Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-5 - Starbase TX - Pre-Launch Preparations Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Number three. The goal is to eliminate variables of motion. If the booster is against the left arm, then the left arm doesn't need to move, and the booster gets a bit of stabilization from that arm. At the same time, the target position for the right arm would be known precisely.

I'd let the booster settle onto the rails instead of trying to raise the arms. Once they're up to speed on cycling boosters, they can turn the whole booster catch into one fluid motion while the booster is gently descending.

Come to think of it, a cross piece that sticks out at a 90 degree angle from the left arm would also help. The booster could nestle into the crook of the arm and that would make it very stable while closing the right arm. The one drawback to this whole leaning thing is that it produces steel-on-steel contact. If the boosters are going to be cycled many times, that's going to wear the surface of the booster. I suppose they could introduce some kind of crush barrier on the booster and/or a cushion on the arm.

As I recall, the right arm has received all the testing and hardware upgrades, so they may actually be planning to do it this way. Hopefully, we'll see in a month or so.
Hmmm, ok...

I assume that the general idea is to avoid body-to-arm contact if at all possible. While the body is strong in compression along the vertical axis, I don't know that any lateral loading forces would be desired, they keep tanks pressurized to help with strength there, right? Maybe they've beefed it up there...

Last edited:
Reactions: JB47394
I don't know that any lateral loading forces would be desired, they keep tanks pressurized to help with strength there, right?
Yeah, the tanks are certainly pressurized. I was thinking that the external stringers would suffice to avoid any damage. The top of the booster is the only thing using the arm as a registration point, and there's not much mass there.

Reactions: scaesare
Yeah, the tanks are certainly pressurized. I was thinking that the external stringers would suffice to avoid any damage. The top of the booster is the only thing using the arm as a registration point, and there's not much mass there.
I wonder what kind of loading that maneuver would put on the body...

(also, I'd like to point out that I know it's spelled "axis" in my post above... duh...)

Reactions: JB47394
(responding to myself)

Saw this post at NSF stating the skin is only 3.6mm thick. I wonder what the stringers can withstand in side0loading forces rather than in compression?
The tanks are pressure tested to 8.5 bar, but apparently the operating pressure is 6 bar, and the engines will certainly be operating. That's 87 psi. The external stringers are about 10 meters long. The lift pin is positioned in the middle of a stringer, so say that the arm contacts the booster on the lower half of that stringer. Say that the contact would be spread out over perhaps four or five square meters. Five square meters provides 300 tons of pressure, though the stringer might crumple from that much pressure applied to a fairly small area of direct contact.

In the end, I wouldn't expect more than perhaps 10 or 20 tons of pressure from a booster doing this "leaning" thing. It's not supposed to be slamming into anything.

Reactions: scaesare
In that NSF video, Ryan reported that the FCC license for IFT-5 has been issued (it’s normal for it to be issued well before the FAA license) and it contains this:

IMG_0850.jpeg

Not sure if the highlighting is yours or someone else's, but the UN-highlighted part is insane: "return to launch site"!!??
Highlighting is not mine.

But "return to launch site" refers to the plan to try to catch the booster with the launch tower arms. This has been a Starship booster goal for years now.

Not sure if the highlighting is yours or someone else's, but the UN-highlighted part is insane: "return to launch site"!!??
To add to @ecarfan's information, Elon said right after IFT-4 that he was hoping that they could go for a catch attempt on the next flight. The booster completed a soft landing very close to their virtual tower on IFT-4, so they seem to have enough control to at least get close to a catch. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a result of the booster arriving near the tower, but no actual catch attempt being made.

I'll also add that catching the booster isn't just a goal, but a critical element of Starship's operation. Elon wants full and rapid reuse from this vehicle. He can't do much with Starship if they're launching a couple times a week. So both booster and Starship will be reused, and Elon aspires to a one hour turnaround on a booster, including propellant load. All the pieces are in place to make that happen, and it falls to material science and physics to see if they can do it.

The highlight reel of the booster finally being caught by the tower needs to be set to Elvis' "Return to Sender" as the soundtrack...
The movie version of Danger Zone for the highlight reel. The sound track starts very calm, which can match the free fall section. The music kicks in when the booster interfaces with atmosphere. From there, it would be a bunch of edits of the grid fins vibrating from the violence of descent, the engines firing up, and so on. Once the booster is caught, I'd transition back to the calm part of the sound track.

The movie version of Danger Zone for the highlight reel. The sound track starts very calm, which can match the free fall section. The music kicks in when the booster interfaces with atmosphere. From there, it would be a bunch of edits of the grid fins vibrating from the violence of descent, the engines firing up, and so on. Once the booster is caught, I'd transition back to the calm part of the sound track.
Someone needs to make this happen.

Reactions: Grendal
You have to scrub through this video to find the short periods when the chopstick arm is moving, and it’s not very exciting, but it appears that they were testing just one of the arms as part of the planning for catching the booster. The arm seemed to impact the test vehicle none too gently. The arms are massive and have a lot of inertia once they get moving.