above any reentering vehicle, and the only thing that was ever needed for continuous communications was having some satellites to talk to. On the other hand, it may be that SpaceX was barely able to pull it off only because of the size of the vehicle, the number of satellites available, and their low altitude. On the third hand, the combination of Amazon's Kuiper and Blue Origin's Jarvis might produce an even better outcome. Time will tell.