Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we were all going gaga over it at Nasaspaceflight.com :)

Best quote of the night "Some people like rocketry because of the big explosions, some because they like to see stuff launched into space. SpaceX, in their quest for efficiency, does both at once" :)

Strangely, I couldn't get it at the Nasa site. I connected fine with SpaceX's site and managed to link in about T-10. The first time I've managed to see a live lift-off online. Thanks to Doug and Bonnie catching my attention on this.

It was beautiful.

Officially this is not an explosion anymore:

SpaceX CRS-1 Mission Update: October 8, 2012 | SpaceRef - Your Space Reference

Approximately one minute and 19 seconds into last night's launch, the Falcon 9 rocket detected an anomaly on one first stage engine. Initial data suggests that one of the rocket's nine Merlin engines, Engine 1, lost pressure suddenly and an engine shutdown command was issued immediately. We know the engine did not explode, because we continued to receive data from it. Our review indicates that the fairing that protects the engine from aerodynamic loads ruptured due to the engine pressure release, and that none of Falcon 9's other eight engines were impacted by this event.

But looks like they still do not know what was root cause....

The space station astronauts are just glad that their fresh fruit arrived... :wink:
Heh. Don Pettit, the guy who was going on about wanting fresh fruit (and performed the Dragon capture last time) returned with Expedition 31 back in July, so he should have all the fruit he wants now. I appreciate his nerdy enthusiasm and the fun basic physics demos he did while on orbit.

Nothing's arrived yet.

OK:
http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20121008
Dragon is expected to begin its approach to the station on October 10, where it will be grappled and berthed by Akihiko Hoshide of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency and Expedition 33 Commander Sunita Williams of NASA. Over the following weeks, the crew will unload Dragon's payload and reload it with cargo to be returned to Earth. Splashdown is targeted for October 28.

The capsule isn't reusable yet either, though that is a design goal.

AFAIK, NASA doesn't want them to re-use Dragon capsules for the ISS resupply missions, but SpaceX would be free to re-use them for other purposes or customers. But to your point, they have yet to prove it i.e. fly one twice.

Congrats on Dragon's maneuver up to and capture by the ISS this morning!

Update on this is that that sat is a total loss.

SpaceX Engine Failure Claims Experimental Satellite | Autopia | Wired.com

Orbcomm, a satellite messaging service company, says its prototype satellite that was being carried in the unpressurized section of the Dragon did not make it to the proper orbit needed to operate as planned. The New Jersey company says it did not have enough propellant on board the satellite to successfully adjust the orbit and the satellite has fallen out of space and was declared a total loss as it burned up during reentry into earth’s atmosphere.

“Had Orbcomm been the primary payload on this mission, as planned for the upcoming launches,” the company said in a statement, “we believe the OG2 prototype would have reached the desired orbit.”

Despite writing off the satellite and filing a claim for the $10 million insurance policy, the company says they did manage to gather some useful data. The satellite remained operational for a short time, with the solar arrays deployed and the engineering teams on the ground able to communicate with the OG2.

Status
Not open for further replies.