Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-4 - Starbase TX - Launch Thread and Post Launch Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a day&night job so I sometimes miss things. I missed it but it sounds like it was incredible, we've got a helluva challenge on the ground in our east coast forests...maybe mass extinction of several species...sigh. Anyway, when I put my head up and see this..I smile. Maybe a brief hiatus but for just a moment. I smile.

Reactions: Grendal
So Elon stated “damaged flap” meaning only a single flap; I feared it was worse than that. But “loss of many tiles” is disappointing. I see a major change in tile attachment technique coming up.

I hope that the FAA can accelerate the timeframe for IFT-5 launch license issuance given that both the ship and the booster appear to have achieved a properly targeted soft landing.

I hope that the FAA can accelerate the timeframe for IFT-5 launch license issuance given that both the ship and the booster appear to have achieved a properly targeted soft landing.

Based on the part of the Ars article that @scaesare quoted in post 13 I'm hopeful that they won't need a big mishap investigation. Perhaps a naive hope, but after watching that flap anything can happen.

So Elon stated “damaged flap” meaning only a single flap; I feared it was worse than that. But “loss of many tiles” is disappointing. I see a major change in tile attachment technique coming up.

Did he state "only" one flap damaged though? Kinda hard to imagine the others also weren't, they just may have had immediate video for the one, and have to go over telemetry for the others

I think they bent one of the remaining vertical tanks. The perlite has been removed, so there's not much support there.

1717689369657.png

Did he state "only" one flap damaged though? Kinda hard to imagine the others also weren't, they just may have had immediate video for the one, and have to go over telemetry for the others

It still doesn't mean that there wasn't damage to other flaps.

Is it possible that a future version of Starship will only be Stainless steel and minimal tiles?

Like a thin layer of tiles and steel plates on top of it? The steel might ablate, but that is very easy to replace.

I don't think the tile material is the problem. It's the attachment mechanism. Changing to a different material doesn't address that.

I think they bent one of the remaining vertical tanks. The perlite has been removed, so there's not much support there.

I'm amazed that the infrastructure that's relatively close by survives 20 million lbs of thrust...

View attachment 1054137

It still doesn't mean that there wasn't damage to other flaps.

Yeah... I wonder if that thing landed on skeleton flaps.

The roll control authority looked outstanding... they definitely fixed the issues from IFT-3 in that regard.

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
I love watching replays of YouTubers like EA and others, but the thing I don't enjoy much is their visible over exuberance and extreme hyperbole. I like all the technical details and the context, background and all the other tidbits, but please tone down on the jumping up and down like a kid.

I don’t disagree, but for various reasons mostly resulting from waking up 15 minutes after the launch I ended up viewing the EA livestream (starting from t-1:00). And I was pleasantly surprised at how chill he was compared to the past. He was still waving his arms around like a crazy person, but he was a thumbnail in the corner, and he mostly didn’t interrupt the SpaceX commentary. Far better than I was expecting from past history.

It's not clear what combination of things has to be in place. It may be that there is a huge communication window above any reentering vehicle, and the only thing that was ever needed for continuous communications was having some satellites to talk to. On the other hand, it may be that SpaceX was barely able to pull it off only because of the size of the vehicle, the number of satellites available, and their low altitude. On the third hand, the combination of Amazon's Kuiper and Blue Origin's Jarvis might produce an even better outcome. Time will tell.
When you said "third hand" I think I got something in my eye..