Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...For those of you in Spain, how many did the drive down through France versus have it brought down on a truck? I'm currently weighing up the two options. It seems like charging stations for the journey are relatively plentiful now compared to when the first pioneers made the same journey, and I do love a good road trip. Time may not permit though, in which case I'd love to know how any of you organised a truck etc and what the cost / time taken was?

Hi Ed

As you might imagine I'm a fan of driving the car down. With the supercharger network there is you'd be crazy not to ... I mean, Europe is a beautiful place and the more we can get to experience it the better. I'd try to take back roads and stay in small villages on the way... wonderful!

Shipping it will cost either 3k€ if it goes on a dedicated flatbed, or about €500 if it can come on a multi-car truck, but that takes a longer time to organize as there needs to be enough cars going to Ibiza to justify the journey.

...My 2nd question is how have you managed the absence of service centres here in Spain? Has anyone actually driven up to Aix-en-Provence to get your car serviced yet, or has that not been necessary so far? And has anyone had a complete failure of the car and needed to send it to Aix-en-Provence on a truck to get it fixed? That would be a nightmare, especially from Ibiza with a ferry journey to make too.

Right now our Model S has a serious 12V issue and needs to be shipped to Aix. As it can't be moved using the motor it can't go on a shared multi-car truck so I need to pay a flatbed. This is going to cost about €2500 all in :( I will fly to pick up the car and drive it back.

This is a lot of money, but let's put it in perspective... The car is faster, quieter, more spacious and better for the planet than, say, an Aston Martin. Friends with Astons tell me that every 15k kms they need to service the car... and they pay around €8k for that! I have done 65k kms in the Model S. If I have to spend €2.5k every so often then no sweat.

I pay about €1.5k to get the Roadster looked at every year so an engineer catches a flight down and completes the service here at home. At the same time he services the Model S (there's nothing to do though!).

One day soon they will open a service center but in the meantime I can live with this situation. Compared to their combustion equivalents both the Roadster and the Model S are much cheaper to run and maintain, even here in Spain.

As for your solar charging question... If you can charge the car during the day you only need about 40sqm of panels and an invertor. This will charge the car at about 6kW peak so after a few hours you will have 20% more charge. If you drive about 100kms a day that should cover you. A full day charging could fill the battery even.

Hi!
This summer we're going to travel from the Netherlands to Spain with our beloved Tesla. We're located near Girona for 2 weeks. When we planned the trip 6 months ago, the Supercharger near Girona was under construction, but unfortunately it still is. Does somebody allready been to the Supercharger near Girona to view how far the construction is? And what advise can you give for charging the car in Spain. I've seen a lot of chargers in Barcelona, but not near Girona. What can you recommend? And do I need special charging (credit) cards or is charging mostly free?

Hope you can help out a bit. Thank you very much!

gr. Dennis

Hi dvotion!
The rumours keep saying that the supercharger in Girona will open next August 1st. Nothing has been said officially, so I won't rely on this being acurate. Works have not started in any case, so...

Best thing is to try to secure charging on the place you're staying at. There are a handful of charging spots in Girona area, but they are either unreliable, need a card that only residents can obtain (the LIVE card; it's free) or are very slow (schukos at 3.2 kWh at best). There is also a nearby fast charging station that you need a prepaid card from ibil (https://www.ibil.es/index.php/es/elige-tu-plan/ambito-publico/ibil-card). Price of fast charge is around 0.40€ or so per kWh. I recomend you to use electromaps.com to locate charging points.

Enjoy the summer! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ahora si se selecciona el español como idioma, también se escuchan las indicaciones en español con una pronunciación bastante buena.

Lo que me llama la atención es que la voz no sea la misma que la de google maps, pero supongo que es porque es la del navegador "offline" (Navigon). Me chirría un poco que casi todas las frases las empiece con un "Por favor". Es una forma muy educada pero muy poco eficiente de decirte hacía donde tienes que ir una y otra vez...

Hi dvotion!
The rumours keep saying that the supercharger in Girona will open next August 1st. Nothing has been said officially, so I won't rely on this being acurate. Works have not started in any case, so...

Best thing is to try to secure charging on the place you're staying at. There are a handful of charging spots in Girona area, but they are either unreliable, need a card that only residents can obtain (the LIVE card; it's free) or are very slow (schukos at 3.2 kWh at best). There is also a nearby fast charging station that you need a prepaid card from ibil (https://www.ibil.es/index.php/es/elige-tu-plan/ambito-publico/ibil-card). Price of fast charge is around 0.40€ or so per kWh. I recomend you to use electromaps.com to locate charging points.

Enjoy the summer! :)

Hi DGM73,

Thank you so very much!!! Really helpful information! I just ordered the IBIL card and I am very happy there is a fastcharge point nearby :)
What do you recommend for Barcelona? Is it somehow possible to use the B:MS card as a foreigner?

gr. Dennis

Hi dvotion!
I'm in the vicinity of Girona tomorrow: any idea WHERE I should look ?
If they are to be ready for 01/08, there must be a trace somewhere...