Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...That capsule looks good... but why are the doors so thick? :biggrin:
LOL!

I'm amused looking at the clothes the technicians are wearing. Baggy shorts. scruffy slacker beards and t shirts. Growing up seeing the NASA guys all with pressed white shirts and skinny black ties thick black glasses over buzz haircuts, this is a cultural shift.

From the Bronco's to SpaceX?????

Tim T.jpg

SpaceX Announces Independent Safety Advisory Panel for Commercial Crew

Industry Leaders Lend Expertise As Company Prepares for Astronaut Flights

Hawthorne, CA - Today, Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), one of the leading private companies working to restore America's ability to carry astronauts to the Space Station, announced it has assembled a team of outside experts to help the company create the world's safest human spaceflight system.

"When it comes to manned spaceflight, safety is our top priority," said SpaceX CEO and Chief Designer, Elon Musk. "These experts will provide us with important insights as we prepare to carry astronauts on the next generation of American spacecraft."

The independent Safety Advisory Panel is composed of leading human spaceflight safety experts, including several former NASA astronauts and senior NASA officials. The panel will provide objective assessments of the safety of the Dragon spacecraft and Falcon 9 rocket to help SpaceX maintain the highest level of safety.

There's some discussion/speculation on this spaceflight forum thread about how independent this panel would really be, whether the persons selected are the best-suited for the task, and how much pull or enforcement ability it would have inside SpaceX.

The next major milestone for SpaceX (coming up in about a month now) is taking the unmanned cargo-version of their space capsule to the ISS, but SpaceX has always had a strong focus on human transport.

Mars for the 'average person' | KurzweilAI

If this is correct then I will be visiting Mars after I exit my current startup. Of course it's hard to see how it can be (perhaps million in the article should read billion?).

Edit: I stand corrected. Elon means it. $500,000 round trip to Mars, within the total wealth of an average person. Blimey. Really hope he is right.

BBC News - Mars for the

I am off to listen to the linked radio programme (Scott's legacy, Episode 2) in which Elon makes the claim

Last edited:
WOW!!! I've said I never want to leave the Earth. But half a million for a round-trip to Mars, I'm not sure I could turn that down. (I always said I'd never sky-dive. Then when I actually had the opportunity for a tandem sky dive, I could not turn it down.) However, in 15 years I'm sure I'll be too old and feeble. I'm 63. I'll be 78. No way will I be able to make that trip. Fooey! I wonder how long the trip will take. A few months, at least??? In a small space capsule crowded with the other tourists and crew.

I highly doubt that at 78 I'll be able to tolerate the stresses of launch, or the bone loss of several months of weightlessness during the trip. Broken bones and bone loss are significant issues at that age. I am active, and I jog or ride a stationary bike four to five times a week. But I'm also starting to get arthritis and my shoulders can no longer tolerate the weight work that would help maintain bone density. No, I'm afraid a Mars trip is too far in the future for me. It may be just as well, because I'd probably be space sick the entire trip. If they evaluate you on the "vomit comet" before they let you sign up for Mars, I'd be disqualified even if the trip was running now.

The length of the trip is another thing most folks are not thinking about. The moon is a few days away. But Mars would be months, maybe a year round trip. I hate sitting in an airplane for six hours. Imagine six months in a space capsule!

Status
Not open for further replies.